Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
What about architects, or doctors, perhaps lawyers, would you ask them for their papers too??? ha, ha, ha...
Architects and doctors? Maybe....but I wouldn't ask a lawyer for ANYTHING.....nor would I trust the papers they carried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
That is racial profiling and HARRASSMENT. It is the employer's job to check and verify papers. If you suspect someone is "illegal", take it up with the employer. Stop harrassing people based on their race and your stereotypes! We are acting like freaking communists!! Do we want to be like Cuba where police ask citizens for "papers". So know being illegal is reason to ask for IDs like some criminal! SHAMEFUL!!!!!!!!!That is very UN-AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No its not. Dont you know we are at war. During war we need to know who the aliens are, As I said I have to have an ID and as long as I do everyone else should...DUH!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Okay, these people are working. Right? They now have the capital to buy food, drink, clothes, etc. These things generate tax revenue. This goes back to the system. Also, the act of consuming is providing businesses with revenue. These businesses are now able to buy more goods and able to pay rent. The management company of the property pays property taxes. In the end, they (illegal immigrants) do provide a service, and aid local economies. The issue is that since they are illegal, roughly 40-45% do NOT pay federal taxes. If they were somehow legal (worker permit, visa, or citizen), they would pay taxes.
Funny you don't mention the downside. Now deduct public assistance, funds sent out of the country, healthcare, education, Incarceration, etc...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:44 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Funny you don't mention the downside. Now deduct public assistance, funds sent out of the country, healthcare, education, Incarceration, etc...
Exactly, most of these families probably make under the poverty line. Make them legal and not only do their kids qualify for govt aid the whole family will.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Yes, Police should be asking everyone they have cause to question, if they have a proper ID. Loitering is a cause for questioning.
Those that cannot produce an ID, need to be detained until they can positively identify them.
Those that are citizens and here legally will have some form of ID. Those that cannot produce such, need to be dealt with and sent back to where they have a birth certificate.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Public assistance: The reports I've read vary on this greatly.

Funds sent out of country: What about the majority of funds used to live here...There are BILLIONS of dollars sent abroad by legal residents, this point is moot.

Healthcare: 200631.2%200528.8%200426.9%200324.9%200222.3%200121.5%200021.6%199920.7%199819.0%
Source: Avalere Health analysis of 2006 American Hospital Association Annual Survey data for community hospitals.

These are the percentages of unpaid treatments. Seeing how we also have MILLIONS of uninsured citizens, I think that a good percentage of this is related to the millions of Americans who don't have health insurance and lack the ability to pay.

Education: So we shouldn't educate people? I understand that it costs to educate...but BILLIONS are saved in the long run.

Incarceration: Some reports put the rate as high as 27%...some as low as 3% (consistent to the percent of the population). Typically, anti-(illegal) immigration sites put the higher percentage.

What I do know is that in many communities there is a strong reliance on the income generated by illegal immigrants.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly, most of these families probably make under the poverty line. Make them legal and not only do their kids qualify for govt aid the whole family will.
Though higher than the 9-11% poverty rate of America...the majority are about the poverty line.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

706 posts, read 939,922 times
"I do know is that in many communities there is a strong reliance on the income generated by illegal immigrants"

And those communities are?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
"I do know is that in many communities there is a strong reliance on the income generated by illegal immigrants"

And those communities are?
East LA, Montebello (plaza Mexico), Compton (after the riots of the 1990s, when middle income African Americans moved to suburban IE...one of the saving graces with influx of people and $), South LA...

I think you get my point. Many lower income communities are supported by sales tax that are generated by illegal immigrants (since much of their population is illegal).

Postsville, IA is also an example.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
immigration should come and do it. but of course they are under order not to. when is the last time you saw a BP car in front of a home depot? yep they look look look but just cant seem to find em.
come to the circus

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration