Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Typical nonsense....apples and oranges....(or apples and chickens). "Why pick on the illegals, when we have smokers and fat people ?"....total silliness. It's like saying "don't arrest drunk drivers...we have BURGLARS that need attention"....or "don't spend money on hospitals...we have high-school graduates who can barely read"...

No comparison at all. We "pick on" illegals because they themselves 'pushed' the matter, went out of their way to bring attention to themselves, and 'challenged' the American public to 'accept them', or ELSE.

We've HAD amnesties in the past, and they only caused more frustration, anger, and entitlement among the illegals. The public is FED UP with illegals due to their attitude, AND their overwhelming numbers..about TEN PERCENT of Mexico is now here...that's not a 'minor' issue anymore.

Want to 'spread the blame'?....OK, fine. As a matter of fact, the public IS getting 'fed up' with smokers, too..in case you hadn't noticed. Obesity? That, too carries a great stigma. So far, though, obese people and smokers aren't making a loud display of demanding 'special treatment', or 'challenging' the public to 'accept them or else'....

AND...obese people and smokers aren't breaking any laws by being here. Illegals are. They DEMANDED attention, and now they have it.
Succinct post there.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Using my examples of the Iraqi War costing a 1000 times what illegal immigrants cost or smokers and obese MAY be irrelevant if you are saying "Well two wrongs don't make a right" Ie just because we are wasting money on A doesn't mean we shouldn't waste it on B.

However that's not the real context that I use it. These people who constantly complain about Mexicans -how come they never complain about Obesity? Why haven't they started a thread about cigarette smokers?-after all a buck is a buck.

My assertion is there is a racist and ethnocentric undertone to this. Arabs may be white but they are Arabs and many hate them - muslims.

At least every study shows that illegal Mexicans in the 2nd generation contribute much to our society and economy. Their kids don't want to work for slave wages under poor conditions. If it was just about Money - why don't the haters mention that?

What do the 2nd generation of Smokers or Obese persons contribute? Their health habits are probably negatively impacted by their parents- the opposite of the immigrants

Why not mention the argument that if all illegal immigrants left our economy would be hurt by the immediate need for low skilled labor to harvest crops etc?

Why isn't anyone complaining about the WHITE immigrants from europe etc who overstay their visas?

Anyway for a complete discussion of this please respond to all of these points- they go together.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:42 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I find that the people who are most opposed to the Mexicans are those who never bothered to get an education or skills. The Mexicans are a threat to take their jobs.

How come angry taxpayer isn't ranting about Obesity or Smoking - both of which cost taxpayers approximately $400 million per year in extra health care costs? Its easier to pick on Mexicans.

What about the money wasted on the Iraqi War- read the Bush commission report- we attacked the wrong country, however those who hate Mexicans probably hate Arabs too. Some Arabs are bad, but so are some white folks.

Basically its usually the lowest rung of the social ladder - looking to see who might be below them to pick on.
Click on my profile and list all of my posts. I have voiced my opinion on smoking and obesity in THE PROPER FORUMS.

I've made over 120k a year for over the last 10 years. What that means is I pay a LOT in taxes which I'm tired of going to Illegal Aliens no matter what color they are or what Country they've crawled here from.

I also despise apologists like yourself who try to defend people breaking our laws. The money I pay in taxes is meant for poor AMERICANS. Is it really that hard to figure out?

As far as studies, show me a study that doesn't come from some bogus far-left outlet with ties to La Raza and their ilk. It doesn't exist. Every legit study that we've posted on here lists the costs of Illegal Aliens to taxpayers like me at over 10 billion dollars a year.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
ArizonaBear If the USA takes over Mexico in the future because of the collapse of the their government, we would need a plan to deal with the corruption and lawlessness there or it will spread and infect the USA (we already see signs of it beginning in the number of crimes committed by illegals)
One could argue we already have corruption and lawlessness. Just two names as recent examples. Madoff and Blagojevich. We don't have time to list all the others. Oh wait, but this crime isn't as bad as what they have in Mexico. What was I thinking.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Using my examples of the Iraqi War costing a 1000 times what illegal immigrants cost or smokers and obese MAY be irrelevant if you are saying "Well two wrongs don't make a right" Ie just because we are wasting money on A doesn't mean we shouldn't waste it on B.

However that's not the real context that I use it. These people who constantly complain about Mexicans -how come they never complain about Obesity? Why haven't they started a thread about cigarette smokers?-after all a buck is a buck.

My assertion is there is a racist and ethnocentric undertone to this. Arabs may be white but they are Arabs and many hate them - muslims.

At least every study shows that illegal Mexicans in the 2nd generation contribute much to our society and economy. Their kids don't want to work for slave wages under poor conditions. If it was just about Money - why don't the haters mention that?

What do the 2nd generation of Smokers or Obese persons contribute? Their health habits are probably negatively impacted by their parents- the opposite of the immigrants

Why not mention the argument that if all illegal immigrants left our economy would be hurt by the immediate need for low skilled labor to harvest crops etc?

Why isn't anyone complaining about the WHITE immigrants from europe etc who overstay their visas?

Anyway for a complete discussion of this please respond to all of these points- they go together.
Your the one playing the race card. Everyone of your post is nothing but race baiting.
We're talking about Illegal Immigrants.....your talking about Mexicans. That's considered "race baitng".
Your the one trying to make everything sound racist.

FYI..Smoking is and has been for some time, in the process of illimunation.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

Read my posts-----------I am against illegal immigration period. Be the criminals in question being Mexican, Irish, Chinese or Martian.

As for smokers 'rights': that is a non issue for me since it has been banned almost everywhere here in the USA.

Obesity: the cold reality is that fat people tend to die younger and faster than thinner folks----------the latter may live longer but their medical care is much costlier due to Alzheimer's, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:

You're correct on this point....I've previously stated several times that in my opinion 50% of those opposed to illegal immigration on this forum are in the discussion because they "dislike Mexicans"....and 70% of those in SUPPORT of illegals (like yourself) are in the discussion ONLY because they see it as an issue of 'race'...either they see the illegals as 'their people', or they're guilt-ridden non-Hispanics who see the illegals as 'colorful Third World people', somehow "driven" to break our laws because they "have to".

Less than HALF the people on the forum want to address illegal immigration for what it is..a disrespect for our laws and our borders, at a truly massive level, that's threatening to corrupt our entire concept of what "immigration" is, and will probably have deleterious after-effects that go on for generations to come. It's the beginning of another round of the ethnic hatred which we've been trying so hard to rid our society of......and your post is an example. You'd have NO INTEREST at all in rationalizing illegal immigration, if you didn't see it as an issue involving "Mexicans". In fact, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that if we had 20 million illegal Poles, or Afghans, or Nigerians here, you'd probably be strongly "anti-illegal" yourself, and you'd make NO arguments about these illegals 'contributing' to "our"(your) society.....right? I think so. You'd want them to LEAVE.

Illegal immigration is a legal issue. You, and many others, insist on making it an "ethnic" issue. This will haunt our society for decades to come.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
macmeal there is some truth in what you say. I lived 6 blocks from the border and because I speak Spanish had many conversations with these illegals. For me its a combination of factors. 1. I remember them building a house across the street during a record heat wave- well over 100. They were there when my little girl's school bus left at 6;17 AM and worked until 7PM. I watched them for a while one day and brought them some ice cause they didn't seem to have cold water. A couple of days later my tire went flat and my jack etc were in my son's car. I had to go into town but when I returned someone had removed the wheel for me. I've always found them extra nice. As an elected prosecutor I rarely found them in any real trouble. Maybe a DWI here and there.

I started with nothing but have 3 grad degrees and am in the top 1% in wealth. These Mexicans are not a threat to me - my job because I worked my way through school and got an education.

On this post most of those who disagree with me are pretty articulate, however look at your local newspaper online - people complaining about Mexicans often are totally illiterate. I can almost guess their position each time just by the sentence structure ( or lack thereof). At least the Mexicans can speak ONE language fluently.

I'm not easily stereotyped. I voted in the last 3 GOP primaries, but after supporting Ron Paul, I voted for Obama. I am extremely strict on crime - I almost never believe a burglar should get probation.

I see these people working their asses off, in the worst conditions, and for slave wages and yet they have to time and energy to help others. I also see ignorant fat rednecks too lazy to work and learn our language and blaming these guys for all their problems.

Yes they are breaking the law but some laws are badly motivated and have been throughout our history- forget for a second what you think of marijuana and look at the legislative history of how the statutes were enacted. "A bill to curtail the brown and red races" ( from California). Read the debate in the Minnesota legislature as the legislators to a man, didn't even know what marijuana was - when Wash DC send them the prohibiting legislation.

Each law has to be decided on its own merits - for me, as to the Mexicans "live and let live"

Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you are inferring that US culture is superior; say, compared to Mexico's---------that is obvious. Otherwise we would not have those insolent Third Worlders sneaking across the border.

And I repeat: we owe Mexico nothing---------that nation needs to grow up and take care of its peasants, most of whom are indeed people of color (Mx's elite is usually White).

This is so embarassing.....interesting your focus is not on what's most important or tangible but frivolous and empty ego-thumping at the most inappropriate time. LOL i find it bizarre of americans to act in this manner but it's so typical. if you are so superior, then why do you need to flaunt yourself so much, since you feel others are below you anyways? when someone truly feels superior, they certainly don't try to impress anyone they consider beneath them or care to convince them they are.

anyways, your post blatantly ignores america's responsiblity in this illegal immigraton issue. amerians are hiring illegals, americans are not deporting illegals, americans let illegals suck up welfare due to their policies.

do i need to outline for you how your country could crack down on it?? why do you let anchor babies happen? why do you let welfare mothers make babies for money? why do you give free healthcare to illegals? i think this is the tip of the iceberg but it's pretty ridiculous. some may so it's being humane. i disagree, it's set up for exploitation. let me give an example, a single mother struggling with one child can't suvive on welfare. It's just not enough, it's there to provide assistance while she's working, schooling etc. while those who have more children can survive soley on welfare, so there you have it. if the laws were not so lax, people wouldn't take advantage of them. i can't even go to my native country and get free healthcare though it's not outrageous like it is here, so i can pay for it still.

keep blaming the thief who walks through your front door while you consistently keep it unlocked. very smart of ya!

And when did i say america owes mexico anything? i'm just more realistic about possible solutions. Since mexico's elite is white and the government is a corrupt mess, why are you making a racial distinction that is inevitably unfavorable to them as well?

lmao

Last edited by leaana; 03-07-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
This is so embarassing.....interesting your focus is not on what's most important or tangible but frivolous and empty ego-thumping at the most inappropriate time. LOL i find it bizarre of americans to act in this manner but it's so typical. if you are so superior, then why do you need to flaunt yourself so much, since you feel others are below you anyways? when someone truly feels superior, they certainly don't try to impress anyone they consider beneath them or care to convince them they are.

anyways, your post blatantly ignores america's responsiblity in this illegal immigraton issue. amerians are hiring illegals, americans are not deporting illegals, americans let illegals suck up welfare due to their policies.

do i need to outline for you how your country could crack down on it?? why do you let anchor babies happen? why do you let welfare mothers make babies for money? why do you give free healthcare to illegals? i think this is the tip of the iceberg but it's pretty ridiculous. some may so it's being humane. i disagree, it's set up for exploitation. let me give an example, a single mother struggling with one child can't suvive on welfare. It's just not enough, it's there to provide assistance while she's working, schooling etc. while those who have more children can survive soley on welfare, so there you have it. if the laws were not so lax, people wouldn't take advantage of them. i can't even go to my native country and get free healthcare though it's not outrageous like it is here, so i can pay for it still.

keep blaming the thief who walks through your front door while you consistently keep it unlocked. very smart of ya!

And when did i say america owes mexico anything? i'm just more realistic about possible solutions. Since mexico's elite is white and the government is a corrupt mess, why are you making a racial distinction that is inevitably unfavorable to them as well?

lmao
Even more damaging is our unfortunate habit of allowing miserable ingrates from abroad to settle here in the US legally, people who do nothing but p*** and moan about the place from dawn til dusk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration