Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times

Advertisements

The dark side of diversity

Since the massacre of 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech, the mainstream media have obsessed over the fact the crazed gunman was able to buy a Glock in the state of Virginia.

Little attention has been paid to the Richmond legislators who voted to make "Hokie Nation," a Middle American campus of 26,000 kids, a gun-free zone where only the madman had a semi-automatic.

Almost no attention has been paid to the fact that Cho Seung-Hui was not an American at all, but an immigrant, an alien. Had this deranged young man who secretly hated us never come here, 32 people would be heading home from Blacksburg for summer vacation.

What was Cho doing here? How did he get in?

Cho was among the 864,000 Koreans here as a result of the Immigration Act of 1965, which threw the nation's doors open to the greatest invasion in history, an invasion opposed by a majority of our people. Thirty-six million, almost all from countries whose peoples have never fully assimilated in any Western country, now live in our midst.

Cho was one of them.

In stories about him, we learn he had no friends, rarely spoke and was a loner, isolated from classmates and roommates. Cho was the alien in Hokie Nation. And to vent his rage at those with whom he could not communicate, he decided to kill in cold blood dozens of us.

What happened in Blacksburg cannot be divorced from what's been happening to America since the immigration act brought tens of millions of strangers to these shores, even as the old bonds of national community began to disintegrate and dissolve in the social revolutions of the 1960s.
To intellectuals, what makes America a nation is ideas – ideas in the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, Gettysburg Address and Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

But documents no matter how eloquent and words no matter how lovely do not a nation make. Before 1970, we were a people, a community, a country. Students would have said aloud of Cho: "Who is this guy? What's the matter with him?"

Teachers would have taken action to get him help – or get him out.
Since the 1960s, we have become alienated from one another even as millions of strangers arrive every year. And as Americans no longer share the old ties of history, heritage, faith, language, tradition, culture, music, myth or morality, how can immigrants share those ties?

Many immigrants do not assimilate. Many do not wish to. They seek community in their separate subdivisions of our multicultural, multiracial, multiethnic, multilingual mammoth mall of a nation. And in numbers higher than our native born, some are going berserk here.

The 1993 bombers of the World Trade Center and the killers of 9-11 were all immigrants or illegals. Colin Ferguson, the Jamaican who massacred six and wounded 19 in an anti-white shooting spree on the Long Island Railroad, was an illegal. John Lee Malvo, the Beltway Sniper, was flotsam from the Caribbean.

Angel Resendez, the border-jumping rapist who killed at least nine women, was an illegal alien. Julio Gonzalez, who burned down the Happy Land social club in New York, killing 87, arrived in the Mariel boatlift.

Ali Hassan Abu Kama, who wounded seven, killing one, in a rampage on the observation deck of the Empire State Building, was a Palestinian. As was Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert Kennedy.

The rifleman who murdered two CIA employees at the McLean, Va., headquarters was a Pakistani. When Chai Vang, a Hmong, was told by a party of Wisconsin hunters to vacate their deer stand, he shot six to death. Peter Odighizuwa, the gunman who killed the dean, a teacher and a student at the Appalachian School of Law, was a Nigerian.

Hesham Hadayet, who shot up the El Al counter at LAX, killing two and wounding four, was an Egyptian immigrant. Gamil al-Batouti, the copilot who yelled, "I put my faith in Allah's hands," as he crashed his plane into the Atlantic after departing JFK Airport, killing 217, was an Egyptian.

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, the UNC graduate who ran his SUV over nine people on Chapel Hill campus and said he was "thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah," was an Iranian.

Juan Corona, who murdered 25 people in California to be ranked with the likes of Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, was a Mexican.

Where does one find such facts? On VDARE.com, a website that covers the dark side of diversity covered up by a politically correct media, which seem to believe it is socially unhealthy for us Americans to see any correlation at all between mass migrations and mass murder.

"In our diversity is our strength!" So we are endlessly lectured. But are we really a better, safer, freer, happier, more united and caring country than we were before, against our will, we became what Theodore Roosevelt called "a polyglot boarding house for the world"?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=55463 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Yep, multiculturalism, while it's a nice idea, simply does not work. It leads to people feeling isolated.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
What gives any of you people the "right" to be here? I'm sure many Native Americans thought the same thing about "multiculturalism" when the settlers arrived - their land stolen from them and their people murdered by the "white man".

I can agree with one thing, people do tend to congregate in their own groups. That's why there's a Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, Jewish areas, and the works. So what's wrong with that? It was people like you, I'm sure, that deliberately kept me as an outcast when I was growing up, never giving me a chance to assimilate to "your culture". One can be proud of his/her culture and heritage and still be an American, assimilated into American society.

Since you're all about facts let me just correct you on "Cho Seung-Hui". His name is actually "Seung-Hui Cho". You see, Asian names have their last name precede their first name. Or maybe you already knew that and was just respecting his Korean heritage although I highly doubt that would be the case.

If there were no immigrants, you wouldn't have your fancy nail salons and there should would be a lot less dry cleaners. You should do a little research on who built the railroads here, too, way back when.

You sure did mention a lot of crimes committed by immigrants (and when I used the term immigrant I am using the word according to what you think the term immigrant means b'c in my opinion, we're all immigrants) and perhaps I am not as well versed as you but maybe someone else is. Just off the top of my head though David Koresh, Oklahoma City, Columbine, the brutal murder of James Byrd in Jasper, TX ... oh wait, you'd probably condone that. Nevermind, I guess you out-facted me.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
What gives any of you people the "right" to be here? I'm sure many Native Americans thought the same thing about "multiculturalism" when the settlers arrived - their land stolen from them and their people murdered by the "white man".

I can agree with one thing, people do tend to congregate in their own groups. That's why there's a Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, Jewish areas, and the works. So what's wrong with that? It was people like you, I'm sure, that deliberately kept me as an outcast when I was growing up, never giving me a chance to assimilate to "your culture". One can be proud of his/her culture and heritage and still be an American, assimilated into American society.

Since you're all about facts let me just correct you on "Cho Seung-Hui". His name is actually "Seung-Hui Cho". You see, Asian names have their last name precede their first name. Or maybe you already knew that and was just respecting his Korean heritage although I highly doubt that would be the case.

If there were no immigrants, you wouldn't have your fancy nail salons and there should would be a lot less dry cleaners. You should do a little research on who built the railroads here, too, way back when.

You sure did mention a lot of crimes committed by immigrants (and when I used the term immigrant I am using the word according to what you think the term immigrant means b'c in my opinion, we're all immigrants) and perhaps I am not as well versed as you but maybe someone else is. Just off the top of my head though David Koresh, Oklahoma City, Columbine, the brutal murder of James Byrd in Jasper, TX ... oh wait, you'd probably condone that. Nevermind, I guess you out-facted me.
I thought you were blessed with more intelligence than to fall back into this "white people commit as many crimes as immigrants, illegal or otherwise" crap.

There is not one word in this article which can be construed as racist against anyone, let alone legal immigrants. The article's frustration is aimed at a government that is falling down on the job when it comes to protecting its citizens. A government which has been so browbeaten by diversity, that it will not investigate those it is allowing into this country for fear of injuring someone's politically correct little feelings.

Speaking of political correctness, isn't it a bit racially biased of you to insinuate that nail salons and dry cleaners are the sole proprietorship of Asians?

I'm well aware that there were many LEGAL immigrants building the railroads back in the 1800's. I fail to see how that correlates to allowing individuals into this country with no background check in place only to find out when they've taken innocent lives, that they were "disturbed" or worse, intended harm on as many Americans as possible all along. That is the thrust of this article.

Just so you know, I am no more an immigrant than the decendents of those who crossed into this continent across the Bering Strait over 10,000 years ago. (Wait, I'm decended from them as well) My family may have immigrated LEGALLY at one time but I am not an immigrant. I am an American.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Default In response to Kele

When you refer to immigration as an invasion, I see that as a very antagonistic opinion. You say Americans no longer share the old ties of history and ask how is it that immigrants can share these ties. I can guarantee you that I know more about U.S. "history, heritage, faith, language, tradition, culture, music, myth and morality" than you do about mine because I choose to diversify my knowledge and view of the world. Your statements lead me to believe that you are not open to our melting pot society and all the statements you make regarding this "immigration invasion" means you will never concede to the fact that America is a nation of change (look at all of the amendments to the Constitution) and you yourself will never be willing to assimilate to societal changes. You're right, there are bad aspects but there are also very good ones.

The standards of assimilation are very sujbective. I read a post earlier about how Muslim women should give up wearing their hijab (the veil they use to cover their face/hair) if they want to live in America. This person wanted them to give up part of their culture/heritage/religion, something that has been a part of their life since the day they were born. That is a pure abomination of our first amendment rights. I knew a girl once who wore a hijab, listend to rock music, loved the Beatles, and spoke perfect English. You can't get more assimilated than that.

For the record, I never called you a racist nor suggested you were one. I just thought your opinions were very one-sided. You say your frustration is aimed towards the gov't but all I got was immigrants don't assimilate and you bashing a kid who moved to the States through no choice of his own. And of course, your list of non-American criminals and your insinuation that all immigrants need to go b'c they'll turn out to be lawless human beings.

What was Cho doing here? He moved to the States when he was like 10 or something, he was a CHILD. His parents made the decision to move the family to the United States because they were poor in Korea and felt that they could have a better life in the States. Cho never secretly hated "us" and I am assuming by us, you mean American citizens. Who he hated were those kids who made fun of him and teased him. He was jealous of the rich kids who grew up with a silverspoon in their mouth and probably gave him no respect. He was an outcast who never fit in. He was deranged. I am extremely empathetic toward the victims' families and in no way am I condoning what he did but Cho is no different than the murderers of Columbine. The situation had nothing to do with immigration or diversity but people like you, I believe, want to make this an immigration issue and quite frankly, I am starting to get very annoyed (not with you but the issue).

You're right, it was racially biased of me to suggest that dry cleaners and and nail salons are the "sole proprietorship of Asians". The point I was trying to make is that immigrants play an imporant role in the US economy just as you and I do. Our immigration system, although imperfect, provide a wealth or resourceful people who do want to work hard and be part of society, and assimilation should be the opinion of each individual - we are afterall a free-thinking society. Where you and I differ is that you look at being American as a separate entity from being an immigrant. You can't have one without the other, IMHO.

By the way, I'm not the one who started spitting out a laundry list of non-Americans committing crimes. You've had your rebuttal and I've had mine. I'm sure we can just agree to disagree at this point.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Sure, people hang around their own culture. But to say that the issue is that this was a minority is crazy. This is not an issue of why any longer. Why the person sold the gun, why he shot people, etc. The issue now should be that inocent people lost their life and we should all respect that.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Sure, people hang around their own culture. But to say that the issue is that this was a minority is crazy. This is not an issue of why any longer. Why the person sold the gun, why he shot people, etc. The issue now should be that inocent people lost their life and we should all respect that.
You may think the issue is only that innocent people lost their lives but if we don't look at the issues as to why they lost their lives we will never be able to try to stop it from happening again....

And did I miss in the original post where the word "minority" was used? I'll go back and reread it.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I thought you were blessed with more intelligence than to fall back into this "white people commit as many crimes as immigrants, illegal or otherwise" crap.
You can't quote from worldnetdaily and complain about someone else's intelligence.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
The name of the topic alone seems to be racist.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The name of the topic alone seems to be racist.
Yes, the title does seem racist. However, I stand by my claim that multiculturalism is destructive for society. It leaves too many people with a feeling of isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration