Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times

Advertisements

Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Imho ---- have you ever heard the saying 'give them an inch, they take a mile'? A sign here, a form there and suddenly we have a candidate for potus explaining the necessity to learn spanish.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Imho ---- have you ever heard the saying 'give them an inch, they take a mile'? A sign here, a form there and suddenly we have a candidate for potus explaining the necessity to learn spanish.
I wonder if he knows Spanish?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?
And what crushes that variety of insolent Spanish speaker is chattering away in for of him/her in a third language--------like German.

That pisses 'em of and tend to make said person feel about 2" tall.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:

WHY?
They were discussing something that was not for your ears...I talk Spanish to my wife when I do not want the kids to know what we are discussing. Like what we are buying them for Christmas...

Ever go into a Chinese place for your nails? Well...all the chatter that you do not understand is about you... J/k...

But seriously, many people talk to each other in their native languages. I hear Arabic, Chinese, etc all the time. I hear Italian spoken all the time at a local pizza joint...usually the owner giving instructions to his employees/family...

And FYI many French in France are going to know Spanish because most Euros know many languages...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
It is frowned upon in the workplace. I have noticed that the more you hear it the more likely it is coming from a minimum wage job owner. That is the part that I don't get, speaking a foreign language but not fluent English is not going to help them obtain a decent paying job. Whatever.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
They were discussing something that was not for your ears...I talk Spanish to my wife when I do not want the kids to know what we are discussing. Like what we are buying them for Christmas...

Ever go into a Chinese place for your nails? Well...all the chatter that you do not understand is about you... J/k...

But seriously, many people talk to each other in their native languages. I hear Arabic, Chinese, etc all the time. I hear Italian spoken all the time at a local pizza joint...usually the owner giving instructions to his employees/family...

And FYI many French in France are going to know Spanish because most Euros know many languages...

Well its very rude when they are talking to us (English speaking), then turn to each other and speak Spanish.

No I dont go get my nails done, so I wouldnt know about that.

This ain't Europe!!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:

WHY?
If they speak English, whats the problem?
They have every right to speak Pig Latin if they want.
If you feel left out, maybe you should learn Spanish.

Why do you care anyways? They werent talking to you in Spanish. People shouldn't be eavesdropping anyways.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
If they speak English, whats the problem?
They have every right to speak Pig Latin if they want.
If you feel left out, maybe you should learn Spanish.

Why do you care anyways? They werent talking to you in Spanish. People shouldn't be eavesdropping anyways.

That's why English needs to be the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of this country. And no I don't feel left out, I just feel its very rude. I guess you failed to see my point that alot of people share with me. If they want to speak Spanish they can, in MEXICO!

When a group of people are sitting at a table with you and having a conversation with you and then they turn to each other and speak some foreign jibberish, its not "eavesdropping", ITS BEING RUDE......What part of that do you not understand? Or are you one of those that speak English and then turn to your friend and speak Spanish??? I think I already know my answer, thank you!!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
Quote:
One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American
She may be a citizen, but not an American in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration