Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Per the "deflect attention", we can turn to Joe Wilson. His now infamous "You lie" statement was the rallying cry of both 9/12ers and the insurance industry. However, the bill did not include illegal immigrants. The wording specifically excluded them. Still, support was garnered against the bill. Why? Because the fear induced in people meant that would be less receptive to the program and ultimately not change our current system. Private insurance companies finance these "grassroots" protest in order to stave off competition. Illegal immigration was used to falsely galvanize support for keeping the status quo.

The bold, again contains a huge flaw. It implies that there are only two plausible outcomes. That I do put the health and well-being of my children first, or I don't. Plus, this question is rooted in an emotional appeal. Obviously my child. However, I would also make sure that others (be they legal or not) are able to have an equal opportunity for success. This is much like the same concept of public education. Parents want success for their own children, but feel that others deserve the same opportunities as well.

As for the spelling, whoops, that's a gaffe...
As Benicar stated, no one is allowed to ask the legal status of anyone, so, what's the point?

My question is NOT a huge flaw. Every dollar that goes to treat, educate, medicate, etc. illegal aliens is a dollar that does not help our own citizens. ESL classes in schools mean more teachers, more teacher salaries and pensions, which, if you don't fully realize, are paid for by American taxpayers. Maybe you don't own your home and only rent so you may not realize that. Ninety percent of my township taxes go toward the school system. Do I really want to double my taxes so illegal aliens can be 'taken care of'? Nope, I do not. Do I want my health insurance premiums to continue rising to cover all the emergency room/maternity ward visits from illegal aliens? Nope, I do not. Do I want my federal taxes to double so more handouts can be given to illegal aliens? Nope, I do not. Do You?

No flaws. If you are a citizen of America I cannot understand how you could put the interests of foreigeners above those of your own countrymen. It seems you do not understand American culture.

I was also going to comment on that nasty note you left me, but decided it's not worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Maybe you don't own your home and only rent so you may not realize that. Ninety percent of my township taxes go toward the school system.
In the case of township taxes or property taxes, illegal immigrants pay them too, even if it's by proxy.

Chances are, they are renting, thus they are paying rent. The landlord pays property tax on the rental property. Voila.

I'm not going to dispute the rest of your post, because you have valid points, but in the case of health care, ER visits, and handouts, is it okay for American citizens to accept free health care, ER visits and handouts on the taxpayers' dime? Yes, they have a "right" to be here, but American citizens taking handouts is no less of a burden on the system than illegal immigrants doing so.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In the case of township taxes or property taxes, illegal immigrants pay them too, even if it's by proxy.

Chances are, they are renting, thus they are paying rent. The landlord pays property tax on the rental property. Voila.

I'm not going to dispute the rest of your post, because you have valid points, but in the case of health care, ER visits, and handouts, is it okay for American citizens to accept free health care, ER visits and handouts on the taxpayers' dime? Yes, they have a "right" to be here, but American citizens taking handouts is no less of a burden on the system than illegal immigrants doing so.
Except that if not for illegal aliens being in our country that would be that much less we would be paying out in taxes to care for those who do burden our system. So, yes it would be less of a burden for us.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except that if not for illegal aliens being in our country that would be that much less we would be paying out in taxes to care for those who do burden our system. So, yes it would be less of a burden for us.
So if all illegal immigrants in this country left tomorrow, do you think your collective tax bills would go down in response to the lesser burden?

IMO it would be doubtful.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
So if all illegal immigrants in this country left tomorrow, do you think your collective tax bills would go down in response to the lesser burden?

IMO it would be doubtful.
If we could keep illegals out of our public schools and ERs we would save BILLIONS annually. Not to mention, our prisons. So yes, we would realize tax benefits if they left.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:

"Right to be here", though, has its merits. It's like the difference between your having to 'pay damages', or 'clean up the mess', caused by YOUR errant teenager, as opposed to your having to do the same for MY errant teenager. Not saying our own 'non-contributing' poor aren't a burden....but they're OUR burden. Not so with foreign citizens....(or at least, that's the theory).

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If we could keep illegals out of our public schools and ERs we would save BILLIONS annually. Not to mention, our prisons. So yes, we would realize tax benefits if they left.
That's a nice thought, but I don't think we'd all get tax checks/reductions due to a surplus, the powers that be would find something to do with that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Right to be here", though, has its merits. It's like the difference between your having to 'pay damages', or 'clean up the mess', caused by YOUR errant teenager, as opposed to your having to do the same for MY errant teenager. Not saying our own 'non-contributing' poor aren't a burden....but they're OUR burden. Not so with foreign citizens....(or at least, that's the theory).
My, their, your, burden. Burden nonetheless. I don't see a difference either way, I don't know who exactly all the help is going to, IMO one is no different than the other.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
That's a nice thought, but I don't think we'd all get tax checks/reductions due to a surplus, the powers that be would find something to do with that money.

My, their, your, burden. Burden nonetheless. I don't see a difference either way, I don't know who exactly all the help is going to, IMO one is no different than the other.
No difference between a citizen and an illegal alien? I see. Surplus? Surely you jest. We are in the red now and just need to try and dig ourselves out of the hole.

I would rather our government just made a bonfire out of our taxes rather than spend it on illegal invaders who have no respect for our laws.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:

Why do you put the word 'right' in quotes?

If you want to be a citizen of a world with no borders start looking for another planet.

I find your way of thinking insulting.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

You will get no argument from me in defense of our government. It is inept and replete with corruption and greed. However, we simply cannot continue to support millions of foreigners who are here illegally; in particular, while we can’t even adequately provide for our own. They are an added and unnecessary burden.

Do you see the difference between having to support your children, as opposed to your children and 5 of your neighbor’s kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration