Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times

Advertisements

WHAT?!?!?! you are so wrong!!!

ok the tear drop thing is about hits, but the virgen of guad?!?! you have to be kidding me! and tattoos on the neck dont mean anything. very rarely is it the placement of the tat that signifies something. but rather the content of said tat. only in certain instances (like the tear drop, webs on elbows) can you tell gang affiliation (or activities) by tat location.

also, norten~o and suren~os colors are reversed. north is red, blue is south.
does not sound like you know what you are talking about.
furhtherthat idea of north v. south really only exists in the upper half of CA. in LA, there is no real Nor v. So.
besides all salvi gangs are considered southerners.

please dont spread misinformation. that just leads to more paranoia.

AND I REPEAT...
the line between wannabes and thugs is very blurry [aesthetically]. i was in orange county a bit back and saw a TON of these privileged kids (white asian, brown) walking around fullerton all tatted up. looking like they just stepped straight out of jail. baggy clothes. matching colors. could they have been gang memebers? no! how did i figure that out (aside from close to 40 years of hood life?) once they opened their moth to speak. or when i saw them hop into their lexus SUV. there were a couple other giveaways. even with the one idiot that i saw with a tear drop he had mostly rockabilly type tats. dice. flames. etc.

its hard to tell.
one thing is for sure.
the virgen of gaudalupe is NOT gang insignia.
she belongs to america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Tattoos are one good way. They even advertise they've killed someone with a teardrop -tattoo below their eye. Tattoos of the Virgen of Guadalupe is usually a sign of gang membership and tattos on the neck. They also dress like gangs and they usually wear a bandana to show gang affiliation - blue is for norteños, red is for sureños.

If they worship Santa Muerte, run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
I agree there is a lot of misinformation and just like they spread wrong info for gangs, they also do it for illegal immigration.

I would also like to add that the tattoos of webs are also not necesarily a sign that they belong to a gang. It actually means, someone that has done time in prison. As someone who has worked for corrections, this is one thing that we get "specialized training" for. Not to mention my experience in the "hood".

But certainly a tattoo of the "Virgen de Guadalupe" is not a sign of gang affiliation. It's more of a sign of "DEVOTION" and a "CATHOLIC". Not my business how someone chooses to practice their spirituality. Some people have demons as tattoos and when you ask them if they worship the devil, many say, "No, I did it because it looks cool." It just goes with the whole gothic look, its a fashion statement.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
In the aftermath of 911 large cities got more federal undercover guys. Gangs may have paid off local cops with their drug money, but the FBI started reporting the crooked cops and the gangs.
The local cops started retiring early and new ones were hired who would not cooperate with gangs so the gangs started moving into suburbs. Suburban police are not prepared for the sudden onslaught of organized crime, so some small towns are controlled by these thugs.

Drug gangs gain power partly through purchasing police and officials. In Mexico nobody knows whom to trust. Gangs even break in and shoot up drug rehab clinics. That could be us if nothing is done about these lowlifes. Who is actively pursuing drug gangs in the US? When the CIA is caught multiple times bringing the stuff into the country and we had a President who wanted open borders and to stop inspecting trucks - who can help us? I can understand how every home would want guns and it is easy to see how the situation in Mexico developed because it is happening here and I see little that is stopping it.

I think drugs should be legalizd or at least decriminlized to take the profit out of them. Thugs are attracted here because they can make money. Once that stops there should be less of them.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
yes and yes about the tats. its crazy all these kids getting web tats on their elbows. they dont even know what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree there is a lot of misinformation and just like they spread wrong info for gangs, they also do it for illegal immigration.

I would also like to add that the tattoos of webs are also not necesarily a sign that they belong to a gang. It actually means, someone that has done time in prison. As someone who has worked for corrections, this is one thing that we get "specialized training" for. Not to mention my experience in the "hood".

But certainly a tattoo of the "Virgen de Guadalupe" is not a sign of gang affiliation. It's more of a sign of "DEVOTION" and a "CATHOLIC". Not my business how someone chooses to practice their spirituality. Some people have demons as tattoos and when you ask them if they worship the devil, many say, "No, I did it because it looks cool." It just goes with the whole gothic look, its a fashion statement.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I live in the nova/dca area where there is a prevalence of MS13 gang members, especially in my neighborhood Arlandria and in Montgomery County Maryland. My question is, how do you know who the gang members are and what can I do to be safe, as I am female and live alone. We do have a satellite Police office and officers who patrol the area on the weekends.
Consider investing in a gun. As you probably know Virginia has loose gun laws and is very pro self-defense.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
WHAT?!?!?! you are so wrong!!!

ok the tear drop thing is about hits, but the virgen of guad?!?! you have to be kidding me! and tattoos on the neck dont mean anything. very rarely is it the placement of the tat that signifies something. but rather the content of said tat. only in certain instances (like the tear drop, webs on elbows) can you tell gang affiliation (or activities) by tat location.

also, norten~o and suren~os colors are reversed. north is red, blue is south.
does not sound like you know what you are talking about.
furhtherthat idea of north v. south really only exists in the upper half of CA. in LA, there is no real Nor v. So.
besides all salvi gangs are considered southerners.

please dont spread misinformation. that just leads to more paranoia.

AND I REPEAT...
the line between wannabes and thugs is very blurry [aesthetically]. i was in orange county a bit back and saw a TON of these privileged kids (white asian, brown) walking around fullerton all tatted up. looking like they just stepped straight out of jail. baggy clothes. matching colors. could they have been gang memebers? no! how did i figure that out (aside from close to 40 years of hood life?) once they opened their moth to speak. or when i saw them hop into their lexus SUV. there were a couple other giveaways. even with the one idiot that i saw with a tear drop he had mostly rockabilly type tats. dice. flames. etc.

its hard to tell.
one thing is for sure.
the virgen of gaudalupe is NOT gang insignia.
she belongs to america.
You are wrong. Some gangs use the Virgin of Guadalupe as a gang symbol. You are right that I reversed the colors.

Check this out:

and:

Gang Tattoos - Youth Gangs of El Paso and the Southwest United States - Operation No Gangs (http://operationnogangs.org/tattoos.html - broken link)

Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 PM

247 posts, read 379,839 times
There's a website (about gangs) that lists their colors, etc. You may want to have a look at it:
nwgangs.com

Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

You are wrong. Just about any thing can become a gang symbol. San Juan Malverde is the patron saint of drug traffickers also, often right alongside the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Phoenix News - Drug Lord - page 1

La nueva narco-religión « Reditus: A Chronicle of Aesthetic Christianity

Local News : Judge allows Santa Muerte evidence in trial of accused drug smuggler : Sierra Vista, AZ (http://www.svherald.com/articles/2006/10/27/local_news/news4.txt - broken link)

DRUGS-MEXICO: 'Saint Death' Sought for Blessing in Endless War - IPS ipsnews.net

I know that devout Mexican Catholics have statues and pictures of the Virgin of Guadalupe, they don't tend to carve the image onto their backs and chests however.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
There's a website (about gangs) that lists their colors, etc. You may want to have a look at it:
nwgangs.com
I already said I switched the colors, it doesn't matter all that much if someone is using a blue or a red bandana, they are not good people either way. Excet that innocent farm workers will often wear a red bandana that doesn't mean gang membership at all, it's for sweat, or used as a hankerchief, they tend to have no tattoos and don't dress like cholos.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You are wrong. Just about any thing can become a gang symbol. I know that devout Mexican Catholics have statues and pictures of the Virgin of Guadalupe, they don't tend to carve the image onto their backs and chests however.
Gang members with tattoos of the Virgin of Guadelupe do not have those tattoos as a gang symbol. They have it as a symbol of their heritage and religion. There are many people in the US who have no connection with gangs who have tattoos of the Virgin of Guadelupe.

(I emphasize the US because tattooing is far less popular in Mexico than in the US. Outside of "hip" circles in Mexico City - and make no mistake, DF has a lot more artsy/hipster types than Americans who've never been there would think - tattoos in Mexico are generally either for sailors or prisoners, and traditional Mexicans often think Americans' penchant for tattooing is "crazy gringo stuff".)

It's ridiculous to think of the Virgin of Guadelupe as a gang symbol - what, one gang's going to have the Virgin of Guadelupe as a symbol and their rivals will have the Virgin of Solitude (La Soledad) as a symbol and kill each other over which Virgin they are devoted to? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration