U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 PM

4,757 posts, read 7,549,839 times

Advertisements

Somehow this has been kept under the radar. When I first heard about it on the radio, I thought, or rather HOPED I had heard wrong. But I saw an article in the newspaper yesterday, buried towards the back, from out of Mexico City, and it is true and scheluded to start SOON. I don't think too many people are aware of it and I wish I had a link to post but this sums it up:

A pilot program is all set to begin that will allow Mexican trucks carrying manufactured goods from Mexico to come and go across the Mexican border and TRAVEL FREELY across our country in order to distribute their freight ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES! Previously, they had only been allowed to come as far as the border, where American truckers then transferred the goods onto their own trucks for distribution. The American truckers have been fighting this and have LOST (apparently the right amount of money has changed hands somewhere between the greedy CEO's who moved their American manufacturing plants over to Mexico in the first place for cheap labor, and the right politicians). First these companies outsource our jobs to Mexico, now they want the same cheap labor to distribute the goods over here, so they don't have to pay American truckers!? Is nothing sacred? And how does this effect our "homeland security"? From what I saw living in the Charlotte N.C. area with so many increases in auto fatalities caused by illegal aliens drinking and driving, how many of these "truckers" will think it's o.k. to get behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler after boozing it up all day and then get out onto our freeways? I shudder to think about it.

I am horrified at this and I think the only reason it has gotten through is that they have somehow have kept it hushed up and not enough people have been aware that it was even being negotiated. It has been said that the trucking industry was one of the last good-paying blue-collar jobs they couldn't outsource. Guess someone found a way around that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,008,811 times
This hurts our trucking industry. But corporations will love it. Cheaper transportation costs and all. My concerns are whether the trucks will be inspected properly, and the terrorist aspect. A loaded 18 wheeler is a weapon. One was driven into the California state capital a number of years ago. Will the Mexican drivers be given a background check? And who is going to do it? In addition, most of the loads, well over 90%, will come up without an inspection. Who knows how many will be loaded with illegal aliens, drugs, or worse.

But heck, it's more cheap labor for Bush and another giant leap towards the North American Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration