Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times

Advertisements

As far as I'm concerned he can still check for legal status but in the jails, where he SHOULD be concentrating most of his efforts. Let ICE do the job.

Quote:
PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona sheriff known for aggressively cracking down on illegal immigration is being stripped of some of his power to enforce immigration law.
Feds limit Arizona sheriff's immigration powers - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/national/story/Feds-limit-Arizona-sheriffs-immigration-powers/pNFUL289VU6HHzB3Op7u1w.cspx?rss=802 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Sounds like Joe has finally succeeded in embarrassing some pretty powerful people. I'm surprised it took this long. "Sit down in the boat, Joe!...you're making WAVES !!"....(It will be interesting to see what happens to Arpaio if he doesn't 'get the message')...

As they might say in 'Jersey', "Back off just a little bit, willya Joe?....Hey...not to worry!...This time we're askin' 'NICE'...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Sounds like corruption at a higher level putting the squeeze, after some big pay offs.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds like Joe has finally succeeded in embarrassing some pretty powerful people. I'm surprised it took this long. "Sit down in the boat, Joe!...you're making WAVES !!"....(It will be interesting to see what happens to Arpaio if he doesn't 'get the message')...

As they might say in 'Jersey', "Back off just a little bit, willya Joe?....Hey...not to worry!...This time we're askin' 'NICE'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like corruption at a higher level putting the squeeze, after some big pay offs.
Of course, you are both correct. Let’s hope Joe doesn’t ‘accidentally’ shoot himself in the back of the head, or slip off of a 16th floor balcony, like some of the Clinton irritants.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
I am sure that HS has caved in to La Raza and like minded groups on this one. They have been screaming bloody murder since Sheriff Joe has netted so many illegal aliens.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Good post!
Law Enforcement need to know their role and do the jobs they are paid to do. Not what gets them the most camera face time. No matter what the fanboys say. It's about boundaries, and not just the ones separating us from other countries.
Tell that to a Federale if caught illegally in Mexico---------it would not surprise me to see you (generic sense) be beaten............or worse.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Good post!
Law Enforcement need to know their role and do the jobs they are paid to do. Not what gets them the most camera face time. No matter what the fanboys say. It's about boundaries, and not just the ones separating us from other countries.
We have a boundary to the South but 20 million Illegal Peasants refuse to recognize it. So much for the boundary concept.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Good job.
You are welcome.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
“I’m going to tell you something, Jay…I don’t need the feds to do my crime suppression to opt to arrest illegals. I can do it without the federal authority, and I’m going to continue to do it. It makes no difference. It helps us. Because I don’t have to do all the paperwork for the feds, number one. And number two, I won’t be under their umbrella, their guidance. So I will operate the same way, nothing is going to change.

Nothing changes…because pursuant to our duties in these crime suppression [sweeps] we arrest anybody that violates the law. If we find during the arrests that that there are illegals, we arrest them. Now the only difference [is] we’re going to take ‘em down to ICE. I hope they accept them, if they don’t, I’ll bring ‘em myself to the border. So nothing really has changed. This is all politics. They want to use me to get rid of this 287 agreement across the country.”

Wonk Room » ‘Hispanic-Hunting’ Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Says He Will Deport Immigrants Himself If Feds Refuse

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Yeah, that had to be it.
Make jokes if you insist...(I do, on occasion)...but in all seriousness, I'm not sure Zacatecana's position (check for status among jail inmates) would be much more popular than mine, if it really 'came right down to it'. Some years ago, the Anaheim City Jail (Calif) had an INS (predecessor of ICE) agent assigned full time to its jail...apparently, because there was that much 'caseload' among the inmates there. Good idea? Apparently some folks didn't think so. The INS and the City were under a constant barrage of complaints and lawsuits from groups who found that an INS agent in the Jail was "intimidating", sent a "chilling message", and was "viewed negatively by the community". That position was finally removed, at the insistence of certain 'members of the community'.

The "community"? WHAT community? The prisoners? Maybe...but I think it was the community 'outside', as well. I'm going to take Zacatecana at her word (I find her a pretty level-headed poster), but I assure you, not everyone in "the community" would be any happier with HER position..or mine..than they would with Joe Arapaio's. They don't want anyone checking status IN the jail..or OUTSIDE the jail..or at ALL. If an illegal insisted on 'turning himself in', I suppose they MIGHT be OK with that..but then again, maybe not. Otherwise, lots of people want NO checking of status, anywhere, at any time, ever...and anyone who isn't aware of this fact is being naive.

Still, it's an easy thing to suggest...and we'll never really know, will we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration