Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Research? I cited a NY Times article above. You cited http:// la.metblogs. com. Is www. la.metblogs. com the most reputable source of information you can find to back your arguments? Get real.
The notoriously pro-illegal NY Times? You’ve got to be kidding.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I was thinking the same thing, maybe a San Fran rag could be more slanted but not by much.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM

257 posts, read 407,668 times
There is nothing wrong with foreigners wanting to come here for a better life, what's wrong is these foreigners coming here and outnumbering Americans in their own town. That is ridiculous.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with foreigners wanting to come here for a better life, what's wrong is these foreigners coming here and outnumbering Americans in their own town. That is ridiculous.
Plus the fact that they are Illegal foreigners doing most of the squatting. Legal Immigrants for the most part speak English and are easy to communicate with but not this illegal horde.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I take it you think http:// la.metblogs. com is a more credible source than the NY Times? That explains a lot.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Me, and every other American consumer who buys fresh California produce (c/o illegal alien fruit pickers), golfs (gardeners and greenskeepers), or works/lives in a building in California (construction workers).
Try a little reading comprehension. I'm not talking about those of you who profit from illegal immigrants, I am talking about the law-breaking illegal immigrants themselves. By the way, illegal immigrants currently make up 8% total of the entire workforce in America. I hardly think that EVERY American consumer in the U.S. is living off "the fruits of their labors."

Would it kill you to look up a statistic before you shoot off your keyboard?

Quote:
Exploit? We don’t FORCE them to sneak into the U.S. to take low paying jobs. They are hard-working and ambitions, and come willingly to take difficult, low-paying jobs in order to feed their families. Are you suggesting that we increase their wages and include a benefits package for them?
Of all the apologist garbage I've ever read, this really has to take the cake. Certainly nobody is holding a gun to their heads. But taking advantage of a person's willingness to work for a fraction of what the job is actually worth really has NO ethical implications to you? I bet you are totally in favor of sweatshops and child labor too, aren't you...

And no, I'm not suggesting we increase their wages. I'm suggesting that we enforce our own immigration laws and allow the 9.9% unemployed Americans to fill the 8% illegal immigrant positions.

Do you really think for one moment that cheap labor is going to hold prices down on any of the markets illegal immigrants have infiltrated? Nobody is passing any savings on to you and if you believe otherwise, I have this cozy little piece of ocean front property here in the Laramie Range I'd like to sell you. Why don't you go down to your local community college and take an Economics class so that you can understand exactly how capitalism and the consumer market REALLY work.

Quote:
In the first part of your run-on sentence (above) you say that I want to “exploit” illegals. But here in the last part of the same sentence you want to take away the few benefits that we provide for them. Please make up you mind about which side of the issue you are on.
Thanks for the so-called English lesson. You're wrong of course, but thanks anyway. Additionally, the vast majority of Americans are tired of paying for those so-called benefits with their tax dollars. There are any number of non-biased polls on the internet, such as Zogby, which indicate that Americans are fed up with paying for illegal immigration. If you want them here, YOU pay for their "benefits."

Quote:
It might do you some good to take a remedial math class, pal. The 37mil people in California at a 12% unemployment rate doesn’t translate to 4.5mil looking for work. The 37mil includes infants and old people. I don’t think 77 year old Grampa Codger and 18 month old baby Sweet Pea are standing in the unemployment lines.
Perhaps you are the one who needs the math class. Using statistical information available from numerous population growth sites, I used an average based on population fluctuation in California since the last census along with a statistical average of employment aged people in the state of California to arrive at 4.5 million. This figure includes the underemployed, the partially employed, and those who have completely given up. Many financial analysts put the true unemployment figure at 18.47% or higher.

Quote:
Before the illegal aliens? Do you think this is a recent phenomenon? We have had illegal aliens since the first day we stretched a three-strand barbed wire fence along our side of the Rio Grande.
In 1986, Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to over one million illegal immigrants in the U.S. with the promise that this would never again be asked of the American people. At that time, the number of illegal aliens in the United States was significantly smaller than it is today. Illegal workers artificially depress compensation because they are the only ones who will do the work at such low wages. In actual fact, illegal immigration distorts the law of supply and demand in a capitalistic society. It is grossly hypocritical to want to raise the minimum wage on one hand while the other hand winks at illegal aliens working at far below prevailing wages.

Additionally, illegal workers are not just picking lettuce and digging ditches any more. It wasn't that long ago that being a dry-waller, brick-layer, house framer, painter, roofer, carpet layer, plumber, or electrician was a decently compensated, middle class trade. Now it is increasingly becoming the work for illegal aliens at far less than the free market rate. While illegal alien workers are only a small portion of many of those job categories, their willingness to work at dramatically lower rates artificially drags down the compensation for all workers.

Quote:
Probably good to take things in this forum with a grain of salt. I think about 95% of the posts in this forum are made by prejudiced old codgers who simply invent fake statistics to support their otherwise weak-minded arguments.
These "weak-minded arguments" I've just made are backed by credible resources available with a simple Google search. Not however, that I believe you'd actually look at any truth other than the one you've decided for yourself, regardless of the actual statistical information available.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Research? I cited a NY Times article above. You cited http:// la.metblogs. com. Is www. la.metblogs. com the most reputable source of information you can find to back your arguments? Get real.
Here you go. This story was in all the major newspapers, so I'm not surprised that you missed it.

Probe fingers 1,800 American Apparel workers | U.S. | Reuters

Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I take it you think http:// la.metblogs. com is a more credible source than the NY Times? That explains a lot.
I don’t recall commenting on Kele’s link; only your assertion that you had used a more credible source.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Try a little reading comprehension. I'm not talking about those of you who profit from illegal immigrants, I am talking about the law-breaking illegal immigrants themselves. By the way, illegal immigrants currently make up 8% total of the entire workforce in America. I hardly think that EVERY American consumer in the U.S. is living off "the fruits of their labors."

Would it kill you to look up a statistic before you shoot off your keyboard?

Of all the apologist garbage I've ever read, this really has to take the cake. Certainly nobody is holding a gun to their heads. But taking advantage of a person's willingness to work for a fraction of what the job is actually worth really has NO ethical implications to you? I bet you are totally in favor of sweatshops and child labor too, aren't you...

And no, I'm not suggesting we increase their wages. I'm suggesting that we enforce our own immigration laws and allow the 9.9% unemployed Americans to fill the 8% illegal immigrant positions.

Do you really think for one moment that cheap labor is going to hold prices down on any of the markets illegal immigrants have infiltrated? Nobody is passing any savings on to you and if you believe otherwise, I have this cozy little piece of ocean front property here in the Laramie Range I'd like to sell you. Why don't you go down to your local community college and take an Economics class so that you can understand exactly how capitalism and the consumer market REALLY work.

Thanks for the so-called English lesson. You're wrong of course, but thanks anyway. Additionally, the vast majority of Americans are tired of paying for those so-called benefits with their tax dollars. There are any number of non-biased polls on the internet, such as Zogby, which indicate that Americans are fed up with paying for illegal immigration. If you want them here, YOU pay for their "benefits."

Perhaps you are the one who needs the math class. Using statistical information available from numerous population growth sites, I used an average based on population fluctuation in California since the last census along with a statistical average of employment aged people in the state of California to arrive at 4.5 million. This figure includes the underemployed, the partially employed, and those who have completely given up. Many financial analysts put the true unemployment figure at 18.47% or higher.

In 1986, Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to over one million illegal immigrants in the U.S. with the promise that this would never again be asked of the American people. At that time, the number of illegal aliens in the United States was significantly smaller than it is today. Illegal workers artificially depress compensation because they are the only ones who will do the work at such low wages. In actual fact, illegal immigration distorts the law of supply and demand in a capitalistic society. It is grossly hypocritical to want to raise the minimum wage on one hand while the other hand winks at illegal aliens working at far below prevailing wages.

Additionally, illegal workers are not just picking lettuce and digging ditches any more. It wasn't that long ago that being a dry-waller, brick-layer, house framer, painter, roofer, carpet layer, plumber, or electrician was a decently compensated, middle class trade. Now it is increasingly becoming the work for illegal aliens at far less than the free market rate. While illegal alien workers are only a small portion of many of those job categories, their willingness to work at dramatically lower rates artificially drags down the compensation for all workers.

These "weak-minded arguments" I've just made are backed by credible resources available with a simple Google search. Not however, that I believe you'd actually look at any truth other than the one you've decided for yourself, regardless of the actual statistical information available.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Ouch x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration