U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,263,033 times
Reputation: 4186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Didn't you all know that all IQ, SAT and civil service tests are racist and their only function is to help white people look smarter than everyone else?
If that is so,care to explain as to why Asians score higher than do non Hispanic whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
If that is so,care to explain as to why Asians score higher than do non Hispanic whites?
tinman01 was being sarcastic; not only is he extremely anti illegal immigration----------his wife is Asian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,263,033 times
Reputation: 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
tinman01 was being sarcastic; not only is he extremely anti illegal immigration----------his wife is Asian
Missed it.Got it now.Paged back and looked at his earlier posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,192 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every day I see the ESL non-learners get culled from the herd to take up the majority of the Teachers hour. NCLB is a farce! The rest of the kids get to suffer while the handful of kids who can't even speak the language garner all the time.
As I understand it... ESL classes are exclusive to English-learners for that very same reason of taking up the teachers time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,729,208 times
Reputation: 693
Ruben Navarrette Jr.

Teach your children that education is indispensable. While many Hispanic immigrants value education for their children, they don't always value it for themselves. So the children rarely learn by example

For immigrants, a lecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jEM...eature=related

Last edited by High Springs Gator; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,546,848 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly; using other minorities as a guide (of any actual race/ethnicity)...........what may be hurting Mexicans may be because we tend to get the bottom feeders here illegally from Mexico who would be failures back home for a multitude of cultural reasons. Their closest analogs would be ghetto Blacks and PW Trash White people---------none of which have a real desire for self improvement i.e. belief in education, sobriety, frugality, Rule of Law, etc.

Exactly. There are many Latinos who come here and do remarkably well as soon as they arrive. They are relatively a minority, however. Just as many of the South Asians who come here are not necessarily a representative of the whole. No matter what some say, this country is easy to at least be middle class in. These Latinos will still face discrimination and racism, but they will be quite successful nonetheless. These Latinos are the ones who put their best foot forward in America, and have the most to contribute to American society.

However, most illegal immigrants and their kin are the kind who would not do well anywhere they go, because they bring lower class mentalities with them. I'll call it "the two generation test", if within two generations the family (including the immigrant parents) all have some semblance of English and the children are doing well on their test scores, are well assimilated and later on attend college and pursue a degree that makes good money, they will do fine. They may get frustrated by discrimination, but they will find their own way. However, if they arrive here and after say 10 years, they still do not know any English, are STILL on food stamps/welfare and the teenage daughter already has a child. Well, my friends, those are destined to be on the bottom forever. You simply cant turn coal into gold. However, the American government actively discriminates (red tape, high filing fees for immigrant visas, etc) the former Latino immigrants because they are far likely to be middle class in their countries of origin. Middle class people, no matter what their country of origin, seem to have a tacit understanding that society requires mass cooperation and mass understanding of the rule of law. So, if these middle class Latin immigrants can't afford to come here legally, they simply won't come. The American goverment, however, actively recruits the under class segments of Latin America, who come here illegally, and then wonder why these people aren't popping out Harvard grads. It must be blind optimism or intentional disingenuity that drives this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Exactly. There are many Latinos who come here and do remarkably well as soon as they arrive. They are relatively a minority, however. Just as many of the South Asians who come here are not necessarily a representative of the whole. No matter what some say, this country is easy to at least be middle class in. These Latinos will still face discrimination and racism, but they will be quite successful nonetheless. These Latinos are the ones who put their best foot forward in America, and have the most to contribute to American society.

However, most illegal immigrants and their kin are the kind who would not do well anywhere they go, because they bring lower class mentalities with them. I'll call it "the two generation test", if within two generations the family (including the immigrant parents) all have some semblance of English and the children are doing well on their test scores, are well assimilated and later on attend college and pursue a degree that makes good money, they will do fine. They may get frustrated by discrimination, but they will find their own way. However, if they arrive here and after say 10 years, they still do not know any English, are STILL on food stamps/welfare and the teenage daughter already has a child. Well, my friends, those are destined to be on the bottom forever. You simply cant turn coal into gold. However, the American government actively discriminates (red tape, high filing fees for immigrant visas, etc) the former Latino immigrants because they are far likely to be middle class in their countries of origin. Middle class people, no matter what their country of origin, seem to have a tacit understanding that society requires mass cooperation and mass understanding of the rule of law. So, if these middle class Latin immigrants can't afford to come here legally, they simply won't come. The American goverment, however, actively recruits the under class segments of Latin America, who come here illegally, and then wonder why these people aren't popping out Havard grads. It must be blind optimism or intentional disingenuity that drives this.
And to run with your ball further: my best friend ca. 1968 back when I lived in the Wash DC area was a Bolivian; his family had solid Middle Class values i.e. belief in education, sobriety, lack of stupid machismo, etc. Manual and his brothers were anything but stupid.

PS: that family was either dark skinned Mestizo or straight up Indian yet 'racism' did not seem to keep them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,134 posts, read 20,762,727 times
Reputation: 8292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Losing Ground by Heather Mac Donald on National Review Online

Is the Third World a matter of geography, or more aptly a genetic disorder?
A forthcoming study? They published their results before they completed the study? I think they may have started with a conclusion and worked backwards.

http://babble.com/CS/blogs/politicalnanny/mittgone.jpg (broken link)

Dad moved here from Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,546,848 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Exactly. There are many Latinos who come here and do remarkably well as soon as they arrive. They are relatively a minority, however. Just as many of the South Asians who come here are not necessarily a representative of the whole.
I wanted to elaborate on this point since I feel this could be misconstrued. What I mean is that they are less in number in comparison with most Latino immigrants, and that most middle class to upper class Latinos are the type to stay in their respective countries, not immigrate to the United States.

And yes, AZbear, there is racism, but I firmly believe that anyone who uses that as a single crutch to say it holds them back academically is someone who wouldn't do well anyways. As evidenced by your example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
A forthcoming study? They published their results before they completed the study? I think they may have started with a conclusion and worked backwards.



Dad moved here from Mexico
And your point being? Mitt Romney was born in the USA to (probably) an American mother which would render moot the fact that George was a Mexican.

PS: George Romney ran for US President back in 1968; had he won----------that would have opened up a lot of constitutional questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top