Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 AM

244 posts, read 540,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
They all just loiter there all day and not one cop can walk up and ask for a license or some form of ID?
and if they dont have it they get a free car ride?
I thought our country was founded on the idea (among others) that you could walk around and be FREE and not have to provide ID (or "papers") for no reason?

Not that I accept the illegals situation in any way, shape or form. I do not.

But how would you feel if the cops did that to YOU every time you hung out in the park?

Funny thing is, those people in question might not even be here "illegally".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM

371 posts, read 937,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Anyone know anywhere on LI that sells pepper spray? Mace is illegal but pepper spray is not, I dont think. I really think I need to start carrying something to defend myself. And in NY pepper spray cannot be sold online, so it has to be a store.

Almost any gun store will stock pepper spray...You have to fill out a silly form but you can get it...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM

50 posts, read 173,875 times
Michigan is the same way, I guess I don't so much notice it when I'm on Long Island. While NYC/LI is the immigrant capital of the country, or was. Mexicans would be the nationality I'd expect on LI. Weird.

But I agree with what you're doing with this vid completely. It angers me so much it's unreal.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
John, you need to learn to embrace their culture, sorry just kidding.

I grew up on Long Island and left in the mid 80s to go to Southern CA. I saw areas there get overrun over the years with illegals.

At first it was odd for me coming from Long Island to see these sights in CA. Men standing around on corners looking for work and all the CA residents using illegals for lawn cutting, pool cleaning, house cleaning etc.

Selling oranges on the side of the freeways. Didn't think too much of it but over the years it seemed to increase and spread further and further out.

We now live down south and went up to Long Island and was shocked to see Mexicans in Massapequa!!!!

Talked to several old schoolmates who live all over the island and it is gotten really bad.

You should be applauded for doing what you're doing.

Believe me I saw it first hand get out of control in CA. Many years ago the people of CA wanted an ENGLISH ONLY law passed. But the powers that be crushed it. Now there are parts of even suburban Los Angeles that all the store signs in spanish,and parts of LA where english is hardly spoken.

I would say Long Island is where Southern CA was maybe 15 yrs ago.

If it isn't addressed you will get overrun or run out of your hometown.
They are practically all over Long Island, I have even seen day laborers as far east as East Hampton and Montauk. Actually the area around the East Hampton railroad is full of them hanging out looking for work.
The parallels between LI and LA are amazing. I notice alot of the young women and girls around here now talk like LA "Valley Girls". It's also overdeveloped and very polluted as well.
It really makes me sad how Long Island is being destroyed. I'm trying to make people realize what is going on, so they can put a stop to it, before it's too late. It however may already be too late. I've lived here all my life and to think I am being driven off the island because of this.
People moved to LI for peace, safety, and open space. But all of those things are being taken away. I just wonder how much I'll be able to take, before I throw in the towel like so many others have. I want to stand up and fight, but at the same time, I dont want to spend my whole life in misery here either. Everybody talks about our economy and home values, well, this rests on how nice of a place LI is. As it gets more crowded and more towns fill up with illegals, there will be less and less nice towns to live, and it will be hard to afford a place there anyway. The future of LI is gated communities and servant barrios, and the only safe places will be behind a gate where only millionaires can live.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,579,842 times
Bravo John....I may never meet you but I owe you an ice cold beer of your choice.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
John, you know how mad it makes you that illegal immigrants exist? That's how mad it makes me that I have to pay taxes so you can buy video cameras, not work and go galavanting around town all day.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
They are practically all over Long Island, I have even seen day laborers as far east as East Hampton and Montauk. Actually the area around the East Hampton railroad is full of them hanging out looking for work.
The parallels between LI and LA are amazing. I notice alot of the young women and girls around here now talk like LA "Valley Girls". It's also overdeveloped and very polluted as well.
It really makes me sad how Long Island is being destroyed. I'm trying to make people realize what is going on, so they can put a stop to it, before it's too late. It however may already be too late. I've lived here all my life and to think I am being driven off the island because of this.
People moved to LI for peace, safety, and open space. But all of those things are being taken away. I just wonder how much I'll be able to take, before I throw in the towel like so many others have. I want to stand up and fight, but at the same time, I dont want to spend my whole life in misery here either. Everybody talks about our economy and home values, well, this rests on how nice of a place LI is. As it gets more crowded and more towns fill up with illegals, there will be less and less nice towns to live, and it will be hard to afford a place there anyway. The future of LI is gated communities and servant barrios, and the only safe places will be behind a gate where only millionaires can live.

Funny you should mention "Valley Girls" because they no longer exist for the most part in the San Fernando Valley. Which is where I lived in the late 80's and early 90's.

At that time it was made up on whites and latinos, but they were American born latinos. There in lies the differenence.

Van Nuys, CA was an area that was middle class and the teens would cruise Van Nuys Blvd on Saturday nights.

Now it is all latino but not American born citzens, it looks like a third world country. Most of the signs in spanish, walk in clinics have replaced retail stores.

For you people who are giving this guy a hard time I can tell what happened in many parts of LA started out the same way you are seeing on Long Island now.

Day laborers standing on the corners, bothering the women, the businesses start to change.

And let me tell you before you start the racist comments I know many, many latino people in CA who are third and fourth generation Californians and they don't like it either.

I am telling you what you are experiencing on LI was CA 15 or 20 yrs ago.

I saw it get out of control. There are now parts of the San Fernando Valley where you would think you were in Mexico, everything is in spanish.

The nicer parts of the valley that remain are the gated community areas, so you have the barrios and the very wealthy,but the middle class was driven out.

Is that what you want on Long Island? I think this guy John is making an effort, so brand him a racist, because plenty of American born latinos in CA and other western states feel just as strongly.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I thought our country was founded on the idea (among others) that you could walk around and be FREE and not have to provide ID (or "papers") for no reason?

Not that I accept the illegals situation in any way, shape or form. I do not.

But how would you feel if the cops did that to YOU every time you hung out in the park?

Funny thing is, those people in question might not even be here "illegally".
If your a beat cop in westbury and you see the same bunch of guys (10-15 of them) hanging out on a street corner every day. Then you may get the feeling that something is wrong. I remember when I was a kid we all used to hang out behind the southdown supermarket in Huntington. The cops had no problem asking us who we were and telling us to leave.
Then we would move to milldam.
Why cant they ask these people?
Politically incorrect to ask them?
if we ask them we're racists, right?
And if they're not illegal then they have nothing to worry about do they?
Groups of grown men dont usually hang out on street corners.
its a little unusual in the first place.
This political correct nonsense has gotten very out of hand.

Last edited by minesbroken; 09-10-2009 at 05:57 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM

192 posts, read 219,806 times
What do liberals have against people coming here the legal way? I have no problem if people do things the legal route. Why do liberals hate that so much?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 AM

192 posts, read 219,806 times
It's called "the White Flight".

White flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see it so much as a thing white people do, but a thing anyone who doesn't want to live in the ghetto does. These illegals bring crime, disease, and filth to the neighbourhoods they inhabit. So anyone with a decent income, black, white, or otherwise, flees the area for higher grounds. In my neighbourhood we have taken proactive steps to get these criminals out of here.
We had 1, just one, family of people that were obviously illegals. There were about 20 of them living in 1 house in a very nice neighbourhood. They were noisy, always playing loud music late at night, so I would call the police on them. In my community it is against the home owners association agreement for people to have "apartments". We got those people kicked out and we haven't had any since. My neighbourhood is very diverse, but all of the people, immigrants or otherwise, are legally here and they are educated, hard working people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration