Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
No, no, no... YOU are wrong.

Having an I-phone is not a right.

Give up the $150 a month phone, the flat screen, the financed truck, the name brand clothes. Many Americans need to experience what 'humble pie' tastes like.
I understand your point about many Americans (like the welfare and unemployment recipients) who feel that certain jobs are simply too inferior for them to do. Your opening posts seems to be flying over everyone's heads in this thread, even though the gist of what you're saying is pretty common sense. I know many people who were in respected professions who worked as waiters and fast food workers and construction workers when they couldn't find work. Those types of people are too few and far between. I agree that it should be a civic duty to study things like math, engineering and medicine that help our country and our community over studying empty degrees that mean nothing. America needs a serious return to pragmatism and away from materialism. I just read an article about how the average savings rate among all Americans last year was 1%-awful. There are going to be alot of poor elderly people in the next 20 years.

I'll add also that if an American business cant find Americans to do jobs they need (or if they dont want to pay someone a living wage), then that company should move to another nation where they can find those workers, not the other way around. Too many businesses want to be in a 1st world country but pay a third world wage. Cant have your cake and eat it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I call BS on virtually everything you posted---------especially what I bolded.

Last time that I checked; the official unemployment rate in California alone is above 10%..................translation------------those 'jobs that Americans won't do' are looking very good right about now.
???! What are you talking about? How does 10% unemployment mean that the people who were laid off don't want to work?? Did they all quit?? Did they all walk off the job(s) saying "I'm not going to work for Union Scale anymore cuz I can't pay my IPhone bill or make the payment on the F350 on $52.00/hr???

H

Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I know many people who were in respected professions who worked as waiters and fast food workers and construction workers when they couldn't find work. Those types of people are too few and far between. I agree that it should be a civic duty to study things like math, engineering and medicine that help our country and our community over studying empty degrees that mean nothing. America needs a serious return to pragmatism and away from materialism. I just read an article about how the average savings rate among all Americans last year was 1%-awful. There are going to be alot of poor elderly people in the next 20 years.

I'll add also that if an American business cant find Americans to do jobs they need (or if they dont want to pay someone a living wage), then that company should move to another nation where they can find those workers, not the other way around. Too many businesses want to be in a 1st world country but pay a third world wage. Cant have your cake and eat it too.
Do you really think that people are choosing to live in tents or on the street because they don't want to do construction or pick grapes or wash dishes???!!! Do you really think that? Just shut up and thank whatever it is you thank that you are not presently in such a predicament. I can't wait to see the look on some of your faces when you find out that no one, NO ONE wants to hire an unskilled white male (or female) day laborer. Even picking grapes has a learning curve and you don't have it. Blah, blah, blah, talk is so cheap. When you all stop talking crap is when I will start to worry. That will mean it is finally starting to sink in.

H

Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Do you really think that people are choosing to live in tents or on the street because they don't want to do construction or pick grapes or wash dishes???!!! Do you really think that? Just shut up and thank whatever it is you thank that you are not presently in such a predicament. I can't wait to see the look on some of your faces when you find out that no one, NO ONE wants to hire an unskilled white male (or female) day laborer. Even picking grapes has a learning curve and you don't have it. Blah, blah, blah, talk is so cheap. When you all stop talking crap is when I will start to worry. That will mean it is finally starting to sink in.

H
All the more reason to have employer sanctions laws similar to what we have here in Arizona-------------our illegal alien population had dropped 30-50% since 2007 and is continuing to decline.

Translation: since the illegal alien competition is fast being eliminated----------maybe the greedy employers will be forced to hire Americans of any ancestral race/ethnicity instead.

I certainly do not have a problem with the above scenario...........do you?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H

I guess I struck a nerve.
Not everyone deserves what is happening to them. For every one person who SHOULD be on unemployment or may make a good case for being on welfare, there are many others who are taking advantage of the generosity of this country. There are many Americans who feel they are entitled to this or that and who are poor future-time orientation. That is what I'm saying. As far as grape picking-after you take a moment to calm down, read the second paragraph of my post.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
and this is where i stop taking you seriously.

liberal arts fufu degrees?

more ignorance.

Quote:
If Americans had picked up shovels in the first place (temporarily, when down on luck or out of a job) the illegals wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, the American work ethic sucks as of late. Welfare and unemployment abuse is better than working a dirty job for the time being for most Americans.

Same thing goes for all of our college students pursuing 'liberal arts'-fufu degrees. If they pursued degrees that actually mattered, we wouldn't have to import nurses and engineers by the 747 load.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
so what are decent wages for central [CA] valley fruit picking?
what would you all do it for? 10$? 15$?

what about hotel work? 8$? 10$? 12$?

janitorial work? 10$? 12$?

flipping burgers?

i think there is a minimum wage for a reason. all these jobs pay minimum or better (the ones on the books of course).

should the minimum wage go up?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
There would be no need for the illegal workforce in this country that supposedly do the jobs that Americans "refuse" to do.

If the unemployed in this country started mowing lawns, digging ditches, picking fruit and making beds we would have near perfect unemployment. The question is, would big city poverty pimps/politicians allow thier constituents to get off the welfare rolls.

We should put a shovel in the hand of welfare moms and dads and kick the low skilled illegal workers out of this country.
The problem is that the work ethic of the illegals is much better than welfare people....a LOT of people are on welfare because they are lazy and don't want to work. There would be a big drop off in productivity. But I still agree...I think illegals should be deported and all people on welfare should be required to work for their money.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The problem is that the work ethic of the illegals is much better than welfare people....a LOT of people are on welfare because they are lazy and don't want to work. There would be a big drop off in productivity. But I still agree...I think illegals should be deported and all people on welfare should be required to work for their money.
The work ethic of illegals may be better due to the hammer of deportation hanging over their heads---------a more extreme analogy would be the Gulags of the former USSR where if a person did not work hard the alternative was death.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
This is a real issue in Saudi Arabia; many Saudis feel that certain menial jobs are below them, so the country imported people from India, Indonesia, the Philippines, etc. to do menial labor.

Of course they have no chance at Saudi citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
Some people consider certain jobs to be "beneath" them. I'm in college. I have champagne taste with a beer budget. No job is beneath me, I need the money. I can't tell you what kinds of jobs I have had to do just to make some money, but I did them because I needed the money and I have a sense of dignity and don't want to be sucking off the government's you know what.
I know it sounds trite because we've all heard it before, but when my family migrated here they had another word for these jobs no one is willing to do, they called them "opportunity". These jobs were an opportunity to put food on the table, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration