U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times

Advertisements

Just for the hell of it and just to see how much information I could get, I signed up for LaRaza/NCLR newsletters.
This is a news letter I receive today...............

LaRaza say's: "enough is enough!"

We're sick and tired of national policymakers turning nasty politics into bad policies at the expense of the Latino community. After Representative Joe Wilson's outburst at President Obama during his recent address on health care reform, many members of Congress-on both sides of the aisle-are tripping over themselves to marginalize and demonize immigrant communities. Politicians are advancing policies that undermine access to health coverage for many people who would be eligible for new health care options in reform-U.S. citizens and legal immigrants.

This week, it is particularly important that we reach out to our nation's leaders and tell them that successful reform does not put roadblocks between health care and our families. The Senate Finance Committee is expected to advance health care reform legislation and vote on numerous amendments that could affect your ability to access affordable, quality health care coverage. Some of NCLR's key concerns moving forward are that:

•Legal immigrants will still be subject to a five-year waiting period and other restrictions before they can get Medicaid. Yet, they will still be required to purchase insurance.
•U.S. citizens and legal immigrants will be unfairly denied access to tax credits that are supposed to make health insurance more affordable because they have a householder who is an unauthorized immigrant. Yet, these very same U.S. citizens and legal immigrants will be required to purchase insurance without the tax credits designed to help them afford coverage.
•Certain amendments could impose harsh verification provisions that keep eligible people from enrolling in health insurance. The bill already has verification measures that could add more paperwork in the insurance application process. Yet, eligible people will be required to purchase insurance.
•The bill shuts out people who are willing to pay full price for their health care-unauthorized workers can't get health coverage even if they pay out of their own pockets. Yet, there are legislators who will offer amendments that require these ineligible immigrants to purchase insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,115,435 times
Why are they mad at Wilson?

Obama was the one that said he was going to deny them healthcare.

Republicans passed a law back in 1986 that grants hospital access to everyone in this country including illegals. Even if they can't pay.

Seems to me La Raza should be mad at democrats and democrats only on this one. They are the ones that are trying to deny them care that republicans made sure they could access.

Obama stood up there on antional tv and says he is denying them healthcare. And they mention Wilson's name? LOLS.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Why are they mad at Wilson?

Obama was the one that said he was going to deny them healthcare.

Republicans passed a law back in 1986 that grants hospital access to everyone in this country including illegals. Even if they can't pay.

Seems to me La Raza should be mad at democrats and democrats only on this one. They are the ones that are trying to deny them care that republicans made sure they could access.

Obama stood up there on antional tv and says he is denying them healthcare. And they mention Wilson's name? LOLS.
Didn't you know that Obama was their hero?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM

846 posts, read 1,115,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Didn't you know that Obama was their hero?

LOLs. I know.

Can you imagine if Bush had said "I will not offer healthcare to illegal immigrants"

They would riot in the streets.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
What's the point of this post?
The point is that this is the "illegal immigration" forum.

If you don't like it, don't read it. It's that simple!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Check your tone.

Back to grown up speak, what's the point of it, when it explicitly discusses "American citizens and legal immigrants"?
Quote:
•U.S. citizens and legal immigrants will be unfairly denied access to tax credits that are supposed to make health insurance more affordable because they have a householder who is an unauthorized immigrant. Yet, these very same U.S. citizens and legal immigrants will be required to purchase insurance without the tax credits designed to help them afford coverage.
'Unauthorized immigrants', which is NCLR-speak for illegal aliens, are neither citizens or legal immigrants. The topic is totally appropriate for discussion, IMO.

NCLR is simply blowing smoke. They want everyone in their 'grupo' eligible for insurance/Medicare/Medicaid irrespective of their 'status'

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
It's kind of a stretch. It's mostly talking about the effects on Citizens/Legals, but even when it does mention the unauthorized, it makes a good point.l
You tell us why you feel this thread is so inappropriate for discussion on this forum..

Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that in the first place. I asked the point was. I wanted to know what you are saying with this post, instead of just copy-pasting an article you think the people here will enjoy.

I'm curious what bothers you when most of the information is regarding Americans and legal immigrants.

Do you have an opinion at all? Because you seem pretty defensive when I simply ask you for one.

What bothers me is when La Raza tries to make it sound as if all illegals are will to pay for insurance out of pocket, when it's already been proven different..

Quote:
•The bill shuts out people who are willing to pay full price for their health care-unauthorized workers can't get health coverage even if they pay out of their own pockets.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
This thread is totally appropriate. Only the PC sheeple and the misinformed don’t realize “immigrant” and “undocumented” are euphemisms used by illegal alien peddlers to obfuscate and garner sympathy for illegal invaders.

Why would a “legal” resident of this country even worry about citizenship verification?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 AM

60,095 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Why would a “legal” resident of this country even worry about citizenship verification?

Exactly!
If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
This should be interesting, to see the reply to skate that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration