Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
That's right. Here is my post.
Which indicates nothing of free healthcare. That's exactly my point. The reason why they contacted a reporter was to raise funds. Exposure for the situation to gain more money to pay...

Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Which indicates nothing of free healthcare. That's exactly my point. The reason why they contacted a reporter was to raise funds. Exposure for the situation to gain more money to pay...
And if he doesn't raise enough money selling tamales and collecting donations, what then? Please see post #30 on the 'Atlanta Hospital's Plan to Shut Clinic Sparks Suit by Illegal Aliens' thread. The Mexican woman who came here to have her quintuplets in the US because 'everything was so nice and new' never paid her bill. Loyola wrote the whole thing off.
If padre is working a minimum wage job, they simply are not going to be able to pay off an $18,000 hospital bill no matter how many tamles they sell. They don't have a problem, the hospital does. Furthermore, this $18,000 is by no means a final tally. What if he needs a bone marrow transplant? Do you have any idea how much a procedure like that costs?
He can receive the appropriate care in Mexico. The Mexican healthcare system is set up to provide for cases like his, there simply is no reason for him to stay here and be treated in the US.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elansingghost View Post
That link is for "World Net Daily", not the LA Times.
The quote is straight from the article. They are not my words.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Really? Not according to a 2006 USToday report

"Illegal immigrants are concentrated in construction, agriculture and cleaning jobs. They make up 36% of all insulation workers, 29% of agricultural workers and 29% of roofers."

USATODAY.com - Illegal immigrants expanding footprint
Hmm. Let's see: my link is from 2009 and yours is from 2006. True, just a few years ago there might have been that 29% illegal labor force in agriculture, but most of those illegals have moved on to other less back breaking jobs. From what I understand most agricultural workers are working here legally with work visas. So, I think today's 2% is closer than that 29% in 2006.
(I tend to look for up-to-date articles on things I research.)

BUT...even at 29%, that leaves 71% who aren't working the fields. That 29% is still NOT a majority.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 PM

95 posts, read 130,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
The quote is straight from the article. They are not my words.
True, the quote is from the article; but the link is still to a commentary from "World Net Daily".

And there's no link to the LA times in that article either.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Hmm. Let's see: my link is from 2009 and yours is from 2006. True, just a few years ago there might have been that 29% illegal labor force in agriculture, but most of those illegals have moved on to other less back breaking jobs. From what I understand most agricultural workers are working here legally with work visas. So, I think today's 2% is closer than that 29% in 2006.
(I tend to look for up-to-date articles on things I research.)

BUT...even at 29%, that leaves 71% who aren't working the fields. That 29% is still NOT a majority.

You know what...I realized something. I'm wrong and you are right. Concerning agriculture, they comprise 29% of all agriculture workers...meaning 3.4% nationally according to Pew. With that though a study cited that a large percentage was not engaged in consistent employment. Much employment is informal. According to a 2001 study in Los Angeles, the informal sector comprised a "range from 9% to 29% of total employment; the median estimate was at 15%" (Light, Deflecting Immigration 70). In the informal sector, according to Light and his research, a plurality of workers were illegal immigrants from Mexico. Much of this work is on an on day by day basis many times. This would skew the numbers...along with having seasonal workers.

Which kind of reinforces another point, that jobs are not being stolen since illegal immigrants, according to the data Light compiled, were never a majority of those employed in the informal sector. The majority of Americans work in the formal sector, white collar jobs. The largest 'threat' to Americans is outsourcing. Not illegal immigrants, which comprise roughly 3.7% of the population of the US in 2007 (less due to immigration out of the United States) according to CIS.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Let’s face it. Most illegals come here to work. And they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling. We have whole industries based on the labor of illegal aliens. Think of all the work illegal aliens do hand-picking vegetables and fruit in central CA, as gardeners in the big cities, and as construction laborers throughout the state. Sure, illegals don’t pay much in taxes. But I am sick and tire of hearing people complain about them as though they were freeloaders. These people work HARD and serve many useful purposes in our society. We would be much worse off without illegal aliens. MUCH worse off.
More than half of illegals are visa overstayers. We don't want them here, either.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling.
They never had a hard time filling them, before the flood.

They came, were given jobs at ½ to ¼ of what the greedy employers were paying, there American workers.
The greedy employers could have them working longer than 8 hour days and more than 40 hours a week and not have to pay more compensation, like they would their American workers.
The greedy employers, did not need all the office staff to compute and pay for the records and tax payments.
The greedy employers, did not need all the costly insurance.
The greedy employers, did not need to pay the unemployment commission.

So, the reason they have a hard time filling those jobs now, is because they are looking for someone willing to be paid the ½ to a ¼ of what a living wage is, and is willing to work long hours for 7 days a week, and no extra compensation. Someone that that they don't have to pay insurance, unemployment, or their taxes. You have the uneducated misclassified employee, labeled "subcontractor" to cheat the system.

The employers, and cities that harbor illegals have brought it upon themselves.

You may see businesses close down that cater to the illegal element, but the ones running legally will survive just fine and set the example the those that wish to venture into that field in the future.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Well just calling a horse a horse...Also, highly extensive surgery is not for free...Also you should know that Sharp is a RATHER large hospital. So you know, you may not "give a dam" but I think he would know more than you...
Clearly, your objective is to insult and inflame, not to intelligently debate issues on this forum. Both Andreabeth and I have posted information and links to soundly refute your erroneous claim that illegal aliens do not receive ‘free’ cancer treatment. Despite receiving this information, you continue to hurl insults, rather than apologizing for calling me a liar.

A person incapable of admitting a mistake lacks character and/or maturity. Perhaps when you grow up you will learn to simply state, “I stand corrected.”

Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
California needs its illegals. Without them, where would we be?...
Rejoining America instead of rushing headlong into third world status!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration