U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
 
15 posts, read 28,572 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I am fairly new to NC, moved here from Miami where the majority is Latino and Spanish is fast becoming the primary language. Please don't misunderstand my question... it is more out of curiosity than out of racism, but when I moved here, I absolutely did not expect to hear as much Spanish as I have been. Before anyone gets offended, let me be clear again ... this is NOT coming from a 'racist' perspective... my kids are half Latin and I do speak Spanish pretty well (HAD to learn in Miami). It wasn't as surprising to have such a high Latin population in South Fl due to the proximity to Latin countries, and to the similar tropical climate etc. BUT, in Cary NC??!! And many other small towns such as Asheboro NC, which I read is "overun by Mexicans". I am just wondering what it is that brings the Mexican population here in droves, to small towns in NC??? How are they affording the cost of living?? We don't even have good public transportation here, what is the draw?

 
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,069 posts, read 40,057,338 times
Reputation: 13289
I cant speak for Asheboro as I dont live there, but frequent there alot and yes the I have notice above normal Mexican population for a small city. I donot know what the draw or industry except maybe the cost of living. The migration has been quick and someone like you with a Spanish background could probably find a translation job easy try a goverment job then buisness that needs this service

Races in Asheboro:
  • White Non-Hispanic (65.6%)
  • Hispanic (19.9%)
  • Black (12.1%)
  • Other race (7.7%)
  • Two or more races (1.8%)
  • American Indian (0.8%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ashebo...#ixzz0WDepqwgV
 
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,745,616 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilisa View Post
I am fairly new to NC, moved here from Miami where the majority is Latino and Spanish is fast becoming the primary language. Please don't misunderstand my question... it is more out of curiosity than out of racism, but when I moved here, I absolutely did not expect to hear as much Spanish as I have been. Before anyone gets offended, let me be clear again ... this is NOT coming from a 'racist' perspective... my kids are half Latin and I do speak Spanish pretty well (HAD to learn in Miami). It wasn't as surprising to have such a high Latin population in South Fl due to the proximity to Latin countries, and to the similar tropical climate etc. BUT, in Cary NC??!! And many other small towns such as Asheboro NC, which I read is "overun by Mexicans". I am just wondering what it is that brings the Mexican population here in droves, to small towns in NC??? How are they affording the cost of living?? We don't even have good public transportation here, what is the draw?

Wait...so South Florida does have good public transportation?

The draw of Miami isn't simply it's proximity to Latin countries. For any city or town to attract a particular nationality, it only takes a few immigrants from that country to relay to people back home about how much they like living there. They tend to move extended family and friends there, then it snowballs. That's the main reason Atlanta has the fastest growing Korean population in the U.S. - and Atlanta is nowhere near Korea.

NC in general has been attracting new residents from Mexico for a few years now. I'm sure each individual has his/her reason for moving there.
 
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 4,279,561 times
Reputation: 1310
There's a large migrant labor force # 1 in town for the harvests, you also hae a large population that comes to work in the large amount of food processing facilities. Smithfield Packing has the worlds largest Pork Slaughterhouse in Tarheel, NC and there are about 5 other large scale chicken processing operations in NC as well.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
8,193 posts, read 10,811,728 times
Reputation: 7783
The reasons are very simple: Farming. Migrant workers and plenty of agriculture to keep them employed. Also, construction employs many of them, and up until the recession hit a year ago, new construction was going up on every corner in this area.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
 
49 posts, read 53,733 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The reasons are very simple: Farming. Migrant workers and plenty of agriculture to keep them employed. Also, construction employs many of them, and up until the recession hit a year ago, new construction was going up on every corner in this area.
After living in Scottsdale, AZ and seeing how hard the Mexicans work, I'd welcome them into my community without a second look. My experience has been positive. I've found them to work harder and longer hours than many other people.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
 
3,073 posts, read 4,478,450 times
Reputation: 1540
I welcome hard workers too. BUT they need to have a right to be here. You would not welcome the ones with no IDs would you?
 
Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
 
15 posts, read 28,572 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Wait...so South Florida does have good public transportation?
Actually DeaconJ, yes, Miami certainly had decent public transportation. While it may not be the best I have ever experienced, it's pretty good by comparison to this area. My sons were able to live at home and get to college without a car. Besides the buses, there is also the Metrorail which we used frequently. I was surprised that not even Raleigh, the capital, has any form of train system to get around the city.
 
Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM
 
15 posts, read 28,572 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I welcome hard workers too. BUT they need to have a right to be here. You would not welcome the ones with no IDs would you?
I agree with you Nativechief. It's the illegal aspect that bothers me. I still have a youngster in the public schools and have seen how taxing the tremendous migration of illegals has been on the school system and in other areas.
 
Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,370 times
Reputation: 12
In NC people are too polite to even honk if you sleep through a green light. Perhaps it's because here, people politely allow the illegals to overrun their town and just learn Spanish and hire translators so they can properly be hospitable. Perhaps it's because NC pays one of the highest rates of unemployment so they can make a draw while illegally working under the table for someone else. Here's a phrase we should all learn..."No habla espanol". As for the "hardworkers" ha! 1st generation, yes. 2nd generation, go check out the gang activity in NM, AZ, TX, CA, FL, etc. Criminals who work and criminals who don't aren't REALLY that different. They just steal from you and your children in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top