U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With fewer jobs for Americans these days, are there fewer jobs that Americans won't do? The answer will influence whether Congress decides to grant amnesty to some 11 million illegal immigrants in the US, perhaps by next year.

Most illegal workers in the US are Mexicans who mow lawns, clean motel sheets, butcher hogs, pick strawberries, and otherwise toil away at tasks that, as George W. Bush once said, "Americans won't do." And they often are paid less than the minimum wage.

A widely held assumption in Washington's debate about immigration is that native-born Americans avoid menial and dirty work. Laid-off autoworkers wouldn't really wash dishes at a Denny's or milk cows on a dairy farm, would they? Such a notion has long helped justify a flow of foreign workers into the US – or possibly an amnesty for those hiding from the law.

With people desperate for income, downward mobility may be on the way up. News reports show long lines of applicants for a janitor's job or for work at a factory after a federal raid clears out the illegal workers.
'Jobs that Americans won't do' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090901/cm_csm/ejobs - broken link)

Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
A shamnesty would mean that many more new "Americans" jockeying for those jobs. That is a very, very bad idea.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,737,809 times
It the differences that apply. American citizens have taxes withheld, and other cultural aspects that cause costs to be higher (e.g., live as nuclear families, or alone, etc.) Level the playing field and I bet this would not be occurring.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM

9,857 posts, read 5,775,051 times
I think some Americans would gladly trade their stressful jobs for something in the line of washing dishes at Denny's or picking up trash at the malls, etc as may many employees that have been laid off. That's true, if taxes weren't taken out, it would sweeten the pot even more so.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,829,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
It the differences that apply. American citizens have taxes withheld, and other cultural aspects that cause costs to be higher (e.g., live as nuclear families, or alone, etc.) Level the playing field and I bet this would not be occurring.
Agree but how? I don't want all my relatives coming to live with me. And I like my house, so moving my family into a relative's townhouse basement and parking on the lawn doesn't seem like a good idea either. How about we stop teaching in our school the nonsense that multiculturalism is great and that other cultures are just as valid as ours within the confines of the US borders?

I've called the police and county zoning folks many times about overcrowding in our neighborhood.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
From I have read over the past couple of years in this economic slump, Americans are more willing to be homeless or live in a RV, than do the menial work that illegals do.

Here is a recent thread: OC career executive is now homeless...

In San Francisco, the homeless Americans have flooded the place, speaking fine English when asking for change. Yet you drive out 40 miles to the farming zone, nothing but Mexicans working in the fields. Nothing but Mexicans working in restaurants, nothing but Mexicans working the same menial jobs. And guess what? I still don't see any homeless Mexicans.

Nothing has changed from I can see and as long as those unemployment checks keep coming in, why would it? Jobless Americans are making more money on unemployment than they would flipping burgers. Cut the life support and maybe we will see change.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
From I have read over the past couple of years in this economic slump, Americans are more willing to be homeless or live in a RV, than do the menial work that illegals do.

In San Francisco, the homeless Americans have flooded the place, speaking fine English when asking for change. Yet you drive out 40 miles to the farming zone, nothing but Mexicans working in the fields. Nothing but Mexicans working in restaurants, nothing but Mexicans working the same menial jobs. And guess what? I still don't see any homeless Mexicans.

Nothing has changed from I can see and as long as those unemployment checks keep coming in, why would it? Jobless Americans are making more money on unemployment than they would flipping burgers. Cut the life support and maybe we will see change.
Well; here in Arizona the mostly Latino illegal aliens are disappearing as we speak since life has become quite miserable for those criminals as we speak

Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
'Jobs that Americans won't do' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090901/cm_csm/ejobs - broken link)
Where I live, on the border, we have very few illegals, except those going on through. Probably because Border Patrol is the 2nd largest employer in the county. If you go to the car wash it is staffed entirely by local teenagers, they do a lousy job and take waay to long to do it, but it feels good anyway.
Just like not shopping at Slave Mart, I'll go out of my way to get a lousy car wash for the good of the country

Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

"In San Francisco Homeless Americans have flooded the place"

Where? If anything the number of homeless in San Francissco has declined

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM

45 posts, read 47,500 times
With the current economy, it seems like there's a lot of jobs that Americans wouldn't do. Times have changed, and I don't think it's for the better. I take no pleasure in the fact that many Americans are in a desperate situation as to have to take lower jobs than they were before. Regardless of how that affects illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or