U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times

Advertisements

FAIR, which stands for Federation for American Immigration Reform, was founded by John Tanton has been listed as a hate group.

Quote:
At the center of the Tanton web is the nonprofit Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), the most important organization fueling the backlash against immigration. Founded by Tanton in 1979, FAIR has long been marked by anti-Latino and anti-Catholic attitudes. It has mixed this bigotry with a fondness for eugenics, the idea of breeding better humans discredited by its Nazi associations. It has accepted $1.2 million from an infamous, racist eugenics foundation. It has employed officials in key positions who are also members of white supremacist groups. Recently, it has promoted racist conspiracy theories about Mexico's secret designs on the American Southwest and an alternative theory alleging secret plans to merge the United States, Mexico and Canada. Just last February, a senior FAIR official sought "advice" from the leaders of a racist Belgian political party.
SPLCenter.org: The Teflon Nativists

Last edited by zacatecana; 09-17-2009 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
FAIR, which stands for Federation for American Immigration Reform, was founded by John Tanton has been listed as a hate group.

SPLCenter.org: The Teflon Nativists
Oh please... the SPLC lists any group supportive of LEGAL immigration and the enforcement of it a hate group. The SPLC is about at unbiased as the Huffington Post, LULAC, and any other group that demands the dissolution of the US borders.

Dude, you really need to put that head back on your shoulders.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
A lot of the claims that the SPLC is making are exaggerations and just plain old outright lies. FAIR is not anti-immigrant they are for legal immigration in reasonable numbers and they are ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRATON. There is one of their outright lies right there and yet you give credibility to liars, zac?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:50 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh please... the SPLC lists any group supportive of LEGAL immigration and the enforcement of it a hate group.
The SPLC does not list NumbersUSA or the Center for Immigration Studies as hate groups although it has criticized them. NumbersUSA would be hard to characterize as a hate group - the SPLC does not consider them a hate group although they criticized its leader Roy Beck for having had ties to John Tanton in the past and called upon Beck to renounce Tanton's extreme views.

FAIR is listed as a hate group because it has worked with white supremacists in the past rather than because of mere opposition to illegal immigration.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
thanks for that clarification, and for not automatically dismissing this assertion as others did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The SPLC does not list NumbersUSA or the Center for Immigration Studies as hate groups although it has criticized them. NumbersUSA would be hard to characterize as a hate group - the SPLC does not consider them a hate group although they criticized its leader Roy Beck for having had ties to John Tanton in the past and called upon Beck to renounce Tanton's extreme views.

FAIR is listed as a hate group because it has worked with white supremacists in the past rather than because of mere opposition to illegal immigration.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,625,689 times
I suppose it's a "hate group" to some people....(particularly those who are opposed to controlling immigration). "Hate" is a pretty subjective word.

I recall in the weeks following 9-11...the fire trucks in the City of Berkeley, Calif., (like many others) flew huge American flags as a sign of solidarity with the victims. After a few weeks, city officials had had enough. They'd gotten many complaints, and the flags were ordered removed on the grounds that they 'sent a bad message' and were 'divisive'.

The American flag 'sends a bad message'? It's 'divisive'? Seems pretty far-fetched to me..but I guess the city officials in Berkeley thought so....and acted accordingly.

Controlling illegal immigration is 'hateful'? It must be....at least to those who don't want it controlled.

And the Minutemen are "vigilantes"...at least, that's what President Bush felt...(no word on what he called REAL vigilantes).

Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I suppose it's a "hate group" to some people....(particularly those who are opposed to controlling immigration). "Hate" is a pretty subjective word.

I recall in the weeks following 9-11...the fire trucks in the City of Berkeley, Calif., (like many others) flew huge American flags as a sign of solidarity with the victims. After a few weeks, city officials had had enough. They'd gotten many complaints, and the flags were ordered removed on the grounds that they 'sent a bad message' and were 'divisive'.

The American flag 'sends a bad message'? It's 'divisive'? Seems pretty far-fetched to me..but I guess the city officials in Berkeley thought so....and acted accordingly.

Controlling illegal immigration is 'hateful'? It must be....at least to those who don't want it controlled.

And the Minutemen are "vigilantes"...at least, that's what President Bush felt...(no word on what he called REAL vigilantes).
Too bad that the Berkeley City Council was not told to go 'pound sand'--------or else.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

I actually posted this to see what kind of responses I would get from people. I admit I dont know much about FAIR. However, I did find that one of the members of FAIR was actually Forde, the Minutemen lady that did the home invasion and killed a young girl and her father.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,130,218 times
The SPLC is about as biased as the veyr people they claim to be going after. They are a dangerous subversive group and the FBI needs to look into them and if necessary shut them down.

Anyone who opposes illegal immigration is labeled a hate group. Pretty soon I bet they label anyone/any group opposed to Obama as a hate group too.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I actually posted this to see what kind of responses I would get from people. I admit I dont know much about FAIR. However, I did find that one of the members of FAIR was actually Forde, the Minutemen lady that did the home invasion and killed a young girl and her father.
So what? She probably joined FAIR just because they are opposed to illegal immigration. She picked them, they didn't pick her! FAIR doesn't advocate violence against anyone including illegal aliens. You are trying to demonize a whole group because of some radical that joined them only for their anti-illegal immigration views. Nice try, but no cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or