U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 PM

95 posts, read 112,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Makes NO difference whether it's 1987 or 1999 or 2009 they still have their hands out for a freebee.
Are you still referring to the university protests in Mexico city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM

6,572 posts, read 18,004,772 times
NOPE...just showing that over the years the invisible hand is still out there...it is just in so many different ways.

Sure...those who do not have anything still always want something they cannot afford to buy...many times due to there own fault... good or bad reasons.

I want a new caddy but cannot afford one today...maybe so after winning the lottery.

I will give two small situations of wanting and not being able to afford due to their own doing.

#1 Had a housekeeper that asked for some extra change to buy some diapers. I took her to the super mkt and bought $80 worth of groceries for her (free). Her husband with a cigarette in his mouth nodded his head thanks. He always had money for cigarettes and the baby was out of diapers. She said that they had to pay rent and were out of money.

#2 A woman could not afford a battery for her hearing aid so a friend of mine who was selling things at the weekend open air mkt would give one free every week while her husband stood next to her smoking a cigarette. He had money for cigs but no money for a battery.

These two situations happened here in Baja Mexico where I live.

Like I said...the hand is out there for something free all the time.

Steve

Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 AM

95 posts, read 112,077 times
Quote:
Sure...those who do not have anything still always want something they cannot afford to buy...many times due to there own fault... good or bad reasons.

I want a new caddy but cannot afford one today...maybe so after winning the lottery.
Does that only happen in Mexico?

I think wanting things you can't afford is a worldwide problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 AM

24 posts, read 17,128 times
Quote:
NOPE...just showing that over the years the invisible hand is still out there...it is just in so many different ways.

I will give two small situations of wanting and not being able to afford due to their own doing.

#1 Had a housekeeper that asked for some extra change to buy some diapers. I took her to the super mkt and bought $80 worth of groceries for her (free). Her husband with a cigarette in his mouth nodded his head thanks. He always had money for cigarettes and the baby was out of diapers. She said that they had to pay rent and were out of money.

#2 A woman could not afford a battery for her hearing aid so a friend of mine who was selling things at the weekend open air mkt would give one free every week while her husband stood next to her smoking a cigarette. He had money for cigs but no money for a battery.

These two situations happened here in Baja Mexico where I live.

Like I said...the hand is out there for something free all the time.

Steve
Maybe your problems with cigarettes instead of Mexicans!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM

Some do not choose to analize the words as they were written.

Like I said...many times do to their own fault...good or bad reason.

Key word would be priority is the problem with many.

My illustration was a true incident in both cases. Their priority was towards having bought cigarettes over another necessity.

If I have only a $5 dollar bill and have a choice of buying a pack of cigs or a burger...my stomach says burger....you see I could always BUM a cig from someone. (sometimes called mooching)

Problem with the majority on C-D is that they have NEVER spent time in Mexico amongst the people for a long extended period of time...seen how they live...work ethics...economic problems...good and the bad.

Same could be said about any country of choosing. They will all have similar situations if a person were to look hard enough.

Original point is the illegals looking for free things that they are accustomed to receiving...not everything but some things...thus the invisible hand being outstretched.

The way people make their bed is the way they sleep in it.

Steve

Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,088,941 times
so your wife is all about handouts also?? is that her mentality?

and my experience comes from living in LA, amongst tons of mexicans. i speak from experience as well. you talk about handouts very generally. i will be specific.

i rarely see latinos beggin. on my travels through mexico i have seen the entrepreneurial(?) spirit of mexicans.

even here in LA. one time on the train, a raggedy looking mexican (i asked where he was from[guerrero to be exact]) was weaving palm fronds into roses and crosses and selling them for a quarter. not asking for a handout.

the other day on the florence bus i saw on older gentlemen get on, say something to the bus driver and proceed to sing a vicente fernandez song. he then passed the hat around. wasnt asking for a hand out.

it reminds me of all the trovadores that jump on buses throughout veracruz, and michoacan and most states in mexico. they come on with a guitar and sing a song. thats their commodity.

i like this. even this dingy, punk looking white boy gets on the blue line in LA and plays rancid and sex pistol songs on his electric guitar. he only gets change sadly.

i see them selling their fruits. i see them selling religious bracelets. they set up taco stands on their front yards. they are pretty dammed hard workers. creative ones also.

anyhow, laugh some more.

generalizing about mexicans IS IGNORANT.
for a second.

Quote:
Well "The One" your apparent lack of knowledge on Mexico is showing.

Ignorant I'm NOT...but thanks for the compliment...I'm all SMILES...you made my day.

I speak of 16 yrs living in Mexico and part of that time with a Mexican wife.

Where is your knowledge obtained?

NO...generalization is not accepatable...I'm pinpointing from personal experiences...can you do the same?

Steve

Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM

tell me about it!!!

he tells me not to speak in generalizations, but is the one that made the biggest generalization on this board.

he tells other not to cite old instances, but he uses one 20 years old!

this guy is a joke of a poster!

he is dismissed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
You're the one that mentioned Mexican university students picketed because they wanted free paper and pencils 20 years ago.
I know the UNAM protests in Mexico city usually involve more complicated matters.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Taco stands in the front yard?...must be in Mexico and NOT the US.

As to my wife...she started out as a secretary in a very large Govmt owned company in Mexico...then to executive secretary and then to taking over his job. The only woman in the company to be a senior executive. She was the only woman amongst 12 senior executives.

Her answer to the illegals going to the states for work was that there was plenty of work in Mexico but they were too lazy to work. She was referring that the school education was available but many do not try to learn. A student in the secondary school must cut the mustard or they are booted out. Those that are booted out are the menial labor workers in the long run. I see it where I live.

As to all the so called people that are singing/playing an instrument/selling small odds and ends and the like are hustlers trying too get by without any form of education or trade training. They have brought on their own situation by their own doing.

Out of 100 people there will be a small percentage that will end up like those you describe. it is a law of percentages. Some will succeed in life and others will always have a hard time making ends meet.

Like I said before...the way they make their bed is the way they will sleep in it.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM

so your mexican wife is NOT looking for a handout.
see how generalizations dont work.
im glad you agree with me.

and yes, the tacos stands are in the US.

trova as a hustle? wow. they brought that upon themselves?
Bigger wow!!!

your are really dismissed now. thanks for showing more ignorance!

Quote:
Taco stands in the front yard?...must be in Mexico and NOT the US.

As to my wife...she started out as a secretary in a very large Govmt owned company in Mexico...then to executive secretary and then to taking over his job. The only woman in the company to be a senior executive. She was the only woman amongst 12 senior executives.

Her answer to the illegals going to the states for work was that there was plenty of work in Mexico but they were too lazy to work. She was referring that the school education was available but many do not try to learn. A student in the secondary school must cut the mustard or they are booted out. Those that are booted out are the menial labor workers in the long run. I see it where I live.

As to all the so called people that are singing/playing an instrument/selling small odds and ends and the like are hustlers trying too get by without any form of education or trade training. They have brought on their own situation by their own doing.

Out of 100 people there will be a small percentage that will end up like those you describe. it is a law of percentages. Some will succeed in life and others will always have a hard time making ends meet.

Like I said before...the way they make their bed is the way they will sleep in it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM

We are discussing the illegal situation of benifits and your mild insults show a persons true character.

I have not made any disparage remarks towards anyone including (The One).

You are comparing all those other then mexicans or hispanics.

My reference is with 16 yrs in Mexico and of first hand knowledge and not from reading the newspaper or watching the boob tube or believing hearsay links/posts on C-D.

Would like to hear how much time you have spent in Mexico to back up your knowledge on how they live...work...and the economy down south of the border. How many people live in a house...how do they get to work...how many hrs a day do they normally work...what is the avg pay scale for labor (uneducated) work. Wish to hear some knowledged answers.

All the illegals have no education and are at the bottom of the economic scale...otherwise they would still be in Mexico and working.

I'm from the LA basin area and in my former business travelled all over LA county and am familiar with the ethnic areas and where they are. I have worked in the Watts area (Central Ave) in the early 1950's and also in East LA before they built the San Bernardino Fwy to the San Gabriel Valley. Have seen it all.

Bottom line is that my experience and exposure to info far surmounts yours... The One.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration