Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times

Advertisements

California WAS a great state. I'm a native Californian. I love California. I'd love to move back someday. I even considered Ph.D. studies at UCSD--but guess what? They're broke--no funding for graduate students. They're even cutting current student funding. Neither are the state colleges accepting graduate students this year due to "budgetary constraints."

California is in serious trouble. California's legislature just foisted off on their constituency, the largest tax increase in American history. The average middle income Californian's taxes just went up $1000 per year or more.

- Sales taxes raised by one percentage point

- Additional 5% surcharge on state income taxes.

- Increase in the vehicle-license fee from 0.65% to 1.15%.

- $15 billion reduction in government spending, including $8.6 billion from education in a state whose education system already ranks near the very bottom in student test scores.

All of this will hurt a state that is also experiencing one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. California cut $15 billion in spending and raised taxes in excess of $12 billion, but those measures have done little to stop the surging debt, which is currently at $21 billion and is estimated to grow by $1.7 million an hour. California is considering regulating and taxing marijuana to raise $1 billion, and selling off iconic landmarks like the Los Angeles Coliseum and San Quentin prison to raise funds.

California WAS a great state. Unfortunately, the sky is indeed falling in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think those receiving IOUs instead of tax refunds, and the millions being furloughed, may beg to differ.
Funny you should mention that. My grandson finally DID get his "IOU" validated.....i.e, an actual CHECK arrived in the mail, from the state, for the $6.00 he has been owed since July.

Unfortunately, when I went to the bank a few minutes ago to get his $6, I was told by the teller, "Sorry...'xxxxx' Bank has not YET been cleared by the State of California to allow us to cash their checks here. You may want to check back in a few days".

So we've gone from IOU's to checks....which is fine, unless you attempt to cash them.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
California WAS a great state. I'm a native Californian. I love California. I'd love to move back someday. I even considered Ph.D. studies at UCSD--but guess what? They're broke--no funding for graduate students. They're even cutting current student funding. Neither are the state colleges accepting graduate students this year due to "budgetary constraints."

Yes, there are SIGNIFICANT budget cuts. However, they are accepting graduate students. I know this because I JUST got off the phone with the dean of admissions at Cal State Long Beach for my MHA.

California is in serious trouble. California's legislature just foisted off on their constituency, the largest tax increase in American history. The average middle income Californian's taxes just went up $1000 per year or more.

- $15 billion reduction in government spending, including $8.6 billion from education in a state whose education system already ranks near the very bottom in student test scores.

All of this will hurt a state that is also experiencing one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. California cut $15 billion in spending and raised taxes in excess of $12 billion, but those measures have done little to stop the surging debt, which is currently at $21 billion and is estimated to grow by $1.7 million an hour. California is considering regulating and taxing marijuana to raise $1 billion, and selling off iconic landmarks like the Los Angeles Coliseum and San Quentin prison to raise funds.

All of this is correct. However, these things have nothing to do with, EVEN the slightest bit, concerning illegal immigration (awkward sentence, but whatever...). Or even immigration in general. This has more to do with poor management and greed.

California WAS a great state. Unfortunately, the sky is indeed falling in California.

No, see CA has one of the world's largest economies. Our university system is still near the top of the nation. We consistently rank as the best incubators for tech and science. As a state we need to find ways to provide for the poor (educationally) and not be paranoid. CA is a state with a LONG history of paranoia. We need to stop this trend. We need to use our brains and not our heartstrings...

Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Yes, there are SIGNIFICANT budget cuts. However, they are accepting graduate students. I know this because I JUST got off the phone with the dean of admissions at Cal State Long Beach for my MHA.

All of this is correct. However, these things have nothing to do with, EVEN the slightest bit, concerning illegal immigration (awkward sentence, but whatever...). Or even immigration in general. This has more to do with poor management and greed.

[color=darkred]No, see CA has one of the world's largest economies. Our university system is still near the top of the nation. We consistently rank as the best incubators for tech and science. As a state we need to find ways to provide for the poor (educationally) and not be paranoid. CA is a state with a LONG history of paranoia. We need to stop this trend. We need to use our brains and not our heartstrings...[/COLOR]
Finally, something I can agree with.

Stop funding illegal immigration to the tune of billions per year and imagine what that could add to the exchequer.

One of my best friends was considering UC Berkley for her graduate degree next year only to be told by admissions not to bother to apply. They don't have funding and in fact, have cut graduate funding this year and likely will do the same next year.

Lest you think she doesn't have the goods, she's carrying a 4.0 and has already published in during her undergrad degree--an Anthro department's wet dream.

San Diego State is not accepting graduate students for 2010 (at least in the field of Anthropology)--Due, the website says, to budget cuts.

There may be some schools continuing to operate in the black, but if Arnold and friends have their way, it won't last.

Combine that with some of the highest unemployment in the country (hmmm...high illegal immigrant population, no employment for citizens...) the middle class flight from California, and a record tax increase--even my seventh grader could do the math.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Funny you should mention that. My grandson finally DID get his "IOU" validated.....i.e, an actual CHECK arrived in the mail, from the state, for the $6.00 he has been owed since July.

Unfortunately, when I went to the bank a few minutes ago to get his $6, I was told by the teller, "Sorry...'xxxxx' Bank has not YET been cleared by the State of California to allow us to cash their checks here. You may want to check back in a few days".

So we've gone from IOU's to checks....which is fine, unless you attempt to cash them.
Incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration