U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times

Advertisements

I have mentioned this many times in this forum. And while I ask a serious question, many respond with the usual, "Illegals are criminals and must be deported."

Deporting is far more costly and even if we did it, we would be so broke, far more than we already are. If we are trying to get out of the economic mess, it would be counter productive to deport 12 million out of the country, plus their children.

I'm attempting to engage in a serious and real topic here. Please think about how to respond to this one.

Please read the article.

Quote:
The public debate over immigration reform, which all too often devolves into emotional rhetoric, could use a healthy dose of economic realism. As Congress and the White House fulfill their recent pledges to craft immigration-reform legislation in the months ahead, they must ask themselves a fundamental question: can we afford any longer to pursue a deportation-only policy that ignores economic reality? At a time when the budgets of federal, state, and local governments contain more red ink than revenue, in the midst of the worst recession since the Great Depression, what can we realistically afford to do with the roughly 12 million unauthorized-immigrant men, women, and children whom the Pew Hispanic Center estimates now live in the United States—plus the four million U.S.-born, U.S.-citizen children who have an unauthorized-immigrant parent?1 Even more to the point in the present economic climate, how can we best tap these millions of unauthorized workers, consumers, and—yes—taxpayers as a force for economic recovery?
If Congress and the White House are asking themselves the serious question, I'm asking that you also do the same.

How do we deport 12 million people at the worse economic crisis since the great depression?

ILW.COM - immigration news: Immigration Reform As Economic Stimulus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I have mentioned this many times in this forum. And while I ask a serious question, many respond with the usual, "Illegals are criminals and must be deported."

Deporting is far more costly and even if we did it, we would be so broke, far more than we already are. If we are trying to get out of the economic mess, it would be counter productive to deport 12 million out of the country, plus their children.

I'm attempting to engage in a serious and real topic here. Please think about how to respond to this one.

Please read the article.

If Congress and the White House are asking themselves the serious question, I'm asking that you also do the same.

How do we deport 12 million people at the worse economic crisis since the great depression?

What makes you think that deporting illegal aliens is a major expense? In what way? They don't pay in enough taxes to cover their social costs. There is a net gain right there. It would free up jobs for Americans out of work at a fairer wage (more taxes gained) and no more sending billions of dollars out of our economy to the illegal's homeland. Net gain right there. Now is the best time to deport them since we are in an economic crisis. Crime would go down. Net gain right there. Our schools and hospitals would become less overcrowded and our healthcare costs would go down. Net gain right there. No more need for documents such as the census to be printed in Spanish as Hispanic citizens speak English for the most part. Net gain right there.

Many if not most would self-deport if e-verify is implemented across the board. They would be fired from their jobs and employers wouldn't be able to hire illegal aliens anymore. Where is the major costs of self-deportation?

Coming to our country without proper papers or allowing one's visa to expire is an infraction of our immigration laws. Using fake I.D. or someone elses SS number to work or any other reason is a felony. Being deported and coming back is a felony. So yes, that part is criminal. Some illegals are criminals in the true sense that they do commit other felonies also. No one is claiming that they all are felons.

We need to return to a nation of laws and only allow in legal immigrants. Rewarding illegal aliens with amnesty is not the way to go. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least 4 times the number of illegal aliens that we had back then. Time to send the message to those already here and those still thinking about coming here illegally that enough is enough and it won't be tolerated anymore.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Please read the article.

Simple:

Employer sanctions laws
Cancel birthright citizenship
Make English our official language

The above three suggestions would cause trigger self deportations off the bat--------especially in this recession.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM

32,807 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Random deportations, job site raids. Ike has already proven they will self deport if made uncomfortable enough. We don't need any new resources just the stomach to enforce our existing laws.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,827,141 times
Yes, start with motivating self deportation. Then get on with the rest who will need some 'help' making the decision.

How can we afford it? That's simple and easy. Subtract the cost of deportation from financial aid we are already sending to their home countries.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 AM

32,807 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yes, start with motivating self deportation. Then get on with the rest who will need some 'help' making the decision.

How can we afford it? That's simple and easy. Subtract the cost of deportation from financial aid we are already sending to their home countries.
That is a great idea!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
Is it possible to arrest every drug dealer? No, but the police still arrest those they catch. The same goes for burglars/arsonists/pedophiles/drunk drivers etc...

There is no economic gain by keeping millions of people who cannot/willnot speak English and who are uneducated/unskilled. Especially since most of them send off most of their money back to their homelands. They are an economic and social drain.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
No, it's not realistic to deport 20 million illegals. But deporting 2 or 3 million would be....(say, those who've arrived in the past 4 or 5 years). It would certainly send a message..(just as, in fact, NOT deporting them ALSO sends a message). It might show that we "mean business", and that we don't regard our laws as a joke. It might cause PROSPECTIVE illegals to 'think twice' (certainly, what we're NOW doing gives them the message that it's 'OK' to illegally cross our border)...

I'll ask a similar question here:..."Is it realistic to have 20 million illegals and NOT do anything about it ?".....Anything we do, we're 'sending a message'. What kind of 'message' does amnesty send? (hint: refer to the Amnesty of 1986..3 million people....did it 'work'? What 'message' did THAT send?)

Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
no point in bailing til you plug up the hole in the boat is there. however resistance is not futile. i am convinced minuteman activity here helped remove footdragging on the fence project. a project so successful it moved illegal immigration out of the state. prior to the fence 80% of all illegal immigration in the united stated of america came thru san ysidro. deportation too will have a big effect on american employers who are laying off american citizens and replacing them with cheap illegal foreign workers.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-06-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
No, it's not realistic to deport 20 million illegals. But deporting 2 or 3 million would be....(say, those who've arrived in the past 4 or 5 years). It would certainly send a message..(just as, in fact, NOT deporting them ALSO sends a message). It might show that we "mean business", and that we don't regard our laws as a joke. It might cause PROSPECTIVE illegals to 'think twice' (certainly, what we're NOW doing gives them the message that it's 'OK' to illegally cross our border)...

I'll ask a similar question here:..."Is it realistic to have 20 million illegals and NOT do anything about it ?".....Anything we do, we're 'sending a message'. What kind of 'message' does amnesty send? (hint: refer to the Amnesty of 1986..3 million people....did it 'work'? What 'message' did THAT send?)
Not realistic since we have maybe 10 million illegals left (quite a few have self deported back home----------if Arizona is any indication) so deporting 20 million is mathematically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration