U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- An Arizona man caught leaving water bottles in the desert for illegal immigrants has been sentenced to 300 hours of community service and a year of probation, an aid group said.
Walt Staton, a member of the group No More Deaths, left full water bottles in December in Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge for the illegal immigrants who routinely pass through the 18,000-acre refuge, according to court documents.

A judge sentenced him Tuesday to 300 hours of picking up trash on public property and a year of probation, No More Deaths said in a written statement. He is also banned from the refuge during that time, the group said.

Man sentenced after leaving water bottles for immigrants - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
well he WAS littering.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Sounds to me like this guy was following his conscience in helping those whom he saw as 'fellow humans in trouble'. The dictates of his conscience came into conflict with civil law...in this case, the law which penalizes those who would aid and facilitate illegal immigration.

The man made a moral choice, and he's apparently willing now to pay the price for what he did. I have no problem with that, and I'd like to see EVERYONE as focused as this guy. He may be a lot of things, but he's certainly no hypocrite....and for that, I admire him.

We live in a country that has a TREMENDOUS problem with illegal immigration. If that fact doesn't impress you, and you still want to 'aid' the illegals.. Fine !....Sponsor a family...or sign a paper agreeing to financially support an illegal person...take one or two into your home....or submit to a voluntary 'paycheck allotment' setting aside a certain part of your pay each month to pay for illegals' health care, education, etc.....as long as you agree to 'pay the price' for your beliefs that our immigration laws are 'wrong', and illegal immigration is 'right'..then I can't argue with you.

Few people, I believe, would be willing to do that. The man in the story was.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Good.

Everyone who does garbage like that deserves to be punished for their stupidity.

It's too bad that the money and effort wasted on buying the water, containers and transporting everything couldn't be sent to someone or some group in Mexico/Central America that could actually assist the potential illegals in their homelands.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,000,380 times
Good. I am glad. I understand wanting to help your fellow humans but this goes too far.

Hopefully anyone else who is aiding illegals into this country sees this as an example.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM

254 posts, read 416,929 times
He was aiding and abetting alien criminals violating the laws of the United States. This should give him a good warning that we aren't kidding with our laws, and if he dares violate them again slap him with a nice jail sentence.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
A

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds to me like this guy was following his conscience in helping those whom he saw as 'fellow humans in trouble'. The dictates of his conscience came into conflict with civil law...in this case, the law which penalizes those who would aid and facilitate illegal immigration.

The man made a moral choice, and he's apparently willing now to pay the price for what he did. I have no problem with that, and I'd like to see EVERYONE as focused as this guy. He may be a lot of things, but he's certainly no hypocrite....and for that, I admire him.

We live in a country that has a TREMENDOUS problem with illegal immigration. If that fact doesn't impress you, and you still want to 'aid' the illegals.. Fine !....Sponsor a family...or sign a paper agreeing to financially support an illegal person...take one or two into your home....or submit to a voluntary 'paycheck allotment' setting aside a certain part of your pay each month to pay for illegals' health care, education, etc.....as long as you agree to 'pay the price' for your beliefs that our immigration laws are 'wrong', and illegal immigration is 'right'..then I can't argue with you.

Few people, I believe, would be willing to do that. The man in the story was.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
People like this *may* have good intentions - I'm not so sure. Leading people to believe there are water bottles placed every part of the way is actually a big lie and cruel when it comes down to it. He may have scattered a few bottles around but could not possibly cover many square miles. He'll make sure word gets out what a great do-gooder he is, and of course some gullible souls will decide to make the desert journey, believing they'll encounter his water bottles.

The more stories there are of these water stations and bottles, the more deaths happen.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
I know many environmental groups that pop the containers and haul them out. Trash in the back country really angers these groups.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:15 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
I live close enough to the Border to see it. You wouldn't believe the amount of trash illegals leave.
If it were me I'd leave the bottles there and set up an ambush though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or