Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Northern VA for over 15 years now and feel like everyone like me (White/Black) has moved out. I feel like I am in a THIRD WORLD NATION. I go into Malls and other Public Places and I rarely hear English anymore. Most people inside the Beltway are non white.

I try to picture where people are from and I am confused because they just look Foreign and speak a Language that I do not understand. I go to a grocery store and the clerk does not know much English. In the places that cut hair most people are Asian. Most service and retail staff are from somewhere else. It is all very interesting but I wonder what happened to the White people who use to live here.

Is it racist to feel out of touch when nearly everyone around you is from a foreign country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have lived in Northern VA for over 15 years now and feel like everyone like me (White/Black) has moved out. I feel like I am in a THIRD WORLD NATION. I go into Malls and other Public Places and I rarely hear English anymore. Most people inside the Beltway are non white.

I try to picture where people are from and I am confused because they just look Foreign and speak a Language that I do not understand. I go to a grocery store and the clerk does not know much English. In the places that cut hair most people are Asian. Most service and retail staff are from somewhere else. It is all very interesting but I wonder what happened to the White people who use to live here.

Is it racist to feel out of touch when nearly everyone around you is from a foreign country?
i have some of the same feelings. i grew up in a very undiverse area in SE VA. it was a shock to see what all there is up here. i dont think its racist to feel what you is feeling. but eventually u get used to it.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:22 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,675 times
Except your use of "third world nation" is totally innappropriate for what you are describing. There are plenty of foreign languages spoken in very economically diverse countries too. Who cares who lives where as long as they are willing to be part of the melting pot. We do not have to accomodate everyone else's need for interpretation, but there was a time when someone came to America, they learned english because that's what you had to do. We bend over too far backwards for foreigners and expect less from them, so they do less and demand more.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:43 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Except your use of "third world nation" is totally innappropriate for what you are describing. There are plenty of foreign languages spoken in very economically diverse countries too.
Exactly. Apparently any place with Asian, Latino, Indian or Middle Eastern people is a third world nation worthy of degradation. Tell Japan that. Or Singapore. Or Hong Kong. Or Qatar. Or Argentina. Or a plethora of other nations where whites and blacks are simply not present whose living standards are equal or greater than that of the United States. Or try equating the scene at Springfield Mall to an inhabitant of an actual Third World nation living in a lawless land of chaos, violence and poverty like Somalia. I'm sick of people looking at the world through 1950s propagandic Americana goggles thinking that the world norm is white (and occasionally including black in that mix) and that "white is right" and anything diverting from that is automatically foreign and weird and has no business in "their" country. It speaks more to their own prejudices and ignorance of the world around them than it does anything else.

It is not necessarily racist to feel out of place in an area where you do not speak the majority language (whether that be English, Spanish, Korean, etc.) or where the majority of people are of a different skin tone than you. However, considering the OP's history of posts on this board (do a search), I feel fairly comfortable labeling their views in particular as expressed in this thread and others as indicative of deep-seeded (well, perhaps not even that deep) racist beliefs, and continue to be suspicious about their activities and intentions on this board given many inconsistencies that have popped up.

As usual, an incredibly judgmental and ignorant post designed solely to create controversy....

Last edited by dullnboring; 04-29-2007 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
However, considering the OP's history of posts on this board (do a search), I feel fairly comfortable labeling their views in particular as expressed in this thread and others as indicative of deep-seeded (well, perhaps not even that deep) racist beliefs, and continue to be suspicious about their activities and intentions on this board given many inconsistencies that have popped up. As usual, an incredibly judgmental and ignorant post designed solely to create controversy....
I'd agree entirely with that analysis.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:36 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Better to be in a third world nation with non-English speaking folk than a first world nation with ignorant, silly fools with unopened minds, I suppose :P Just glad the rest of NoVA isn't like such.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
I was just laughing at the original post thinking "They have malls in third world nations???" ....

Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
As usual, an incredibly judgmental and ignorant post designed solely to create controversy....
EXACTLY!

maybe Dingler should go visit my brother in Phnom Penh Cambodia and see what a 3rd world country really is.

BTW ALOT of those non-white, non-english speaking residents have PhD's and masters degrees from thier country of origin.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,450 times
I completely understand what you mean. I am not white, but rather a mixed blood myself and yes, I do speak other languages, but when I am in America, I do speak English and do expect others to do the same. I'm from southern California, for me, the Mexicans seem a little racist mainly because,
1. they don't tend to hire others who don't speak their language
2. many of them hold jobs that don't even live there...(they live in Mexico) I would say many of which are illegal
3. Customer service don't speak good or enough english and find that sometimes they refuse to help because they don't want to deal with the language barrier.
4. Many of them don't care in general about the country, but only what they can get
5. I find myself moving north or east to aviod their locations.
6. I feel that they are holding our edu system, cause there are many of them who graduate without even knowing how to speak english! and those who do a small percent do go to college and those who do normally end up getting a major in spanish or mexican culture.
7. many of times I have noticed that they are rude to other races except for their own.
8. "RUDE"-- when I go shopping there always seem to be one of them pushing me out of the way with their cart or cutting to get a parking and throwing their trash on the roads. I know the government pays someone to clean it up, but for me I think it is a part every one's responsibility to do our par.. big or little

Now I'm not saying that they are all bad, just the ones, that come here for a better life, but only seem to want hand outs or demand them just because there seem to be more of them over us who have their citizenship. Why isn't the government doing anything about it. Can't they tell where it's going? Yes, doing something to stop all of this be a catasrophe for all sides for the moment and even for years, but if the government don't act now, there won't be the US that we once knew it.

Last edited by cnak; 05-08-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,751 times
It is getting that way, but its not just Virginia. It seems all over. I have Nothing against foreigners. As long as they can speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration