Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Just got through watching a documentary film on the children from Honduras and Guatamala passing through Mexico on there way to the border.

Several...ages 10-15 were followed in the progress northward.

They all had this idea (dream) of getting to a family relative and getting some job making money to help a mother or siblings in some cases. Too many different stories.

They always had their hand out for free food from those having some alongside the railroad tracks. I never once heard anything said about working for there meals.

Several shelters had some food and a place to rest or sleep near the railroad.

Mexican "Groupo Beta" was there to help with small medical needs and advice on what to look for and what to be aware of.

They were told of the train dangers and shown a front page photo of a body that was cut up real bad by the train wheel. Even with this they laughed and said God would be watching over them.

One 20 something women had both leges cut off above the knee and did not want her three small children and mother back home to know of her accident.

Am not going to thrash thru the whole movie...only gave a few highlights.

Two boys...cousins never made it to their destination. They died in the Ariz desert.

One thing I did notice. NEVER once did anyone ever tell those kids that in the US children are NOT allowed to work.

I would think that the countries of origin and Mexico should have signs stating these facts.

The Consuls of Honduras and Guadamala were there to support the children and return them to the parents.

A sad insight to the state of mind that some children have and the end results.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
And what was the name of the movie?

Many children do cross the border when they are in their teens. People do tell them of the dangers and tell them to not cross the border. What might be suprising to you is that though the US has CHILD LABOR LAWS, many of those children are still exploited for cheap labor.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Just got through watching a documentary film on the children from Honduras and Guatamala passing through Mexico on there way to the border.

They all had this idea (dream) of getting to a family relative and getting some job making money to help a mother or siblings in some cases. Too many different stories.

They always had their hand out for free food from those having some alongside the railroad tracks. I never once heard anything said about working for there meals.

Mexican "Groupo Beta" was there to help with small medical needs and advice on what to look for and what to be aware of.

They were told of the train dangers and shown a front page photo of a body that was cut up real bad by the train wheel. Even with this they laughed and said God would be watching over them.

One 20 something women had both leges cut off above the knee and did not want her three small children and mother back home to know of her accident.

Two boys...cousins never made it to their destination. They died in the Ariz desert.

One thing I did notice. NEVER once did anyone ever tell those kids that in the US children are NOT allowed to work.

I would think that the countries of origin and Mexico should have signs stating these facts.

The Consuls of Honduras and Guadamala were there to support the children and return them to the parents.

Steve
WHY dont the people in those Latin American countries use birth control??????????????????

Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
WHY dont the people in those Latin American countries use birth control??????????????????
Good question. It seems cruel to have children the parent(s) have no way of feeding or supporting and what kind of parents would allow young teens to make such a dangerous journey?

A better way would be for these people to realize the value of an education and attaining job skills, delay the start of a family until they've got both plus a job to support a family and limit family size to the number of children they can afford.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Probably because that socioeconomic cohort of illegal aliens are equivalent to our PW Trash hillbillies-----------Middle Class Mexicans, etc. typically do not try to hop the border unless fearing persecution. And the latter oftentimes will head straight to the first US police officer, etc. and turn themselves in for protective custody.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
its sad, but is this news?

been common knowledge for some time. (makes many people look bad, thus it is swept under the rug)

but those coming know the risks.

they know what they are doing. maybe the kids under 12 years old are a bit more impressionable, but in many latin american countries, 13 and up is considered independent. and a lot of these kids are street kids. they know how to survive. if they make it they make it. sometimes they dont.

i will say it again, LET THIS SERVE AS A DETERRANT.

something should be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Steve

Last edited by the one; 08-27-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

is that how simple you think? this issue is?
Quote:

Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
their countries are corrupt & they're slaves to a culture/religious overview of no contraception....
i can't tell you how busy the money wiring places are in LA.

i say take the border away & let's all be one big family.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
their countries are corrupt & they're slaves to a culture/religious overview of no contraception....
i can't tell you how busy the money wiring places are in LA.

i say take the border away & let's all be one big family.
Under one condition: that US law applies only------------and, that also mandates the use of the English language as well--------read that Spanish is no longer recognized.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
As tragic as this story is there is but 1 bottom line.
Its not our problem...
We have countless Children who are US citizens who need help and our concern.
As some have posted in many of the countries mentioned 13 is the age of consent. In other words adult.
I don't mean to be hard hearted but I put Americans before these foreigners and we can not afford the additional burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration