Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amark View Post
This poll doesn't really mean anything. If I were to go to most developing countries in the world I would receive a very similar response to what is said in this poll. Of course people living in impoverished conditions are going to want to escape since living illegally in the USA is probably better than living legally in their respective countries.

This is a fact that will never change unless their standards of living go up, or ours suddenly drops. Instead, of just singling out Mexicans because they are geographically closest to us and numerically largest we should be focusing on enforcement, stopping incentives for ALL illegals to come here, and political pressure for reforms in their respective countries.
As you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
See, you have to focus on Mexicans. That's not what was being talked about. She stated people are cowardly fleeing their countries. Why does that only apply to Mexicans and not all immigrants, legal or otherwise?
Reread benicar's post; your reply and my reply to yours.

Face it: the pro illegals are losing the battle-----------big time. Translation: if here illegally; leave the USA while it is relatively safe to do so----------otherwise, they will need to deal with the very real prospect of having their assets seized as well as sitting in internment camps prior to their permanent expulsion from here.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,552,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
One might break down the post as it was meant to be interpreted.
The post says : Yes, it’s absolutely pathetic. Yet, when they come here, they proclaim their undying love for Mexico, wave the Mexican flag, and strive to transform our country into the third-world squalor they so cowardly fled.
They enter illegally. They flee their homeland, without regard to our laws because it was so bad for them.
They come here and try to make us change for them. They wave the flag of the country they ran from in our faces.
When you look at the communities they over run often you see conditions and squalor like that of their origins.
What is cowardly is the fact that they didn't have the guts, the determination, the drive, or the urgency to change their home land. But, now they have it all to protect what they have taken illegally.
That was the point of Benecars post.
Thank you! That is precisely what I was saying. Sorry, I can't rep you.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,552,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
See, you have to focus on Mexicans. That's not what was being talked about. She stated people are cowardly fleeing their countries. Why does that only apply to Mexicans and not all immigrants, legal or otherwise?
I mentioned Mexico, because the thread specifically relates to a poll taken by Mexican citizens. Now, had the poll involved Haitians, I would have commented accordingly. Please refer to Tinman’s post #9 for further clarification.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Well Benicar I do try.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But I can .............and did !!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Don't you love it? They are unhappy with the things in their own country, but rather than banding together and working for change, all they can think about is heading for El Norte and hopping on board the Great American Gravy Train. God help us!
That's the problem. It's very easy to simply pack up and head to the USA and demand amnesty and welfare handouts in the USA, why bother to reform your country or make needed changes in your own way of living that would improve yourselves?

Get pregnant without a husband at age 16? No problem, get over the border to a USA hospital in time for the birth and it's a free ride the rest of your life. Never want to work again? Head on over! Forgot to save money for your retirement? Get a relative to sponsor you and it's big fat US social security disabillity checks and you can live like a king or queen.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
This poll doesn't really mean anything. If I were to go to most developing countries in the world I would receive a very similar response to what is said in this poll. Of course people living in impoverished conditions are going to want to escape since living illegally in the USA is probably better than living legally in their respective countries.

This is a fact that will never change unless their standards of living go up, or ours suddenly drops. Instead, of just singling out Mexicans because they are geographically closest to us and numerically largest we should be focusing on enforcement, stopping incentives for ALL illegals to come here, and political pressure for reforms in their respective countries.
In Mexico IF they stay in school, finish their education, obtain job skills, delay the start of a family until after those and after they've found a job that can support a family and limit family size to what they can afford, they can become part of Mexico's growing middle class.

It's just so much easier to skip all that, get to the USA where no one fails. Here there's no reason to finish school, learn job skills, delay having children, or limit family size. In fact here the more kids, the more food stamps, WIC, and bigger housing subsidy.

Over half of Mexican girls living in the USA have at least one baby before age 20, the vast majority as unwed mothers. They certainly are not "improving themselves", they are not better than the hard working people living in Mexico. They might have all the materialistic things because that's how we do it here, but they are not better just because they snuck over the border.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:06 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,367 times
Quote:

Dude. You make way too much sense...

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the problem. It's very easy to simply pack up and head to the USA and demand amnesty and welfare handouts in the USA, why bother to reform your country or make needed changes in your own way of living that would improve yourselves?

Get pregnant without a husband at age 16? No problem, get over the border to a USA hospital in time for the birth and it's a free ride the rest of your life. Never want to work again? Head on over! Forgot to save money for your retirement? Get a relative to sponsor you and it's big fat US social security disabillity checks and you can live like a king or queen.
I work for the CA Department of Health Care Services. In short, Medi-Cal. There is an awful lot of what you describe going on here. However, while a baby born here gets certain rights, the same can't be said of the parent(s). They are still subject to the immigration laws. Whether enforcement is adequate is another story. Also, the laws have changed and benefits are being denied, and reduced at increasing rates.

Just how easy it is to "pack up and head to the USA..." is also debatable. Many die trying and many are turned back time and time again. Also, this living like a king or queen is debatable. Most of us here are used to a much higher standard of living and would not even consider trying to live on the welfare these people get. It would only feel like royalty if you were used to having nothing. Still. Abuse is abuse. And yes, it does go on. The debate is so often to what extent it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration