U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times

Advertisements

When you hear of illegal immigrants working with fradulent documents, most people think the illegal immigrant stole the ID and social security card from someone else.

What about those that were stolen by the employer themselves? I have heard from illegal immigrants say that when they show up asking for work, the employer will ask if they have legal documents. When they are honest about the fact that they are not legal in the country, the employer then sugests that the illegal immigrant "buy one". Sometimes, they will even say, "come to work tomorrow and I will have the documents ready for you." What do you think of this? What punishment should be given and to whom?

Quote:
A former kosher slaughterhouse supervisor has testified the plant scrambled to get workers new identification documents the night before a massive immigration raid.

Former Agriprocessor's supervisor Carlos Guerrero-Espinoza says managers provided new permanent resident cards to 20 employees and had them fill out new applications the night before the May 2008 raid at the Iowa plant in which nearly 400 workers were arrested. Guerrero-Espinoza says the cards were fraudulent and manufactured in Minneapolis a week before the raid.
Supervisor: Plant workers given immigration cards - KWWL.com - News & Weather for Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids & Iowa City, Iowa |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 AM

163 posts, read 203,036 times
Of course those employers should be prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law, not only with hiring illegals but with felony ID/document theft and they should get significant jail time, large fines and lose their business license.

But the fact remains that the illegals were wrong too...you'll never convince me that they didn't know that was against the law.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
No, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that the illegal immigrants were unaware.

Here is the thing though...the employer is wrong, the employee is wrong...How about the government for withdrawing taxes from an invalid social security number?

If all parties are wrong for ID theft, I dont see why we are only holding one party accountable for the crime commited.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
There is this thing called E-verify that Pro-Illegals keep managing to keep from being used widespread. Why is that?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM

60,081 posts, read 30,599,526 times
I have said all along, if you nail the greedy exploiting employers, with mandatory-no probation jail time, seizure of all assets both business and personal, along with big fines on top of assets seized and rewards for information, on those using illegal labor. We would not have illegals here in America, period!!!

Who would risk it? Would you? I know I would not even think about it.

I cannot blame the illegals for coming here, on promises of work and a better life.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
Of course those employers should be prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law, not only with hiring illegals but with felony ID/document theft and they should get significant jail time, large fines and lose their business license.

But the fact remains that the illegals were wrong too...you'll never convince me that they didn't know that was against the law.
Exactly! These greedy employers need to be fined, jailed and even lose their businesses if they become repeat offenders. The illegals are equally guilty as they knew when they crossed our border that they had already broken our immigration laws. One strike against them and then two when they work under fake I.D. For that they should be deported. There are two guilty parties here. Actually three considering that our government failed to secure our borders.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,443,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Exactly! These greedy employers need to be fined, jailed and even lose their businesses if they become repeat offenders. The illegals are equally guilty as they knew when they crossed our border that they had already broken our immigration laws. One strike against them and then two when they work under fake I.D. For that they should be deported. There are two guilty parties here. Actually three considering that our government failed to secure our borders.
All we need is a worker permit program like they have in Canada. In Canada anyone who hires an alien illegal one or not HAD BETTER BE SURE that the alien has a worker permit. If they hire them anyway they will be arrested.fined and out of business, WE NEED IT HERE..IT WORKS.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM

60,081 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
All we need is a worker permit program like they have in Canada. In Canada anyone who hires an alien illegal one or not HAD BETTER BE SURE that the alien has a worker permit. If they hire them anyway they will be arrested.fined and out of business, WE NEED IT HERE..IT WORKS.

We have that here. The deal is, it is NEVER enforced!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
When you hear of illegal immigrants working with fradulent documents, most people think the illegal immigrant stole the ID and social security card from someone else.

What about those that were stolen by the employer themselves? I have heard from illegal immigrants say that when they show up asking for work, the employer will ask if they have legal documents. When they are honest about the fact that they are not legal in the country, the employer then sugests that the illegal immigrant "buy one". Sometimes, they will even say, "come to work tomorrow and I will have the documents ready for you." What do you think of this? What punishment should be given and to whom?

Supervisor: Plant workers given immigration cards - KWWL.com - News & Weather for Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids & Iowa City, Iowa |
Punish both. The illegals know full well those identification papers are not their own. They know they're committing fraud -- but so does the crooked employer.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Punish both. The illegals know full well those identification papers are not their own. They know they're committing fraud -- but so does the crooked employer.
Exactly. As for the gov with holding ss taxes? Consider that part of the penalty for using fraudulent documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or