Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Why do certain cultures not promote an environment conducive to high achievement? Mexico constantly laments over how poor it is relative to the U.S., so why has Mexico simply not changed its environment so that it's more conducive to high achievement, and therefore allow Mexico to match the U.S. and Canada in living standards?
That’s a million dollar question. However, I tend to believe they want to preserve their oligarchy and their underclass – similar to the former slave owners who didn’t want their slaves to be educated. Keep them ignorant and subservient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
there are many factors.
i mentioned english skills only as an example.

it could also be dietary issues.

it could also be access to computers.

it can also be access to books and libraries.

or the safety of a neighborhood.

again its more socio-economic.
and those problems affect all kinds of people in many urban areas. white, black, brown, asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Which only proves that illegals do in fact lower our average National IQ. Which further proves that illegals are in fact a burden.
Race is not the factor. Low income low educated illegals regardless of nation of origin are the problem. This also enforces why we need to set high standards for who we allow to immigrate into our country.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
there are many factors.

and those problems affect all kinds of people in many urban areas. white, black, brown, asian.
Well, that kind of takes us back to square one and it's the type of person coming here illegally in huge numbers. Poor and un-educated. We cannot keep allowing this to continue.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
there are many factors.

Never claimed otherwise. I claimed and your post I responded to supports my claim that illegals do in fact lower the national average IQ. I never called out a race or color. My claim stands. We have limited resourses. We have home grown problems. We as a nation simply can not especially considering our current economy afford to take on more burden.
More to the point. Nor should we be expected to.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
so it would be what most smart, rational people think : SOCIO ECONOMICS...

not genetics or nationality like some ignorant folk think.

i would go further and say that not fully understaning the english language can also affect kids learning.

if the parents speak limited english, the child will have limited english, and well tests in the US are in english. it makes sense.

i dont think its so much being mexican. that presupposes that mexico is absent of intelligence. that is not the case.
Then care to explain why so many Asian kids come here age 12 on down with no one in their family speaking English and by age 18 said kids sound more 'American' than a lot of Chicanos?

My theory is said Asians cannot return to Viet Nam, etc. if they screw up so it is 'balls out' to assimilate.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM

277 posts, read 368,467 times
It's funny how we get statistics including Illegal immigrants as part of the US when they are not. Love how people twist numbers to make a point.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,383 times
Quote:
there are many factors.

It's interesting then how my Scotch-Irish ancestors had poor diets, did not have electronic computers, did not have many books or libraries, and lived in neighborhoods in which one could be attacked by bears, hostile Indians, etc., though they managed to be instrumental in making this country what it is today.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
i think you all have the immigrant ethic all mixed up.

most, and maybe im dating myself, but most of the ones that came in the70's, 80's and 90's taught their kids that education was the only way "not to end up like me". i think its still the same way.
That implies there is no education in Mexico and other countries. There is. The same traits that would let these people be self-reliant and succeed here would let them be self-reliant and succeed back home.

Contrary to popular opinion (put out mostly by the pro-illegal crowd) Mexico has schools, libraries, universities.

In Mexico if people choose to stay in school, obtain their education, a job and some job skills, delay the start of a family and limit family size to what they can afford, they do just fine.

Too many of our immigrants, especially illegals are looking for the quick easy way. They've already got a bunch of children they began having at a very young age, they already dropped out of school at a young age and have no job skills, coming to the USA is not really about improving themselves as nothing stopped them from going to school in Mexico, it's about the streets paved with gold or at least food stamps, the cushy life, the materialism they value that living in the USA will satisfy.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That implies there is no education in Mexico and other countries. There is. The same traits that would let these people be self-reliant and succeed here would let them be self-reliant and succeed back home.

Contrary to popular opinion (put out mostly by the pro-illegal crowd) Mexico has schools, libraries, universities.

In Mexico if people choose to stay in school, obtain their education, a job and some job skills, delay the start of a family and limit family size to what they can afford, they do just fine.

Too many of our immigrants, especially illegals are looking for the quick easy way. They've already got a bunch of children they began having at a very young age, they already dropped out of school at a young age and have no job skills, coming to the USA is not really about improving themselves as nothing stopped them from going to school in Mexico, it's about the streets paved with gold or at least food stamps, the cushy life, the materialism they value that living in the USA will satisfy.
A immigrant who has never spent the first day in school and speaks zero english can still work in a service sector job and make 8 bucks and more an hour. All that is required is a strong work ethic. I dont think free schooling is available all over Mexico, least of all in the rural areas.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
actually thats a myth.

the myth of the "model minority".

asians are like latinos; myriad cultures. and not all do well.

cambodians, filipinos, vietnamese and other asians do not always excel in academics.

every1 thinks asians are very smart, some are, but like any other group it is NOT A MONOLITH and not all become doctors and engineers.

you are generalizing.

by the way, what exactly do chicanos sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then care to explain why so many Asian kids come here age 12 on down with no one in their family speaking English and by age 18 said kids sound more 'American' than a lot of Chicanos?

My theory is said Asians cannot return to Viet Nam, etc. if they screw up so it is 'balls out' to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration