Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:50 AM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
So since they're not from well off backgrounds like yourself, they should be glad to be imprisoned?
The comment is so genius, it makes my head hurt.
good

Yet not one claim against the Governments of the Countries they are leaving. It's always the Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
When US citizens break the law, they are taken to jail. Their kids often end up in homes, shelters etc. Neither situation is great for the kids; to avoid it, these "law-abiding" people should simply follow the law. Using the children is a red herring to the discussion about illegal immigration.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger View Post
When US citizens break the law, they are taken to jail. Their kids often end up in homes, shelters etc. Neither situation is great for the kids; to avoid it, these "law-abiding" people should simply follow the law. Using the children is a red herring to the discussion about illegal immigration.
Of course it is and to place these Illegal Aliens above homeless Americans is wrong on so many levels. To think that some Illegal living on a dirt floor in the border area of Mexico a week ago is being abused by being put in a tent with a cot is ridiculous.

Instead they want to roll out 3 star hotels to house them until they decide what to do with them.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Several of the cases shown involve women fleeing domestic situations. This was a bad personal choice on the woman's part - hooking up with some Neanderthal and having 3,4,5,6 children by him. Why does someone making a bad personal choice qualify them for refugee status? If they can travel thousands of miles to cross the US border, why could they not relocate to another city within their own country? (The don't know anyone in another city? Guess what, they don't have anyone here either!)
And - as long as the USA opens itself to be the flophouse of the world, and the domestic abuse shelter for all the verbally or physically or financially abused women of the world, then no other country has to build shelters or find solutions.

There is no way these women with the 5 or 6 children and another one on the way can support those children in this country which is the real reason they come. The woman from El Salvador must have passed through Guatemala and Mexico, countries that speak a language she understands and child care would be more affordable -- so why didn't she stay in one of them? The cost of living, the cost of day care in the USA is far too high for these people to make it here, so it's pretty obvious they're coming for the welfare handouts.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm sure they all left 5 bedroom houses with manicured lawns to come here Illegally. How dare they treat them this way when thay all came from such cozy environments. Da&n the US of A, it's all our fault.
I'm sure they did not leave cozy environments but it is in no way reason to place the children in prisons. I am not saying we should no deport the family. However, if they are seeking asylum and there is good reason for our government to think that they are good candidates, why not? After all we do have laws for asylum seekers. A prison is no place for a child. As I said before, there are more effective and low cost alternatives than to house them in prisons.

For one, if they already have family here in the US, the ankle bracelet would be a cheap way to keep track of them until they have their court hearings and we would not have to pay for their housing.

I read another poster here who mentioned quick and swift deportation. Well, if they are here seeking asylum, they need to be here until they do have a court hearing. Why wouldn't it be a good reason to do a quick process? If it is obvious that they are running away from war, a quick hearing would be acceptable, in my opinion but sometimes a long investigation needs to take place in order to find out if that person is a candidate for asylum.

Overall, prisons are not good for children. I dont care that the parents are to blame, we should not have such cruel and unusual punishments. There was a study done in the UK of children that were in prisons awaiting deportation. The study found that children experienced anxiety, depression, confusion and at times suicidal ideation.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Beds/Bucks/Herts | Asylum children health concerns

Are we to blame for placing children in prisons? YES!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM

[quote=malamute;11140366]The assumption in that video by those defending the illegals is that the entire world has the right to simply break any law of the USA and come here for any reason whatsoever and must be given a nice comfortable life here. Like the Spanish speaking woman with all the kids, seeking "asylum" but it's pretty obvious she's after welfare handouts for her many children including brand new baby. [quote]

It is not an assumption. These are not the average illegal immigrants that need to be deported upon arrest. They are asylum seekers. The woman you are discussing was running away from domestic violence. She had a cut on her cheek all the way to the end of her lip.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
[quote=zacatecana;11179695][quote=malamute;11140366]The assumption in that video by those defending the illegals is that the entire world has the right to simply break any law of the USA and come here for any reason whatsoever and must be given a nice comfortable life here. Like the Spanish speaking woman with all the kids, seeking "asylum" but it's pretty obvious she's after welfare handouts for her many children including brand new baby.
Quote:

It is not an assumption. These are not the average illegal immigrants that need to be deported upon arrest. They are asylum seekers. The woman you are discussing was running away from domestic violence. She had a cut on her cheek all the way to the end of her lip.
That is not a valid basis for an asylum claim. If you are an immigrant and the victim of domestic violence, leaving the spouse who sponsored you for a visa can sometimes get you deported but there are exceptions for victims of domestic violence. But it is still not a valid basis for asylum from someone who just crossed the border.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That is not a valid basis for an asylum claim. If you are an immigrant and the victim of domestic violence, leaving the spouse who sponsored you for a visa can sometimes get you deported but there are exceptions for victims of domestic violence. But it is still not a valid basis for asylum from someone who just crossed the border.
I think you do have a point BidDGeek. I dont know that domestic violence is a fair reason to give someone asylum to someone who just crossed the border but we do have laws that protect them regardless. One thing that I am in favor of is giving asylum to women who are here in this country already, have been victims of domestic violence and are in the country illegally. This is common practice already. If they pass the investigation and go through the process, I dont see why we should not grant asylum while at the same time deporting the significant other, if he is here illegally and even those that are here legally. Commiting a violent crime is grounds to take legal residence away. Most of the time, they only grant asylum to those who have serious cases of domestic violence.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Also, refugees do not come here "illegally" in every case. In some cases their claims are processed outside the United States; this was the case with many Somalian and Sudanese refugees, and continues to be the case in Iraq. In other cases they arrive here on a student or tourist visa, then immediately claim asylum at immigration. The visa they came in on, if they have one, was usually genuine (i.e. it is not a forgery), though they did lie about their intentions when applying for it.
That is the way it should be. There is a legitimate process for people requesting asylum at immigration at their point of entry and you do Not need to enter illegally to claim asylum. It seems rather sketchy to have someone say "oh oh asylum...yes asylum" when the INS shows up at their door.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,134,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Many of you are very quick to point fingers and say that illegals need to be in jails. Many of you fail to realize that with them are children. These children do not need to be in jails. They have done nothing wrong. I urge you to look at this video and get educated on the conditions that these children live in the detention ICE centers.

The conditions are embarassing and the irony of all is that most of the parents of these children are here seeking asylum. In order for one to seek asylum, you must be in the country illegally. Then, why would they be then placed in jails? It makes no sense. As explained in the video, there are alternate options that are much cheaper. The dentention center cost per individual can run up to $200.oo, while alternate options can be as low as $14.00.

As someone who has worked at a prison before, I find these images very disturbing. I see no difference between this detention center and one used to house inmates at a maximum security prison.

Watch The Least of These - SnagFilms
How do we know the video isnt fake...answer is we dont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration