U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is opposing illegal immigration but supporting legal immigration anti-immigrant?
no 67 74.44%
yes 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,804,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That was probably intentional? Or not.
I might agree with you,but I have to think about it.Or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:59 AM

30 posts, read 50,237 times
I'm sick of this country letting in the entire goddamn world, legal or illegally, and allowing them to get benefits.

The only way people should be able to get in is if they bring a skill or talent and won't leech off the country.

We cannot and should not be letting in a family of 9 from Liberia. Or hell, there was a group of refugees allowed in here not too long ago and within 48hours of being in the country one had stabbed another. We don't need this garbage.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM

32 posts, read 40,860 times
Both are out of control.

If you haven't seen Immigration Gumballs, do so.

Immigration Gumballs

and

Impacts of Illegal Immigration: American Infrastructure

Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM

874 posts, read 968,998 times
They are one in the same because there should not be any limits on immigration in the first place. So the terms 'legal immigration' and 'illegal immigration' make no sense. Either you think people should be able to move (and work) where ever they want, or you don't.

If you have a problem with people taking advantage of the welfare system, then your issue should be with the welfare system, not with immigration.

For example,

Quote:
We cannot and should not be letting in a family of 9 from Liberia.
Why? If they can pay for and support themselves, then what is the problem? If you don't think the government should pay for their food/housing, then that's fine, but that is not the same as saying "they shouldn't be able to come here".

Of course they should be able to come here. But if they get here and starve because they can't afford it, or find work, then it's up to them to leave, it's not up to where ever they show up to support them.

But it's ALSO not up to that same location to have to support the single mother just down the street with 6 kids who doesn't work either. Why should she get free food/housing but the people from Liberia shouldn't? That makes no sense. Just because they were born somewhere else, "**** them", but this ******* who won't keep her legs shut, yes let's keep throwing money at her to let her stay here? Great argument...

No, your issue is not with "immigration", it is with welfare.

If a family of 9 from Liberia wants to move here, and can find jobs/support themselves, then why shouldn't they be able to?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM

874 posts, read 968,998 times
Like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I support legal immigration and would have no problems with illegals if they made halfway attempts at learning the English language and making sure their kids learned it as well. But I'm absolutely sick of looking at dual languaged signs in english/spanish and hearing customer service on the phone in english/spanish. And the fact that they dont pay taxes but EVERYONE knows our taxpayers dollars are going to fund something that benefits them. Absolutely ridiculous...
Who cares what language "they" speak? Oh no, you might have to learn some new words. God forbid! But, on the other hand, don't you think they would make more of an effort to learn the local language and customs IF THEY FELT WELCOMED? Would you bother trying to learn the language of a location that you moved to if they called you an "illegal" and basically told you "you aren't one of us"?

Also, don't you realize that the ONLY REASON they don't pay taxes is because they aren't allowed to. If you let them get citizenship, then they would immediately start paying taxes. Making them "illegal" means they CANNOT pay taxes. You are the one who is preventing them from paying taxes (by making it impossible for them to pay), and then you are complaining about them not paying!! lol

Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Every nation on the planet has immigration laws and rightly so. These laws are intended to or should be designed to protect the interests of the nation. The needs of the applicant are irrelevant. Does the USA need 100,000 people who can not speak the common language of our nation? NO
Do we need 100,000 people who can't read or write and have few marketable skills? NO
Does the USA need 100,000 people who would be unable to support themselves? NO
What we do need are educated immigrants who are willing to adapt and apply themselves. We need people with skills this country lacks.
I support legal immigration, I am married to a legal immigrant now a citizen. I am absolutely against illegal immigration. Never reward a cheat, never reward the criminal.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Like this...

Who cares what language "they" speak? Oh no, you might have to learn some new words. God forbid! But, on the other hand, don't you think they would make more of an effort to learn the local language and customs IF THEY FELT WELCOMED? Would you bother trying to learn the language of a location that you moved to if they called you an "illegal" and basically told you "you aren't one of us"?

Also, don't you realize that the ONLY REASON they don't pay taxes is because they aren't allowed to. If you let them get citizenship, then they would immediately start paying taxes. Making them "illegal" means they CANNOT pay taxes. You are the one who is preventing them from paying taxes (by making it impossible for them to pay), and then you are complaining about them not paying!! lol
So an entire nation should learn the languages of every immigrant that enters rather than the immigrant learn the language of the host nation? Yes that makes perfect sense. NOT.
If they felt welcomed? Do you go places where you are not wanted? I don't. Iran for example. NO I would never go there.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 PM

31,543 posts, read 14,591,651 times
The poll and this topic is ridiculous anyway. Of course someone can support legal immigration while being opposed to illegal immigration and it does not make them anti-"immigrant". Sounds like one of the claims that the pro-illegals always make and the lines they blur between legal and illegal to call those of us for the enforcement of our immigration laws as being anti-"immigrant". This nonsense gets nauseating after awhile.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,285,578 times
No, anti-illegal immigration is not necessarily anti-immigration.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post
is it possible for someone to support legal immigration but be opposed to illegal immigration?

i've been told that if you don't like illegal immigrants, you're anti-immigrant and racist and xenophobic and everything bad.

is that true?

does anti-illegal immigration = anti-immigration?

explain...

Pretty simple and uncomplicated: Legal Immigration is"Legal", Illegal Immigration is "Illegal".

I have no problem with anyone who immigrates legally like my Grandmother and the rest of her family in the 1920's. They followed the law, met all the requirements and were allowed to immigrate not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or