U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,912,077 times
Reputation: 2989

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
This is kind of like a story but I think it holds up why I am against illegal immigration. Please do read.

Back in the late 60's, my father was a 17 year old boy. He was born and raised in India. Seeing that there were no jobs and future for him there, he decided to come to the west. He lived in a house that barely had a roof on it and the pollution was just horrible. He wanted a better life for himself and his future children. Note that I nor my sister were born.

He applied for a Green Card to come to Canada (I will get to America next) and he waited for six or seven months and got that letter in the mail. Canada granted him the Green Card. He left India and came to study and work in Canada. He made $3.50 an hour working in a corn field and learned English fluently in India BEFORE coming to Canada. (Unlike some illegal immigrants who come here and expect US to learn Spanish.)

My father educated himself on $3.50 an hour in a country that was very foreign to him at the age of 17. He paid rent, paid tuition, car insurance, food, etc etc. He did not go on welfare at all (Unlike some illegal immigrants who come here and expect handouts) and he is still damn proud of that today.

Time flew by and he decided to get married. He got married to my mother and finished up his college degree as an engineer. A year later, I was born. He applied for jobs in the USA and Canada. Several companies from the USA called my dad back. He got the job with Chrysler and applied for citizenship LEGALLY.

To make the long story short, today my dad lives in a house that has a roof () and has spent around 15 years with Chrysler as a tool and dye maker. He says he would never have this in India and is grateful he got the chances to come to Canada and the United States.

This is why I am against illegal immigration. My dad worked hard to study English in India, he applied legally, paid taxes, DID NOT use any welfare from either Canada or USA and worked hard in general. How is it fair to hard working LEGAL immigrants (who take their time to learn Canadian/America culture and language) when illegals come here and go on welfare with no wait? Legal immigrants wait however long it takes while illegals just jump that fence and come over here.

Sorry but the sob story does not work with me. They can apply legally to come to USA/Canada but jumping the fence and expecting us to take care of them is INSANE. My father (my hero) worked so hard and saved up money to come to the West and give me, my sister and my mother a better life. And he did.

I keep on reading about illegals who want the DREAM Act passed. You are kidding, right? I hear about grants and loans for these people. Why? Why do they get this special treatment? They don't pay taxes. I do. So why don't I get some free money? What makes them so special? Why do I feel like I am being punished for being a law abiding LEGAL citizen?

Why should illegals get the short cut while hard working immigrants don't?
You have every right to feel the way you do. Illegal immigration is a very direct...very clear...and very personal "slap in the face" to those who went through the process and came here legally. It's a personal insult to your father and others like him. It says "those who come here LEGALLY are the 'suckers' ". It's a terrible message to send to anyone in our society...PARTICULARLY immigrants.

Expect lots of anger and 'confrontation' for your views....but don't expect a coherent rebuttal..for there's no argument with what you say. You're absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,257,543 times
Reputation: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You have every right to feel the way you do. Illegal immigration is a very direct...very clear...and very personal "slap in the face" to those who went through the process and came here legally. It's a personal insult to your father and others like him. It says "those who come here LEGALLY are the 'suckers' ". It's a terrible message to send to anyone in our society...PARTICULARLY immigrants.

Expect lots of anger and 'confrontation' for your views....but don't expect a coherent rebuttal..for there's no argument with what you say. You're absolutely right.
Thank you, macmeal.

It is a slap in the face! My father is so hardworking. He made a big sacrifice coming to Canada knowing it may or may not work out. He studied English for years in India and then applied for citizenship. In other words, he has RESPECT for Canada when he tried to come here. He learned their culture and worked very hard to pay off tuition and rent.

I know I did not have to go through this because I am his daughter but that was the whole point. He came here to give us all a better life!

And yet, these people somehow think they are entitled to welfare and grants to school? Well, I got news. You aren't. ONLY AMERICAN CITIZENS ARE.

If I go into labor next week, I will have bills upon bills to pay. Illegals? It goes on tax money. Horrible. Just downright disgusting.

People can give me rebuttals but none of them will have logic or fact. I am a very logical and factual person. I could probably throw this story at them and what can you possible say back? NOTHING.

I have NOTHING against legal immigration. I am all for it. This is what the USA/Canada is about. Better life and chances. You can provide for your family and be safe. They work hard here and increase work ethic at some place. THIS is what Canada/USA is for! Not jumping the border and getting free welfare.

YEAH RIGHT!

Sorry about the rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,404,661 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
This is kind of like a story but I think it holds up why I am against illegal immigration. Please do read.

Back in the late 60's, my father was a 17 year old boy. He was born and raised in India. Seeing that there were no jobs and future for him there, he decided to come to the west. He lived in a house that barely had a roof on it and the pollution was just horrible. He wanted a better life for himself and his future children. Note that I nor my sister were born.

He applied for a Green Card to come to Canada (I will get to America next) and he waited for six or seven months and got that letter in the mail. Canada granted him the Green Card. He left India and came to study and work in Canada. He made $3.50 an hour working in a corn field and learned English fluently in India BEFORE coming to Canada. (Unlike some illegal immigrants who come here and expect US to learn Spanish.)

My father educated himself on $3.50 an hour in a country that was very foreign to him at the age of 17. He paid rent, paid tuition, car insurance, food, etc etc. He did not go on welfare at all (Unlike some illegal immigrants who come here and expect handouts) and he is still damn proud of that today.

Time flew by and he decided to get married. He got married to my mother and finished up his college degree as an engineer. A year later, I was born. He applied for jobs in the USA and Canada. Several companies from the USA called my dad back. He got the job with Chrysler and applied for citizenship LEGALLY.

To make the long story short, today my dad lives in a house that has a roof () and has spent around 15 years with Chrysler as a tool and dye maker. He says he would never have this in India and is grateful he got the chances to come to Canada and the United States.

This is why I am against illegal immigration. My dad worked hard to study English in India, he applied legally, paid taxes, DID NOT use any welfare from either Canada or USA and worked hard in general. How is it fair to hard working LEGAL immigrants (who take their time to learn Canadian/America culture and language) when illegals come here and go on welfare with no wait? Legal immigrants wait however long it takes while illegals just jump that fence and come over here.

Sorry but the sob story does not work with me. They can apply legally to come to USA/Canada but jumping the fence and expecting us to take care of them is INSANE. My father (my hero) worked so hard and saved up money to come to the West and give me, my sister and my mother a better life. And he did.

I keep on reading about illegals who want the DREAM Act passed. You are kidding, right? I hear about grants and loans for these people. Why? Why do they get this special treatment? They don't pay taxes. I do. So why don't I get some free money? What makes them so special? Why do I feel like I am being punished for being a law abiding LEGAL citizen?

Why should illegals get the short cut while hard working immigrants don't?
As you stated. Hell; my father immigrated here legally from Hungary back in 1951.

Sidebar: hostility must be getting bad against illegal aliens (most of whom are 'brown' Mexicans) when 'people of color' are starting to raise their collective voices against the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 26,601,840 times
Reputation: 16255
I migrated here legally from Germany when I was 9 in 1992. For my Mother and Father (my Mother was born in california, so she was a legal citizen) it was a lot of money and a lot of paperwork and time to be able to bring himself, me and my sister over to the US. He spoke English fluently and so did I (we're immersed in English very early in Germany) and he already had job prospects and offers in the US before we moved.

I do feel cheated when I think about illegal immigration, because my parents worked their asses off to provide me and my siblings a decent place to live and to put food on the table with no help. But for some reason, there are people who think as long as they're on US soil they deserve all the free services they can get their hands on.

I'm an independent moderate who leans left and I'm wholeheartedly against illegal immigration of all kinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,404,661 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I migrated here legally from Germany when I was 9 in 1992. For my Mother and Father (my Mother was born in california, so she was a legal citizen) it was a lot of money and a lot of paperwork and time to be able to bring himself, me and my sister over to the US. He spoke English fluently and so did I (we're immersed in English very early in Germany) and he already had job prospects and offers in the US before we moved.

I do feel cheated when I think about illegal immigration, because my parents worked their asses off to provide me and my siblings a decent place to live and to put food on the table with no help. But for some reason, there are people who think as long as they're on US soil they deserve all the free services they can get their hands on.

I'm an independent moderate who leans left and I'm wholeheartedly against illegal immigration of all kinds.
Odd in your case that you and your sister had to jump through hoops to come here since your mom was/is a US citizen which would have bestowed the same on you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 26,601,840 times
Reputation: 16255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Odd in your case that you and your sister had to jump through hoops to come here since your mom was/is a US citizen which would have bestowed the same on you two.
Me and my sister didn't necessarily have to jump through hoops, but all 4 of us were living in Germany at the time and we were waiting for my Father to get his stuff in order. My Mom didn't want to split us all up etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,404,661 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Me and my sister didn't necessarily have to jump through hoops, but all 4 of us were living in Germany at the time and we were waiting for my Father to get his stuff in order. My Mom didn't want to split us all up etc.
I suspected such was the case; thank you for clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,694,039 times
Reputation: 1622
Yo Its like this.We that are citizens are getting disrespected by anyone who comes here from another country and breaks our law. Dont care if they like it or want to call it unfair and all that.ITs the law and every illegal I see is disrespecting me and this means they have to make it right, Its about respect....dont give it and you dont get it.....They showed the disrespect first when they came here without asking for permission.. They showed disrespect to me and my family and now they have created a problem which is sorta like a bill that has to be paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,729,762 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Thank you, macmeal.

It is a slap in the face! My father is so hardworking. He made a big sacrifice coming to Canada knowing it may or may not work out. He studied English for years in India and then applied for citizenship. In other words, he has RESPECT for Canada when he tried to come here. He learned their culture and worked very hard to pay off tuition and rent.

I know I did not have to go through this because I am his daughter but that was the whole point. He came here to give us all a better life!

And yet, these people somehow think they are entitled to welfare and grants to school? Well, I got news. You aren't. ONLY AMERICAN CITIZENS ARE.

If I go into labor next week, I will have bills upon bills to pay. Illegals? It goes on tax money. Horrible. Just downright disgusting.

People can give me rebuttals but none of them will have logic or fact. I am a very logical and factual person. I could probably throw this story at them and what can you possible say back? NOTHING.

I have NOTHING against legal immigration. I am all for it. This is what the USA/Canada is about. Better life and chances. You can provide for your family and be safe. They work hard here and increase work ethic at some place. THIS is what Canada/USA is for! Not jumping the border and getting free welfare.

YEAH RIGHT!

Sorry about the rant.
I wish we had more citizens of color like you who would make a stand against illegal immigration. When whites make a stand we are automatically branded as racist and uncaring. Whites have pretty much thrown in the towel and conceded America to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 02:50 AM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,858,285 times
Reputation: 7898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated. Hell; my father immigrated here legally from Hungary back in 1951.

Sidebar: hostility must be getting bad against illegal aliens (most of whom are 'brown' Mexicans) when 'people of color' are starting to raise their collective voices against the former.
I'm not sure why you wrote this. My friend who is Black (from Jamaica) became a legal citizen in the 1970s and is very opposed to illegals getting benefits or getting amnesty. BTW, many Mexicans also don't approve of undocumented workers, because of the negative stereotype.

I wish people would use the term illegal immigrants or undocumented workers. They are still human, whether or not they're breaking the law. Yes, I know what alien means, but that's just a way of demeaning & dehumanizing these people who are only trying to find work to feed their families. I agree they should all be deported, but I also sympathize with their plight to escape poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top