Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Money. It's too expensive to end illegal immigration via enforcement only. Imagine the cost of having a wall from the Pacific to the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine the man power needed to make sure nobody crosses said wall. The sector enforcement doesn't work. The wall in San Diego just pushed illegal immigrants further east. Nothing changed for the city of San Diego.

Conflict. Unfortunately, this has become an ethnic issue. Even on this forum, any time illegal immigration occurs, it conjures images of Hispanic people. Not Asians, Europeans, Africans...Hispanics. This is due to the obvious. However, many that would feel compelled to border enforcement will frame the issue as an Anglo vs. Hispanic issue (not White, but rather American...some may see it as a White vs. Mestizo issue). Enforcement will take a personal tone and could lead to violence. It has happened in the past.

We can find better solutions. We should encourage legal immigration and incentivize that. We should see what other countries are doing and see what they are doing right or wrong. There are better ways than a militarized border zone.
The oath comes to mind: To defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic....
We have the finest military on the face of the planet. Use this Military to secure our borders ... The cost? The soldiers are already being paid. No cost for that manpower. Equipment? Our soldiers are already equiped. No cost.
The wall? Already started now lets finish it.

Last edited by tinman01; 08-14-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Too expensive? How? We wouldn’t need a wall if our laws were in fact being enforced.
To stop the flow, it would require a veritable army from the Pacific to the Gulf. Then patrols on the Pacific and the Gulf. Also we would need to check EVERY single person who enters into this nation and keep tabs on them. That's not a cheap feat.

Thus, a more mutual way is beneficial for both parties.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
(1) Some people feel 'guilty' taking any stand, or any action, against anyone they see as 'less fortunate' than they are. "We're all rich", the reasoning goes, "and they're all poor". Thus, in these people's eyes, limiting the movements of illegals is seen as 'victimizing' the poor..The Catholic Church (my church) relies on this approach in its frequent writings about the problem.

(2) Some people see this as an ethnic (or racial) issue....since the overwhelming majority of today's illegals are from Mexico, or nearby Central America, anyone objecting to illegals is seen as 'persecuting Hispanics'. Hispanic Americans may feel pressured to side with illegals, or risk being accused of 'betraying their people'.

(3) Some people just get a kick out of 'upsetting' mainstream Americans, and will side with ANY cause that makes 'waves' with the public....whether it's illegal immigration or any other cause.

(4) Some people are closely related to illegals, and thus are not able to see the problem objectively; to them, it's a matter of family and loved ones.

(5) A few people are amused by the whole thing, seeing illegal immigration as a sort of 'reconquista', and finding humor in the fact that this is some sort of karmic 'payback' for the 'sins' of America's past..(America, of course, being the ONLY society on earth that's ever 'sinned'). Sort of a 'What GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND' approach.

(6) Finally, many people in this country profit in various ways from the presence of illegals. They like their cheap wages, their willingness to take abuse, and their fear of drawing attention to themselves in the workplace. If every illegal was 'amnestized' tomorrow, THESE people would simply go out and seek NEW illegals, since their businesses rely on 'lowball' workers, not legal ones.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The oath comes to mind: To defend this country against all enamies foreign and domestic....
We have the finest military on the face of the planet. Use this Military to secure our borders ... The cost? The soldiers are already being paid. No cost for that manpower. Equipment? Our soldiers are already equiped. No cost.
The wall? Already started now lets finish it.
My brother and grand father served, as well as uncles and cousins. Hell, I'm even contemplating joining the Navy during grad school.

Why should we use our military for this? It would be a waste of taxpayer money. When will we learn that fighting a war against an idea leads to nowhere (war on terror, war on drugs, war against communism, war on illegal immigration).

So you propose we pull troops from Afghanistan, Iraq, and N. Korea to sit on the border? One of the main reasons we are pulling out of Iraq is due to the high cost. Thus, we can shrink the army a bit. We will have to pay said people now, more equipment, and frankly more taxpayer money towards this.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; I do not know of a single First World nation that has 'birthright citizenship' for anybody born to an illegal alien, it is high time for the USA to fall in line.

Face it: even in Europe; the attitudes against illegals are hardening-------fast.
Ok...your point?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Ok...your point?
The US has one of the loosest immigration policies in the developed world, but from what people here would have you think, we are bitterly anti-immigrant. I'd like to move to Switzerland..high standard of living, great culture..guess what? I can't. It's almost impossible to emigrate there.

Yet people in the US talks about stopping ILLEGAL immigration, not even mentioning cutting back on LEGAL immigration, and we are a nation of hate mongers.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM

537 posts, read 292,010 times
I might be one of the few exceptions. I'm hispanic and I oppose illegal immigraton.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The US has one of the loosest immigration policies in the developed world, but from what people here would have you think, we are bitterly anti-immigrant. I'd like to move to Switzerland..high standard of living, great culture..guess what? I can't. It's almost impossible to emigrate there.

Yet people in the US talks about stopping ILLEGAL immigration, not even mentioning cutting back on LEGAL immigration, and we are a nation of hate mongers.
What's wrong with supporting something legal yet opposing something illegal? How is it hateful to oppose illegal immigration but not legal immigration?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM

537 posts, read 292,010 times
I oppose illegal immigration and support legal immigration. I can't see why this would be considered hateful.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
My brother and grand father served, as well as uncles and cousins. Hell, I'm even contemplating joining the Navy during grad school.

Why should we use our military for this? It would be a waste of taxpayer money. When will we learn that fighting a war against an idea leads to nowhere (war on terror, war on drugs, war against communism, war on illegal immigration).

So you propose we pull troops from Afghanistan, Iraq, and N. Korea to sit on the border? One of the main reasons we are pulling out of Iraq is due to the high cost. Thus, we can shrink the army a bit. We will have to pay said people now, more equipment, and frankly more taxpayer money towards this.
Who said anything about fighting? We use our Marines and Army to guard the border between North and South Korea why not use them on our own border?
What additional cost? Infact it would save money. No Isolation duty pay, no hazardous duty pay, the logistics to support guarding our own border would be next to free compared to the cost of moving men and materials 6000 miles. Seal the border and that will stop the majority of illegals from entering.
Pass laws that hammer employers and enablers and that will force self deportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration