U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Are these illegal advocates crazy? In other words, since Obama has put CIR on the back burner, our laws shouldn't be enforced in the interim.

Quote:
With President Obama putting off the immigration reform debate until next year, immigrant rights groups are pushing the administration to suspend tough enforcement practices so illegal immigrants aren't punished under the current system.

With immigration reform slipping away, rights groups have begun to use words such as "betrayal" in describing how they feel they are faring under the Obama administration, and several have said the only interim solution would be to suspend some enforcement so illegal immigrants don't get caught up in a system that advocates contend is broken.
Fresh fight looms over immigration - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are these illegal advocates crazy? In other words, since Obama has put CIR on the back burner, our laws shouldn't be enforced in the interim.



Fresh fight looms over immigration - Washington Times
Reading between the lines---------the illegals and friends are grasping at straws as the 'good ship Amnesty' slowly sinks since hitting the iceberg of public opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Reading between the lines---------the illegals and friends are grasping at straws as the 'good ship Amnesty' slowly sinks since hitting the iceberg of public opinion.
More of a "Death Star Shamnesty" but I do like the analogy Bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Reputation: 690
I guess another option would be to push for economic reform in Latin America, have smaller families, and invest in education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I guess another option would be to push for economic reform in Latin America, have smaller families, and invest in education.
The birthrate SoB down to Argentina is barely above 2 children per woman. The education problem is being addressed; most Hispanics (of any race/ethnicity) are now literate-------which leave social reform in especially Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Gee, if I get a speeding ticket can I not pay the fine because there is a rumor that the speed limit "might" be upped sometime in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I guess another option would be to push for economic reform in Latin America, have smaller families, and invest in education.
There's a thought. People need to understand that contrary to what the illegals say, Mexico is not the poorest nation in the world, and it does have a growing middle class.

Reaching middle class status requires pretty much the same kind of personal responsibility and ambition as here: keep kids in school, finish an education, obtain a job and some job skills, and marriage before starting a family. Limit family size to what you can afford. People in Mexico who do that will tend to be middle class but far too many start having babies they can never afford and have them one right after the other. Rich and middle class Mexicans don't tend to have 12 kids and didn't start having babies at a very young age.

The goal should be to improve other nations, not try to bring all the impoverished people of other nations here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There's a thought. People need to understand that contrary to what the illegals say, Mexico is not the poorest nation in the world, and it does have a growing middle class.

Reaching middle class status requires pretty much the same kind of personal responsibility and ambition as here: keep kids in school, finish an education, obtain a job and some job skills, and marriage before starting a family. Limit family size to what you can afford. People in Mexico who do that will tend to be middle class but far too many start having babies they can never afford and have them one right after the other. Rich and middle class Mexicans don't tend to have 12 kids and didn't start having babies at a very young age.

The goal should be to improve other nations, not try to bring all the impoverished people of other nations here.
As you stated.

Mexico's per capita income is above $14K a year----------some places here in the USA it is less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17689
Your Emperor has stated, "No Amnesty for you!" at least until next year. That would include the dreamies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Your Emperor has stated, "No Amnesty for you!" at least until next year. That would include the dreamies.
I have noticed that as well: and as time goes on; the odds are growing against any sort of mass amnesty. Us Americans as a group are pissed---------to be polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top