Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 PM

53 posts, read 93,126 times

Advertisements

www.amazon.com/Let-Them-Case-Open-Borders/dp/1592403492

Anyone read that book by Jason L. Riley?

What do you guys think about open borders?

The positives: free trade, free flow of human capital, and more labor

The negatives: possible entry of drug dealers and convicted criminals and possible terrorists

Your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
Better yet lets buy them all houses and a brand new car!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post

The negatives: possible entry of drug dealers and convicted criminals and possible terrorists

Your views?
Here's my view...I think open borders would be a great idea...and I think it should be put into practice, just as soon as banks have "open vaults"....and colleges hand out "free" diplomas.....and supermarkets give out "free merchandise" each Friday...when the police urge motorists to "always leave your keys in your car"....and the US Government removes the fence around the White House....and all taxes are paid on an "if I feel like it" basis.

After all THAT is done, as far as I'm concerned, we can open those borders. What harm can it do, anyway?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:

Your views?
That's enough for me to oppose open borders. I wonder if Mr. Riley locks the door to his house?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's enough for me to oppose open borders. I wonder if Mr. Riley locks the door to his house?
If he does not, the positives might include the fact that he could get inside faster, and guests wouldn't have to knock...

The negatives might be he might have his house stripped of all its contents 20 minutes after he left for work....and his insurance provider would refuse to cover the loss.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Your views?

In the negatives, you left out the trickle down of poverty. Only the impoverished want to cross the borders illegally. California, is seeing the trickle down of poverty, right now.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
A decade ago, Nobel prize-winning economist Milton Friedman admonished the Wall Street Journal for its idée fixe on open-border immigration policy. “It’s just obvious you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state,” he warned.
Look to Milton by Robert Rector on National Review Online

Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
Quote:

Your views?
The word "FREE" always seems to come with some sort of a cost. So I must ask....what is free (and beneficial to the U.S.A. ) about " free trade" ?
And, just what is the " free flow of human capital" ?

Lastly, MORE LABOR, as I see it anyway, means more jobs....I think the current unemployment stats prove that we do not have MORE LABOR, just a larger sector of unemployed citizens augmented by a seemingly unending supply of illegals willing to work for slave wages,thereby perpetuating a problem our " leaders" use to obtain re-election.

Your thoughts ?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:

Your views?
Very bad idea-----------the USA or for that matter any other (relatively) affluent nation would be overrun by a bunch of uncivilized Third Worlders.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
The other problem with open borders with a country like Mexico: Since there is a pay difference between the USA and Mexico, one that's fairly significant, a vast majority of the people will leave Mexico for nothing more than the money, the promise of a more materialistic life and they will not stick around to work for a better future for their people at home.

Also we have a very generous cradle to grave welfare system where people live like kings and queens compared to those who work for a living back in Mexico. It's absurd to have open borders when you have a welfare system like ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration