U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Okay? So what? You never sped down the freeway too fast?
Amazing! This is just what I had said about the pro-illegal tactics. They claim that we shouldn't object to illegal immigration if we have ever had a speeding ticket. That logic is so totally bizarre that it defies any kind of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Yeah ok...whatever you say. Liberty or death! Ever heard of that. All you people that are in favor of harassing people by asking for "papers" like we are communists, don't believe in the constitution of the United States and Bill of Rights. Commie behavior is what I would call this!
There is nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that denies us the right to have and to enforce immigration laws. If I am asked for my DL in a traffic stop does that equate to Communism? If I am asked when applying for a job for my SS number and proof of right to work in this country does that equate to Communism? Unbelievable! Just how desperate are the pro-illegals going to get to keep this invasion going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Okay? So what? You never sped down the freeway too fast?
Factoring in ID theft, non reporting of income, etc. I can safely say that 100% of all illegal aliens are criminals. The above crimes are Felonies which would land my American butt in prison.

As for Felony speeding (21 MPH or greater) down a road: if I were to do so and get caught------------oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No they wouldn't... we've seen the middle class flight occur in the 1990s (during a time of gentrification in SF, and SD, yet not in LA)...the big push to the Inland regions of SoCal. Crime is also higher in said regions. We also see that gentrification is weak during the recession. DT LA is not as desirable as it once was. Jobs are moving away to more suburban locales. So, this is flawed.
Flawed? Not here in the Phx area; areas formerly full of illegals are starting to become desirable places for decent people to live in since those enclaves tend to be close to amenities. Cheap housing certainly does not hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Amazing! This is just what I had said about the pro-illegal tactics. They claim that we shouldn't object to illegal immigration if we have ever had a speeding ticket. That logic is so totally bizarre that it defies any kind of common sense.
Illegal immigration is a 'permanent' state of being in violation of the law. It has no comparison to speeding, double parking, littering, or jaywalking, all of which are 'transitory' acts. Illegal immigration would be better compared to setting up housekeeping in a city park....or moving into a vacant house without the owner's permission....or building a structure without adhering to building codes. All of these are more-or-less 'permanent' acts, which cause ongoing damage.

One more thing that sets illegal immigration apart, is that whether the above acts are temporary, OR permanent, none of them have any significant group of people making impassioned arguments, and convoluted analogies, and 'compassionate' bending of the truth in order to 'defend' this behavior. No one is suggesting a 'racial' or an 'ethnic' angle in any of the above offenses, except for one. Only ONE large set of lawbreakers enjoys that distinction....(and it isn't speeders...and it isn't shoplifters..and it isn't drunk drivers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
 
484 posts, read 1,046,699 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There is nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that denies us the right to have and to enforce immigration laws.
You're right about that but both the 4th and 14th Amendments prevents unreasonable search and seizure, which would be the legal issue involved in rounding up day laborers. It would be unreasonable for the police to randomly ask someone for ID unless the officer had some reason to believe crime was afoot; this would require more than a "hunch". See Terry v. Ohio

Such instances have already made their way through the courts, which all indicate that a belief that a person is an illegal immigrant is not enough to stop someone. Now, if you are actively chasing someone who you saw just cross the border, then that is a different story.

What could happen is that day workers could be stopped for loitering. They could then be asked for ID. This depends on where they are standing and the local law concerning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Illegal immigration is a 'permanent' state of being in violation of the law. It has no comparison to speeding, double parking, littering, or jaywalking, all of which are 'transitory' acts. Illegal immigration would be better compared to setting up housekeeping in a city park....or moving into a vacant house without the owner's permission....or building a structure without adhering to building codes. All of these are more-or-less 'permanent' acts, which cause ongoing damage.

One more thing that sets illegal immigration apart, is that whether the above acts are temporary, OR permanent, none of them have any significant group of people making impassioned arguments, and convoluted analogies, and 'compassionate' bending of the truth in order to 'defend' this behavior. No one is suggesting a 'racial' or an 'ethnic' angle in any of the above offenses, except for one. Only ONE large set of lawbreakers enjoys that distinction....(and it isn't speeders...and it isn't shoplifters..and it isn't drunk drivers).
Indeed! Nor is our economy suffering due to jaywalkers, speeders, or other minor traffic violations. The comparison is idiotic, and only serves to exemplify the sheer desperation of pro-illegals, and their lack of anything remotely substantive in their defense of illegal immigration. They have no choice but to grasp at straws; and itís becoming more evident with each nonsensical post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Amazing! This is just what I had said about the pro-illegal tactics. They claim that we shouldn't object to illegal immigration if we have ever had a speeding ticket. That logic is so totally bizarre that it defies any kind of common sense.
You guys are the ones always saying a "law is a law". Ironically, you have a problem with YOUR own methods of logic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Illegal immigration is a 'permanent' state of being in violation of the law. It has no comparison to speeding, double parking, littering, or jaywalking, all of which are 'transitory' acts. Illegal immigration would be better compared to setting up housekeeping in a city park....or moving into a vacant house without the owner's permission....or building a structure without adhering to building codes. All of these are more-or-less 'permanent' acts, which cause ongoing damage.

One more thing that sets illegal immigration apart, is that whether the above acts are temporary, OR permanent, none of them have any significant group of people making impassioned arguments, and convoluted analogies, and 'compassionate' bending of the truth in order to 'defend' this behavior. No one is suggesting a 'racial' or an 'ethnic' angle in any of the above offenses, except for one. Only ONE large set of lawbreakers enjoys that distinction....(and it isn't speeders...and it isn't shoplifters..and it isn't drunk drivers).
You compared rape to illegal immigration. Technically, rape is a "transitory" act...Again, I posted that to be ironic with your methods of logic. However, I never intended for people to un-ironically try to refute their own techniques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
You guys are the ones always saying a "law is a law". Ironically, you have a problem with YOUR own methods of logic...
According to your logic though one would have to be perfect in order to justify being opposed to illegal immigration. That isn't possible since we are all human. Besides when an American breaks the law they pay the consequences. In the case of a speeding ticket there is only one person involved and only one person who will suffer for it....themselves. In the case of illegal immigration our whole country suffers. Many if not most Americans do not break laws intentionally anyway. So because "some" do that makes your case for illegal immigration for you? Just how desperate is your side going to get to justify the violation of our immigration laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top