Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is opposing illegal immigration but supporting legal immigration anti-immigrant?
no 67 74.44%
yes 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

Again, where is the logic that it's okay to help poor people who were born in Arizona, but it's not okay to help poor people who were born 60 miles away, in Mexico? That is **** logic, any way you look at it.
Mexico ain't poor like Haiti; let the Mexicans help their own out IN Mexico.

We in the US have many down and out Americans whose wages have DROPPED because of ILLEGAL aliens. That's NOT Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
You know I went to go check on that 47% and this is what i found

So there is some basis for the 40 percent figure. However, it’s important to keep two bits of context in mind:

• This statistic addresses households headed by an illegal immigrant. However, many of these households include American citizens within the family, often children who were born in the United States and who received citizenship at birth. Indeed, given the web of restrictions on the granting of government benefits to illegal immigrants, most of the "welfare" benefits being counted in the CIS table are going to citizen children, not to adult illegal immigrants. Indeed, the government is responsible for checking the immigration status of people receiving benefits.

It’s true that some types of benefits, such as food stamps, can be shared among all members of a family. An illegal immigrant, for instance, may end up eating food bought with a citizen relative’s food stamps. Still, the Facebook post’s phrasing -- that 41 percent of illegal immigrants are on welfare -- is misleading because it ignores that the benefits in question are generally going to American citizens.

• We suspect that when many people hear the term "welfare," they think of cash benefits. However, very little cash assistance is going to illegal immigrants. According to CIS, less than 1 percent of illegal-immigrant-headed households included anyone receiving direct government cash assistance, such as Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or state-run cash aid. This is not surprising: Illegal immigrants are generally barred from receiving such payments.

Instead, the kind of "welfare" these households received were primarily one of two types: health care or food.

In all, 27 percent of such households received coverage from Medicaid, the federal-state health care program for the poor, while 33 percent received food assistance, such as free or reduced-price school lunches, food stamps, or benefits from the Women-Infants-Children program (WIC). As noted earlier, many of the recipients of these programs were actually citizen children of illegal immigrants. Few illegal immigrants received housing benefits, the other major category of assistance from the government, CIS found.

Medicaid and food assistance certainly qualify as government benefits, and they cost the taxpayers money. But it’s less clear that they fit the commonly understood definition of "welfare."

Our ruling

The Facebook post’s first claim, that "less than 2 percent of illegals are picking crops," is close to correct. The post’s second claim, that "41 percent (of illegal immigrants) are on welfare" is misleading. Most of the "welfare" benefits in question are going to U.S. citizens who live in illegal immigrant households, not directly to illegal immigrants, and very little of it comes in cash form, which is the traditional definition of "welfare." On balance, we rate the claim Mostly False.

And this is the website that I got it from.

PolitiFact | Facebook post says "less than 2 percent of illegals are picking crops, but 41 percent are on welfare"
CIS also calls free or reduced-cost school meals "welfare". I have found PolitiFact to make investigative errors (calling those with ITINs "undocumented workers", when someone with an ITIN may not necessarily be working, or even living in the United States to be working without authorization). Some say I disregard the proffered source, when they accept it without that critical-thinking analysis.

Today I even saw American Renaissance quoted by a member here at City-Data. Yesterday it was the "New Century Foundation" quoted (by a different member) with their "color of crime" website. Are C-D members actively browsing White Nationalist content to get their information?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
CIS also calls free or reduced-cost school meals "welfare". I have found PolitiFact to make investigative errors (calling those with ITINs "undocumented workers", when someone with an ITIN may not necessarily be working, or even living in the United States to be working without authorization). Some say I disregard the proffered source, when they accept it without that critical-thinking analysis.

Today I even saw American Renaissance quoted by a member here at City-Data. Yesterday it was the "New Century Foundation" quoted (by a different member) with their "color of crime" website. Are C-D members actively browsing White Nationalist content to get their information?
I saw that, and sometimes I wonder. Although one of the posters you are referring to doesn't come across as racist to me, the other ones do despite the denial. Their tone and rhetoric do not match their assertion.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Your house is smaller so it isn't right that you should have to assume the burden of others. I agree, I also agree that it is your home and you have the right to decide who may enter and dwell within your home. A Country is big and our government has a responsibility to protect the interests of our own citizens. That includes filtering who may enter and stay...
And that is as far as the "My House / My Country" analogy needs to go, lest anyone think they have an overseeing individual ability to change immigration into what they want...

Quote:
...You say that criminals are a none issue and yet our prisons seemed to be filled with illegals who have committed violent crimes...
et tu, "tinman"?:

Quote:
A Department of Justice report from 2003 found that only 1.6 percent of the state and federal prison populations was under Immigration and Customs Enforcement jurisdiction, and thus known to be illegal immigrants. Half of these prisoners were detained only because they were here illegally, not for other crimes.

Quote:
...To be honest I am not at all concerned with how bad life is in Liberia, Somalia or haiti...
I am, it is still a small world. Under my prior employment, I really cared: I didn't want to visit that country during Sandstorm, Trench Foot, or Pirate season...

Quote:
...I am married to a legal immigrant. She speaks 5 languages, college educated and is not one of 47% on the take from the fed...
And she isn't among the originating nationalities (it's a short list) mentioned when all the yahoos around here start talking about stopping immigration from those countries...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I agree....you send 10 million folks from the U.S. down there and see how THEY feel in a year....Have our folks take THEIR jobs(American corps would be hiring us down there anyway,just at slave wages) and although they don't have many social programs,we could overburden the ones they DO have.

Then we could start marching and claiming Mexico as ours.

I think we figured out that we don't want Mexico in about 1848.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

It wouldn't be the first time that I have heard that. I didn't know that about the site, but I did find out that they keep saying that now it's 60% of immigrants on welfare...however they combine BOTH legal and illegal immigrants..that's not right..someone has an agenda here. Why can't they count just illegals?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I think we figured out that we don't want Mexico in about 1848.
Yeah, well since you brought it up..it was a bunch of whiny ass american's who couldn't hack it..but omg..i have to speak spanish??? Why? I can't read the signs..wah wah wah..kinda like it is now..all americans do is complain nowadays, and they expect others to cater to them outside of the united states.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Oh yeah, I wanted to address this too.

1) No, I don't care. They are all people. Your arbitrary distinctions do not change that.

2) Sorry to burst your bubble, but even under YOUR definition, legal immigrants ARE "American"

3) Yes, because I fail to see how it is good to keep people separated by arbitrary laws solely based on where you happened to be born.

I know what you are getting at, that we need laws to "protect American jobs" but this makes absolutely zero sense considering that we are talking about people who would be moving here to work those jobs. That means they would be Americans who are working "American jobs" - so what is the problem? Just that their names might be Jose or Mohammed instead of William? oh no Again, that's just being racist - you want white Willy to have the job only because he's white and "like you". How is that NOT racist? Otherwise, why do you care who does the work as long as it gets done?
Willy can be black too.

American doesn't always equal white.
You are using the race card,which is unfair.

Illegal immigrations hurts black americans the most,sorry but I had to put that out there.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
All jobs in this country are meant for either citizens or legal immigrants. It is against the law for illegal aliens to come here and take them and rightly so! That's all we need is more competition for what scarce jobs there are with 23 million Americans out of work. Not only that but the greedy employers who hire them are just fattening their own wallets by paying them less and then passing their social costs on to us. How anyone is ok with that is beyond me.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Yeah, well since you brought it up..it was a bunch of whiny ass american's who couldn't hack it..but omg..i have to speak spanish??? Why? I can't read the signs..wah wah wah..kinda like it is now..all americans do is complain nowadays, and they expect others to cater to them outside of the united states.
Uh; the REAL reason is English THE main language in the world. Spanish is nothing except in Spain and LatAm. I know it makes some Hispanic people cry but, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration