U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM
 
313 posts, read 610,101 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Much like going to college does not make You " intellegent", neither does simply being born in America make one an "American"
legally,yes.....but being American is more than some bastardization of the 14th amendment....
much more.....
jmo
So you actually believe someone who was born in America speaks American English watches American T.V. reads American Magazines and has American friends can still be considered a foreigner

Jesus, now I'm totally confused.

 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:05 AM
 
411 posts, read 402,541 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I love when people say "assimilate now!"

And that always come from white folks who have been here for generations and have lost of all their culture. They all speak one lanuagage and eat meatloaf and Mash potatoes. They have no culture saved among the generations. So they want everyone else to be like them? Give me a break. Stop being jealous because other people have rich and diverse cultures ALONG with the American one. Stop hating on that Latino that can speak perfect english and perfect spanish. Stop hating on that Puerto Rican who loves Arroz con Pollo just as much as he does Hot dogs and Hamburgers. Stop hating on the Indian neighbors who wear their tradition clothing and while they own that Gas Station you always pump your gas at. Stop using that word assimilate. People do not have to give up their language, culture, and pride in who they are to be part of the American Society. When you say that you sound small minded and out of touch.
wow!! you are good, funny you mention the "punch line" to assimilate,
A couple of years ago a client of mine of italian ancestry was all stressed
about his son because he was going to marry an anglo, and his comment was; "my grand children will have no culture", I always wonder why is it so difficult for the "anglos", usually the ones with less education, that this
is a multicultural country, where the jewish follow their culture, the muslims do the same as the italians etc. it will never become that so called "melting pot" I would recommend some Spanish lessons.....
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
You comment is laughable. Today's immigrants are vultures? Funny you say that. Your ancestors created what?. LOL. On the backs of Blacks...you should really be proud of that. Ancestors who raped and killed Indians...should be proud of that too. You have A NERVE to say today's immigrants are vultures. Today's immigrants are here for the same reasons generations of immigrants before them came for...to work hard for a better life. Funny, people said the same of Irish when they first came here. Then the Italians, they were vultures, white n***ers and thugs too. Then the Russians and the Polish. Funny, that there will always be Americans that feel threaten by immigrants like yourself.
And FYI...immigrants (Illegal I take it), do pay taxes. More often than not they pay Federal taxes and never get any of it back. Unlike you or I that get nice refunds every year. They pay into Social Security which they will never benefit from. So stop talking for the sake of just talking....let's hear more facts and less personal opinions.

"They do we nothing we really need". OH really...then why are they hired all the time? Because some NEEDS them to do a job, that's why! Duh. And I bet you LOVE quesadillas and burritos don't you.
The Italians, Irish, etc. came here legally------------that is what separates them from illegal aliens, most of whom happen to be either Mexican or Central American.

Frankly; if a bunch of Hungarians were here ilegally------I would be just as offended, never mind my dad came from there (legally).
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I love when people say "assimilate now!"

And that always come from white folks who have been here for generations and have lost of all their culture. They all speak one lanuagage and eat meatloaf and Mash potatoes. They have no culture saved among the generations. So they want everyone else to be like them? Give me a break. Stop being jealous because other people have rich and diverse cultures ALONG with the American one. Stop hating on that Latino that can speak perfect english and perfect spanish. Stop hating on that Puerto Rican who loves Arroz con Pollo just as much as he does Hot dogs and Hamburgers. Stop hating on the Indian neighbors who wear their tradition clothing and while they own that Gas Station you always pump your gas at. Stop using that word assimilate. People do not have to give up their language, culture, and pride in who they are to be part of the American Society. When you say that you sound small minded and out of touch.
Try again:

One huge reason that most legal immigrants did well was they forced their children to learn English----------and, in many cases, the mother and father spoke in their ancestral tongues if they had something private to say between each other.

Needless to say: multiculturalism is crap.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,116,947 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I love when people say "assimilate now!"

And that always come from white folks who have been here for generations and have lost of all their culture. They all speak one lanuagage and eat meatloaf and Mash potatoes. They have no culture saved among the generations. So they want everyone else to be like them? Give me a break. Stop being jealous because other people have rich and diverse cultures ALONG with the American one. Stop hating on that Latino that can speak perfect english and perfect spanish. Stop hating on that Puerto Rican who loves Arroz con Pollo just as much as he does Hot dogs and Hamburgers. Stop hating on the Indian neighbors who wear their tradition clothing and while they own that Gas Station you always pump your gas at. Stop using that word assimilate. People do not have to give up their language, culture, and pride in who they are to be part of the American Society. When you say that you sound small minded and out of touch.
Umm.. NOPE.. I'm a quarter Japanese and the son and grandson of Japanese Immigrants that came to the country LEGALLY, learned English and became Legal Citizens.. Immigrants should assimilate..

Stop hating on Legal Immigrants from countries that choose to come to the U.S. legally and STOP hating on American citizens that believe in protecting the laws of the land..
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,116,947 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
wow!! you are good, funny you mention the "punch line" to assimilate,
A couple of years ago a client of mine of italian ancestry was all stressed
about his son because he was going to marry an anglo, and his comment was; "my grand children will have no culture", I always wonder why is it so difficult for the "anglos", usually the ones with less education, that this
is a multicultural country, where the jewish follow their culture, the muslims do the same as the italians etc. it will never become that so called "melting pot" I would recommend some Spanish lessons.....
Hmm.. your post sounds as if you support a bicultural society RATHER than a Multi-cultural society..
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,116,947 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
You comment is laughable. Today's immigrants are vultures? Funny you say that. Your ancestors created what?. LOL. On the backs of Blacks...you should really be proud of that. Ancestors who raped and killed Indians...should be proud of that too. You have A NERVE to say today's immigrants are vultures. Today's immigrants are here for the same reasons generations of immigrants before them came for...to work hard for a better life. Funny, people said the same of Irish when they first came here. Then the Italians, they were vultures, white n***ers and thugs too. Then the Russians and the Polish. Funny, that there will always be Americans that feel threaten by immigrants like yourself.
And FYI...immigrants (Illegal I take it), do pay taxes. More often than not they pay Federal taxes and never get any of it back. Unlike you or I that get nice refunds every year. They pay into Social Security which they will never benefit from. So stop talking for the sake of just talking....let's hear more facts and less personal opinions.

"They do we nothing we really need". OH really...then why are they hired all the time? Because some NEEDS them to do a job, that's why! Duh. And I bet you LOVE quesadillas and burritos don't you.
No, Illegal Aliens are "hired all the time" because greedy employers are seeking cheap labor.. In many cases they come to the U.S. to undercut American workers, drop an anchor baby and utilize taxpayer funded public assistance programs..

If Illegal Aliens pay taxes, which in many cases is FAR less than what they take in public services, they are doing so with a fraudulent or stolen SSN..
 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Hmm.. your post sounds as if you support a bicultural society RATHER than a Multi-cultural society..
Exactly! Those who proclaim that we are a multi-cultural society in identity and singing its praises are really ethnocentrics that really want us to be a bi-cultural Anglo/Hispanic society or dilute the Anglo society and for us to become a mono-cultural Hispanic society. They fool no one.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-08-2009 at 08:25 AM..
 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
wow!! you are good, funny you mention the "punch line" to assimilate,
A couple of years ago a client of mine of italian ancestry was all stressed
about his son because he was going to marry an anglo, and his comment was; "my grand children will have no culture", I always wonder why is it so difficult for the "anglos", usually the ones with less education, that this
is a multicultural country, where the jewish follow their culture, the muslims do the same as the italians etc. it will never become that so called "melting pot" I would recommend some Spanish lessons.....
Busted! If what you want is a multi-cultural society then why did you mention only Spanish? Read my post above as to what your true intent is.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Dude if you've been living here by age 6 your an American. Your so enveloped in this culture (T.V., school,friends) you can't fight it even if you tried!
One can be an American on paper only but not American in their hearts. Again, you fail to know what true assimilation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top