U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times

Advertisements

I don't exactly trust the rasmussen poll when it comes to their polling on social issues etc, but even the majority of people they polled support some path to citizenship for those here illegally. Rasmussen poll is beloved and constantly quoted by the anti-immigrant and right wing crowd.

Quote:
The new polling shows that just 26% consider creating a pathway to citizenship Very Important and another 26% consider it Somewhat Important. However, 43% think itís at least Somewhat Likely Congress will provide such a pathway over the next year. That figure includes 11% who consider such legislation Very Likely.
Most Voters Say Immigration Reform Not Likely to Pass - Rasmussen Reportsô

So, are the 52 percent who support some form of a path to citizenship crazy or what? Posters on here would lead one to believe that the majority of American voters are opposed to any form of a path to citizenship. How do you "antis" explain this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
There you go again with the anti-immigrant BS. How many times and how many ways must we proclaim that we are NOT anti-immigrant -- we are anti-illegal alien? There's a HUGE difference, and you know it. You lack credibility when you deliberately and incessantly misrepresent the facts.

This poll, and others, represents a small sampling of the citizens of this country. Iím a U.S. citizen and a registered voter, and I was not polled, nor was anyone I know. Therefore, it does NOT accurately convey the sentiment of the ďmajorityĒ of U.S. voters. Too bad they donít indicate how many of the respondents profit from cheap illegal labor; have family and/or friends who are illegal; or are themselves illegal. Let them attempt another amnesty, and we will see how many citizens actually oppose.

Furthermore, it states that ďjustĒ 26% consider a path to citizenship Very Important. Moreover, to state that something is Somewhat Important (26%), isnít exactly a strong leaning. Do the remaining 48% strongly oppose, moderately oppose, or what?

Also, many sheeple support a path to citizenship because they actually believe if amnesty is granted our government will honor its promise to secure our borders. They arenít interested in legalizing illegal aliens; they want national security, and they have been fed a lie that we canít secure our borders unless we grant amnesty to the 20+ million illegal aliens who are already here.

Quote:
Voter preferences are clear, however. By a 70% to 22% margin, voters say that gaining control of the borders is more important than legalizing the status of undocumented workers already in the country.
Poll results of 65% vs. 35% would be considered overwhelming support. However, poll results of 52% vs. 48% +/- is essentially even. In any case, there is no overwhelming support for a path to citizenship by any estimation, is there?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There you go again with the anti-immigrant BS. How many times and how many ways must we proclaim that we are NOT anti-immigrant -- we are anti-illegal alien? There's a HUGE difference, and you know it. You lack credibility when you deliberately and incessantly misrepresent the facts.
Isn't it sad that some people are simply incapable of distinguishing the difference between legal & illegal immigration?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:

This poll, and others, represents a small sampling of the citizens of this country. Iím a U.S. citizen and a registered voter, and I was not polled, nor was anyone I know. Therefore, it does NOT accurately convey the sentiment of the ďmajorityĒ of U.S. voters. Too bad they donít indicate how many of the respondents profit from cheap illegal labor; have family and/or friends who are illegal; or are themselves illegal. Let them attempt another amnesty, and we will see how many citizens actually oppose.

Furthermore, it states that ďjustĒ 26% consider a path to citizenship Very Important. Moreover, to state that something is Somewhat Important (26%), isnít exactly a strong leaning. Do the remaining 48% strongly oppose, moderately oppose, or what?

Also, many sheeple support a path to citizenship because they actually believe if amnesty is granted our government will honor its promise to secure our borders.

Poll results of 65% vs. 35% would be considered overwhelming support. However, poll results of 52% vs. 48% +/- is essentially even. In any case, there is no overwhelming support for a path to citizenship by any estimation, is there?

Just because they have a different point of view than you makes them sheeple? Anyone who follows politics knows that Rasmussen is hardly a "pro-illegal" or liberal polling firm and they always have a conservative tilt to their polling results.
According to your logic, any bill that passes the congress does so because the majority of citizens support it right?

Quote:
They arenít interested in legalizing illegal aliens; they want national security, and they have been fed a lie that we canít secure our borders unless we grant amnesty to the 20+ million illegal aliens who are already here.
You know this how? Did you talk to the voters who took the poll or something?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Just because they have a different point of view than you makes them sheeple? Anyone who follows politics knows that Rasmussen is hardly a "pro-illegal" or liberal polling firm and they always have a conservative tilt to their polling results.
According to your logic, any bill that passes the congress does so because the majority of citizens support it right?

She knows because they didnt talk to her is what she said.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No, they are sheeple if they actually believe we canít secure our borders unless we grant amnesty to 20+ million illegals; not because they support amnesty. Anyone with one brain cell should realize amnestying foreign lawbreakers is not a prerequisite for border security.

I never implied that Rasmussen is pro-illegal or liberal. Polls are polls; and I donít give much credence to any of them.

I simply mentioned, if you want to know if there is overwhelming support for amnesty, see what happens if they attempt to pass CIR. How you interpreted that to mean I believe only bills supported by the majority of constituents are passed in Congress, is beyond me. I would have to be naive or stupid; and I assure you, I am neither.

The bottom line: Your attempt to convince us that amnesty has overwhelming support failed. Your poll results do not support your assertion.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
She knows because they didnt talk to her is what she said.
No, thatís just ONE reason.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
No, they are sheeple if they actually believe we canít secure our borders unless we grant amnesty to 20+ million illegals; not because they support amnesty. Anyone with one brain cell should realize amnestying foreign lawbreakers is not a prerequisite for border security.

I never implied that Rasmussen is pro-illegal or liberal. Polls are polls; and I donít give much credence to any of them.

I simply mentioned, if you want to know if there is overwhelming support for amnesty, see what happens if they attempt to pass CIR. How you interpreted that to mean I believe only bills supported by the majority of constituents are passed in Congress, is beyond me. I would have to be naive or stupid; and I assure you, I am neither.

The bottom line: Your attempt to convince us that amnesty has overwhelming support failed. Your poll results do not support your assertion.

No, thatís just ONE reason.
That wasn't my attempt in the first place, go back and read my first post again. 52% might not be an overwhelming majority but it is still a MAJORITY, i was just pointing out the fact that the majority of voters polled in poll after poll support a path to citizenship. You and other posters on your side of the issue always claim that the majority of americans are overwhelmingly against any form of legalization, yet these scientific polls don't support such claims.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That wasn't my attempt in the first place, go back and read my first post again. 52% might not be an overwhelming majority but it is still a MAJORITY, i was just pointing out the fact that the majority of voters polled in poll after poll support a path to citizenship. You and other posters on your side of the issue always claim that the majority of americans are overwhelmingly against any form of legalization, yet these scientific polls don't support such claims.
There is always a +/- factor to consider. If anything, itís even. Of course, there is no way to determine how many illegals or their exploiters were polled. In any case, we will know when they attempt to pass amnesty, wonít we?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<The new polling shows that just 26% consider creating a pathway to citizenship Very Important and another 26% consider it Somewhat Important.>>

I'm deadset against illegal immigration. I think all illegal aliens should be deported, and no amnesty, or pathway to citizenship granted. However, I might be counted among the 26% who consider a pathway very important, because I consider the ISSUE of a pathway to citizenship very important, but that does not mean I'm in favor of it. It simply means I find the issue very important. That may be what happened with this poll, or it may depend on the actual wording of the question. I don't see that they asked if a person was in favor of it, or not.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<The new polling shows that just 26% consider creating a pathway to citizenship Very Important and another 26% consider it Somewhat Important.>>

I'm deadset against illegal immigration. I think all illegal aliens should be deported, and no amnesty, or pathway to citizenship granted. However, I might be counted among the 26% who consider a pathway very important, because I consider the ISSUE of a pathway to citizenship very important, but that does not mean I'm in favor of it. It simply means I find the issue very important. That may be what happened with this poll, or it may depend on the actual wording of the question. I don't see that they asked if a person was in favor of it, or not.
EXCELLENT interpretation. I hadnít even thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration