U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is opposing illegal immigration but supporting legal immigration anti-immigrant?
no 67 74.44%
yes 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times

Advertisements

My husband family are all against illegal immigration. I came here legally and became a citizen earlier this year. It's not that hard and it cost me 680 dollars.
I have also never been a burden on society. I have always worked and paid taxes until last year when we moved to Chicago for my husband's new job. I have always respected the laws of this country and tried my hardest to adapt to the culture.
I have never met anybody who is against me being here.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-19-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
LEGAL IMMIGRATION is where you have a house surrounded by a fence and a gate that opens to allow some to enter with your permission.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is where you have a house surrounded by a fence and a gate that allows some to enter with your permission but many refuse to follow the rules or get the needed permission instead they climb over the fence and squat inside your home.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
That would be fine if doing it "legally" was acceptable, but it's not. It takes months if not years to get "approved". You can also go through all of that stuff and end up being "denied".

If legal immigration were as simple as showing up, filling out some paperwork, and buying/renting a home, then NO ONE would immigrate illegally in the first place.

The ONLY REASON 99% of people immigrate illegally is because the "legal way" is too burdensome.

It's just like speed limits. Most people speed on roads where they feel like the speed limit is "too low" and they DON'T speed on roads where they believe the speed limit is "fair". For example, a 3 lane freeway posted as 55 mph - everyone still drives 70-75 mph. But when you get to the section where it changes to 75 mph, do people start driving 90-95? No. They keep driving 70-75. Why? Because they believe that 70-75 mph is a "fair" speed limit for the freeway. So they follow the law when it makes sense and they ignore the law when it doesn't.

This is exactly the same as immigration. People who would otherwise migrate legally are forced to do so illegally because the law is too restrictive and they don't agree with it. If you made it less restrictive, they would gladly follow it.

Therefore, the premise of this thread (and your post) is wrong. In a vacuum, of course you could support legal immigration and not illegal immigration. But in the real world, the choice is either that you support the basic human right people should have in regards to freedom of movement - or you don't.

Supporting "immigration laws" means you want to deny people a basic human right.
Then where is the right of Americans to move to any country as they please?

It's far far easier to immigrate to the USA than it is to any other country in the world. That's why the USA has by far more legal immigrants than any other nation on the planet.

And exactly where is this "basic human right" defined? It's not in the US Constitution which is the law of this country.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My husband family are all against illegal immigration. I came here legally and became a citizen earlier this year. It's not that hard and it cost me 680 dollars.
I have also never been a burden on society. I have always worked and paid taxes until last year when we moved to Chicago for my husband's new job. I have always respected the laws of this country and tried my hardest to adapt to the culture.
I have never met anybody who is against me being here.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Most Americans actually like and respect immigrants who came the right way.

Anyone almost can actually see the need for a legal or orderly process for immigration. It cannot be the free-for-all it's become where millions can pour over the border, grab up jobs, be used to bring down wages.

All other countries have immigration laws and protect jobs for their citizens and legal immigrants.

Just because the entire over 2 billion impoverished of the world can't just come here even though they'd have a great life here on our generous welfare handouts, doesn't mean we can actually accomodate every one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or