U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is opposing illegal immigration but supporting legal immigration anti-immigrant?
no 67 74.44%
yes 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM

31,491 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; the REAL reason is English THE main language in the world. Spanish is nothing except in Spain and LatAm. I know it makes some Hispanic people cry but, it is what it is.
Yes, many Hispanics in this nation "cry" if everything isn't provided to them in Spanish. Pot, kettle, black. As for American native English speakers doing likewise in a country whose national language isn't English I feel the same about them. If one is going to reside in a country then they need to learn the language of that country and not demand that things be provided to them in English. As I have said before, a traveling tourist would be different. However, even tourists shouldn't demand that they be accommodated in their native tongues while visiting either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, many Hispanics in this nation "cry" if everything isn't provided to them in Spanish. Pot, kettle, black. As for American native English speakers doing likewise in a country whose national language isn't English I feel the same about them. If one is going to reside in a country then they need to learn the language of that country and not demand that things be provided to them in English. As I have said before, a traveling tourist would be different. However, even tourists shouldn't demand that they be accommodated in their native tongues while visiting either.
Agreed.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All jobs in this country are meant for either citizens or legal immigrants. It is against the law for illegal aliens to come here and take them and rightly so! That's all we need is more competition for what scarce jobs there are with 23 million Americans out of work. Not only that but the greedy employers who hire them are just fattening their own wallets by paying them less and then passing their social costs on to us. How anyone is ok with that is beyond me.
If you guys on the right would just stick with this argument, then you'd actually make allies. But, no, all you guys always go on your anti-Spanish that comes across as racist and anti-Hispanic rants that turn a lot of people off from your side of the argument.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you guys on the right would just stick with this argument, then you'd actually make allies. But, no, all you guys always go on your anti-Spanish that comes across as racist and anti-Hispanic rants that turn a lot of people off from your side of the argument.
You need to face up to the fact speaking especially Mexican "Spanish" in the US has become a marker for possible troublemakers in 2013. It ain't racism either. More and more people ARE turning against amnesty and bi lingual education by the day.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And that is as far as the "My House / My Country" analogy needs to go, lest anyone think they have an overseeing individual ability to change immigration into what they want...

et tu, "tinman"?:

I am, it is still a small world. Under my prior employment, I really cared: I didn't want to visit that country during Sandstorm, Trench Foot, or Pirate season...

And she isn't among the originating nationalities (it's a short list) mentioned when all the yahoos around here start talking about stopping immigration from those countries...
We as citizens can't control who our neighbor might be. But our Fed should control who is allowed to enter. They should have to meet a standard. We don't need illiterate, uneducated or non-skilled workers. We produce enough of these already.
Criminals.
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_20322491
Pa has 265 violent Illegals in prison.
Border States Deal With More Illegal Immigrant Crime Than Most, Data Suggest | Fox News
11% of AZ prison population is illegal criminals.
12 % of Ca prison population.
I can go on and on. Even 1 is too many.
The world.
The world is not our problem, by minding everyone elses business we have become the worlds problem.
I have no control over life in Liberia, Mexico, Ireland, Canada or anywhere else. The purpose of our fed is to protect the best interests of this nation the United States of America. We may disagree with how Egypt or Syria treats their citizens, but at the end of the day not our business and certainly not our problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM

34,555 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Who are you listening to?
Everyone knows this country was built by immigrants who brought an ethnic salad of ideas and hard work. We are a country of laws which are intended to protect us. Immigration laws should be enforced. Illegal immigration is sucking the life out of social programs and school systems.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or rather it is "non-violent" offenders:

Quote:
There are currently 265 non-violent illegal alien offenders being housed in state prisons across the Commonwealth [of Pennsylvania], and dozens more enter the system each year.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM

There is nothing racist about protecting our identity as a country which includes our national language, culture and heritage. It is those who wish to change it that I question THEIR motives. These same people are usually those who defend illegal aliens and call law abiding Americans racists. Talk about twisted logic! I don't see this as a right or a left issue. It is a national issue.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-23-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We as citizens can't control who our neighbor might be. But our Fed should control who is allowed to enter. They should have to meet a standard. We don't need illiterate, uneducated or non-skilled workers. We produce enough of these already.
Criminals.
Bill would allow immediate deportation of illegal aliens convicted of non-violent crimes - Chambersburg Public Opinion
Pa has 265 violent Illegals in prison.
Border States Deal With More Illegal Immigrant Crime Than Most, Data Suggest | Fox News
11% of AZ prison population is illegal criminals.
12 % of Ca prison population.
I can go on and on. Even 1 is too many.
The world.
The world is not our problem, by minding everyone elses business we have become the worlds problem.
I have no control over life in Liberia, Mexico, Ireland, Canada or anywhere else. The purpose of our fed is to protect the best interests of this nation the United States of America. We may disagree with how Egypt or Syria treats their citizens, but at the end of the day not our business and certainly not our problem.
The majority of Americans are not suggesting that we end immigration from a certain country or ethnic group. As for me I just think our immigration numbers should be more diversified. How is that wanting to end immigration from a certain group? I am just running this by you tinman because I know you aren't an advocate for that either contrary to those who like to claim so. The fact that most illegals are Mexicans or other Latinos takes away from diversity even more so. We need to rid ourselves of illegal aliens and then set a policy that is fair to all groups, IMO.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM

7,402 posts, read 3,854,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post
is it possible for someone to support legal immigration but be opposed to illegal immigration?

i've been told that if you don't like illegal immigrants, you're anti-immigrant and racist and xenophobic and everything bad.

is that true?

does anti-illegal immigration = anti-immigration?

explain...
In general, the people who are the most outspoken against illegal immigration are also strongly against reforms to existing immigration laws. I think it is the laws that are the real problem. In total disregard to every lesson learned from the 1800's, the USA spent much of the 20th century making legal immigration insanely difficult. Direct result = lots of folks said "screw it" and skipped the legal immigration process entirely. That's how you end up with more than 12 million illegals -- and we did it to ourselves.

We successfully did this to ourselves:

Moderator cut: copyrighted image removed

At the end of the day, the law is the law. That is true. Illegal immigrants have broken the law. But the real issue is getting rid of all of our failed immigration policies and coming up with ones that actually work. And clearly, we need to figure out something better than deportation for the 12+ million illegals that are already here. The cost and effort to actually find and deport 12 million people that don't want to be found -- that is beyond insane. We need to come up with a better idea.

Last edited by Yac; 08-26-2013 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or