U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times

Advertisements

2.2% may not seem like a lot but 50,000 is a big number. Can you figure out the cost of deporting every single illegal immigrant in a single and small state such as South Carolina? I cant even imagine a state like California. It is imposible to deport every single one of them.

Quote:
Immigrants constituted 5.4% of the state’s work force in 2007, or about 118,443 workers, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. Unauthorized immigrants made up 2.2% of the state’s work force, or 50,000 people.
Many of you keep saying that those of us that are in favor of legalizing illegal immigrants, must be because we have illegal immigrant relatives but what you dont realize is that it can infact be devastating economically to many towns and cities across the nation. I was born and grew up in a sanctuary town where today, if all illegal immigrants were removed, it would weaken our economy significantly.

Look at the figures for South Carolina....$1.8 billion in spending...

Quote:
If all unauthorized immigrants were removed from South Carolina, the state would lose $1.8 billion in spending, $782 million in economic output and about 12,000 jobs.
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 02:28 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
2.2% may not seem like a lot but 50,000 is a big number. Can you figure out the cost of deporting every single illegal immigrant in a single and small state such as South Carolina? I cant even imagine a state like California. It is imposible to deport every single one of them.

Many of you keep saying that those of us that are in favor of legalizing illegal immigrants, must be because we have illegal immigrant relatives but what you dont realize is that it can infact be devastating economically to many towns and cities across the nation. I was born and grew up in a sanctuary town where today, if all illegal immigrants were removed, it would weaken our economy significantly.

Ike has already proved Illegals will pack it home if they are given the fear of random deportation. It can be done extremely cheap.

If a town is compiled of illegals it doesn't deserve to exist. Removing these towns would weaken Mexico's economy not the US.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 AM

14,811 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Quote:
How would you even know that they are illegal?
How many americans if they get pulled over right now can prove that they are legal citizens of the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ike has already proved Illegals will pack it home if they are given the fear of random deportation. It can be done extremely cheap.
The complete opposite, Ike attracted immigrants to work rebuilding New Orleans

Immigrants Rush to New Orleans as Contractors Fight for Workers - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-12-2009, 06:50 AM

60,155 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Quote:

Why deport them?? That cost money.

It is even easier than that. Go after those that put the illegals to work, with very high fines, and mandatory jail time, with loss of all your assets and there will only be a handful of greedy Americans, that will chance hiring them.

Problem solved. No cost, and a good revenue, for the government, on seizing assets and fines, which would pay for their jail time.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 AM

807 posts, read 1,116,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why deport them?? That cost money.

It is even easier than that. Go after those that put the illegals to work, with very high fines, and mandatory jail time, with loss of all your assets and there will only be a handful of greedy Americans, that will chance hiring them.

Problem solved. No cost, and a good revenue, for the government, on seizing assets and fines, which would pay for their jail time.
I Agree..

Enforce the laws.. Fine and/or jail those that employ them.. And cut off ALL Social Services.. Also, close the loophole in the 14th Amendment that allows for Anchor Babies to have all the same rights and priviledges as U.S. citizens..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Quote:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, South Carolina's unemployment rate for 2009 is 11.8%.

If illegals left, I doubt very much that SC's economy would 'weaken'; there are plenty of Americans to take their places; spending their earnings here in the US instead of sending half to some other country; paying taxes and contributing to the state's economy, lowering any necessary unemployment and/or welfare payments made by the state to those Americans currently unemployed.

The argument made by the Pew Hispanic Center does not hold water.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, South Carolina's unemployment rate for 2009 is 11.8%.

If illegals left, I doubt very much that SC's economy would 'weaken'; there are plenty of Americans to take their places; spending their earnings here in the US instead of sending half to some other country; paying taxes and contributing to the state's economy, lowering any necessary unemployment and/or welfare payments made by the state to those Americans currently unemployed.

The argument made by the Pew Hispanic Center does not hold water.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary
You know that and I know that...........just that the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens and their friends gag @ the concept they are quite expendable concerning them being needed as workers.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<<Ike attracted immigrants to work rebuilding New Orleans>>

Ike? I think you might mean Bush.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:

This is exactly what the illegals have been counting on. If they just illegally squat in the US for long enough, we will eventually throw up our hands and say, "Oh all right, we will give you amnesty because it would cost too much to deport all of you". We tried amnesty before and it most assuredly did not work. Anything that allows them to stay (path to citizenship) will yield the same result. Do you honestly think that Paco is going to stay in Mexico once he sees that his cousin Juan is on a 'path to citizenship'? No. He will be headed across the border just as fast as his legs can carry him so he can get his. If the DREAM act is passed, every familia with a school age kid will sneak into the US to await the next serial DREAM act. In short, no matter what it costs to get them out, in the long run it will be much cheaper than allowing them to stay.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Ike attracted immigrants to work rebuilding New Orleans>>

Ike? I think you might mean Bush.
Ike as in president Eisenhower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration