Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
When he says the largest minority is flourishing that means that it's growing as well.

Hispanics have the highest teen birthrate in the country.
Hispanics have the highest highschool dropout rate in the country.
Hispanics are incarcerated at a rate nearly four times greater than whites and Hispanic males are the fastest growing segment of the U.S. prison population.

If stating facts is racist then most threads on this forum are in fact racist.
Having said that, I'm curious to know how growth of a minority group with this track record will make our nation thrive. Anyone? Bueller?
Menendez is probbaly talking about Mexicans, not so much Argentines or people from Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Menendez is probbaly talking about Mexicans, not so much Argentines or people from Spain.

Quote:
In "Growing American Roots: Why Our Nation Will Thrive as Our Largest Minority Flourishes," U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez calls for better health care, immigration reform and an end of discrimination against Hispanics.

I see he is talking about Hispanics. Mexicans fall into that demographic. Try again Eric......

Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I see he is talking about Hispanics. Mexicans fall into that demographic. Try again Eric......
I USED to buy into the La Raza BS: unless your were a Chicano, you didnt count. Spanish people aint Chicano. Never mind Im mostly Spanish and look it or Italian.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
I USED to buy into the La Raza BS: unless your were a Chicano, you didnt count. Spanish people aint Chicano. Never mind Im mostly Spanish and look it or Italian.

So how did your "people from Spain" comment fit into this debate?

FAIL

Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
So how did your "people from Spain" comment fit into this debate?

FAIL
Spanish people are usually white as well as being Hispanic. Menendez wouldn't be saying racsism unless most Hispanics looked diferent, like having brown skin.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,345 times
Quote:
When he says the largest minority is flourishing that means that it's growing as well.

Hispanics have the highest teen birthrate in the country.
Hispanics have the highest highschool dropout rate in the country.
Hispanics are incarcerated at a rate nearly four times greater than whites and Hispanic males are the fastest growing segment of the U.S. prison population.

If stating facts is racist then most threads on this forum are in fact racist.
Having said that, I'm curious to know how growth of a minority group with this track record will make our nation thrive. Anyone? Bueller?
Where did you get these "Facts"? You want all Hispanics kicked out or just the illegal ones?

Quote:
Black women have the highest teen pregnancy rate (134 per 1,000 women ages 15–19), followed by Hispanics (131 per 1,000) and non-Hispanic whites (48 per 1,000).
The pregnancy rate among black teens decreased 40% between 1990 and 2000 compared to an overall national decline in teen pregnancy rate of 36%.
The highest incarcerations by race are Blacks followed by Latinos:

Quote:
Out of a total population of 1,976,019 incarcerated in adult facilities, 1,239,946 or 63 percent are black or Latino, though these two groups constitute only 25 percent of the national population.4 The figures also demonstrate significant differences among the states in the extent of racial disparities.
Quote:
The rate for white men was 773 per 100,000, for black men 4,618 per 100,000, for Hispanic men 1,747 per 100,000. The rate for white women was 95 per 100,000, for black women 348 per 100,000, and for Hispanic women 146 per 100,000.
Native Americans are the second highest dropouts behind Hispanics. To where can we deport them?

Illegals are the preferred victims of crime. They can't report it. Most try to stay out of trouble so they won't be deported.

The Latinos/Hispanics who are in prisons and having babies and dropping out of school are mostly U.S. citizens, not illegals.

The justice system proves only one thing, if you are poor, you will be convicted.

Maybe it's time that the U.S. started spending money to prevent problems instead of spending it later to clean them up. I have noticed that the people who complain the most about babies being born are anti-choice. Maybe if abortion was more easily available to teenagers, you wouldn't need to worry about paying to rear those babies and the girls could finish school.

Quote:
When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it? Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,345 times
Quote:
Spanish people are usually white as well as being Hispanic. Menendez wouldn't be saying racsism unless most Hispanics looked diferent, like having brown skin.
I guess you haven't been to Mexico? There are many fair skinned, blond and red haired Mexicans. If you have traveled Mexico you would know that many Europeans settled in Mexico. There are over 100 languages spoken in Mexico.

The "Mexicans" you are describing are mostly Native Americans, i.e., Indian bloodlines.

Someone who is Mohawk Indian from Canada told me once that as a "Native of North America" he didn't need a Green Card to work in the U.S. Maybe the Indian Mexicans should claim their Indian heritage and then they could enter the U.S. legally as Natives, Citizens of North America. Would that make you happy if they weren't illegal?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 AM

320 posts, read 290,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Mendendez just like nearlly all Hispanic politicians are ethnocentric traitors to our country. What discrimination is there against Hispanics per se? Is it discrimanatory to object to Hispanic illegals or any other illegals for that matter? No one has a problem with Hispanic citizens who are not ethnocentric, are law abiding and aren't aiders and abettors of illegal aliens.

Dobbs does not spread false information. He did get some bad information ONCE about leprosy increasing in our country but that is it and he apologized for it. What ethnocentric Hispanics don't like is the segment of his show where he speaks about illegal immigration in a negative way. Well, what is positive about defying our immigration laws?
I'd say there's been discrimination against Latinos. The fact that the only time they're brought up on news is reports about illegal immigration. Every time we see them in movies they have heavy accents. I tell you what if I was a Latino I'd be pretty upset about how they're portrayed today. Every Latino I know is Americanized. But the only picture we get of them are the immigrant and illegal immigrant aspect. And it sort of fuels people's hatred of them.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
I'd say there's been discrimination against Latinos. The fact that the only time they're brought up on news is reports about illegal immigration. Every time we see them in movies they have heavy accents. I tell you what if I was a Latino I'd be pretty upset about how they're portrayed today. Every Latino I know is Americanized. But the only picture we get of them are the immigrant and illegal immigrant aspect. And it sort of fuels people's hatred of them.
When Hispanics account for over 3/4 of our illegal immigration problem then hispanics cannot decry discrimination when people point this out. Menendez is an illustration of the problem. He's supposed to be the senator from New Jersey not the senator from Latin America. I wouldn't vote for him because of his identity politics and ludricrous sense of whiny grievance and I'm a lifelong Dem.

Americans have actually been remarkably generous towards the Latino community. Roughly one in ten Mexicans has been granted legal American citizenship, a number that far outstrips what we have given to other minorities. Americans pay by the millions to fund ESL classes, pay for the medical needs of low skilled Hispanic migrants and mostly tend to look the other way as millions of Latinos simply ignore our border as well as laws on housing, education, employment and driving.

To walk away from all of that and simply decry Americans as racists sounds just a bit ungrateful. That attitude -- that Americans owe people money from our tax dollars merely because they belong to a certain ethnic group -- is the least helpful attitude imaginable.

Of all the things to bring with you to America the chip on your shoulder is the one you'd better leave behind.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 AM

320 posts, read 290,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
When Hispanics account for over 3/4 of our illegal immigration problem then hispanics cannot decry discrimination when people point this out. Menendez is an illustration of the problem. He's supposed to be the senator from New Jersey not the senator from Latin America. I wouldn't vote for him because of his identity politics and ludricrous sense of whiny grievance and I'm a lifelong Dem.

Americans have actually been remarkably generous towards the Latino community. Roughly one in ten Mexicans has been granted legal American citizenship, a number that far outstrips what we have given to other minorities. Americans pay by the millions to fund ESL classes, pay for the medical needs of low skilled Hispanic migrants and mostly tend to look the other way as millions of Latinos simply ignore our border as well as laws on housing, education, employment and driving.

To walk away from all of that and simply decry Americans as racists sounds just a bit ungrateful. That attitude -- that Americans owe people money from our tax dollars merely because they belong to a certain ethnic group -- is the least helpful attitude imaginable.

Of all the things to bring with you to America the chip on your shoulder is the one you'd better leave behind.
I know all that.

I'm saying the Latinos I know are 3rd, 4th, 5th generation Americans. But the only picture we ever get of Latinos from the media are the immigrants and illegals. That's all I'm saying. I can identify with that. I'm Italian and the only time I see other Italians is in some Mafia movie or those idiots on Jersey Shore. It's infuriating and I can understand how AMERICAN-Latinos can feel discriminated against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration