U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 992,467 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

<<he failed to use appropite words;>>

Before you critique others, you might want to check your own spelling.

 
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,085,727 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, they have that choice but why do they do it? It is a non-assimilation factor to not speak the language of this country out in public IMO. Eavesdropping? Hardly, everywhere you go they are speaking Spanish only. There is no way to avoid hearing it. They are speaking in Spanish to their school-aged kids all the time. How does this help their kids assimilate in school?
No because we want to converse in our language. That's all. I speak French with other speakers all the time in public. If an Anglophone comes in and interrupts...we continue in French. If it's not an interruption...we switch back to English.

People assimilate all the time with multiple languages.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No because we want to converse in our language. That's all. I speak French with other speakers all the time in public. If an Anglophone comes in and interrupts...we continue in French. If it's not an interruption...we switch back to English.

People assimilate all the time with multiple languages.
Converse in your native language at home then. If you constantly choose your native language out in public then you have not fully assimilated and it is disrespectful of our nation's language IMO. It feels like one is living in Mexico where ever one goes rather than the U.S. If I want to feel like I am living in Mexico I will move there.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-16-2009 at 06:56 PM..
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,235,313 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Converse in your native language at home then. If you constantly choose your native language out in public then you have not fully assimilated and it is disrespectful of our nation's language IMO. It feels like one is living in Mexico whereever one gees rather than the U.S. I want to feel like I am living in Mexico I will move there.
As I said before, our nation has no National language.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
As I said before, our nation has no National language.
Yes, it does. It is English. That was discussed in congress awhile back when some saught to make English our "official" language. It was pointed out by the anti-English advocates that there was no need to make it our "official" language because it already is our "national" language.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It feels like one is living in Mexico where ever one goes rather than the U.S. If I want to feel like I am living in Mexico I will move there.
You might like it. I've been there many times, and in some ways, certain neighborhoods in Mexico bear a striking resemblance to certain neighborhoods in California....except that California has WAY more illegal immigrants.....
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 PM
 
304 posts, read 343,053 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
True. But America may not be the wealthiest and strongest for long. Maybe my suggestion of Mandarin was not a bad choice?

If other children spoke Spanish as a second language they could help the Spanish-only kids learn English.
Are you making the assumption that Spanish speaking children in our schools are incapable of learning English...even though we have English as a second language program in schools? PLEASE. I can't stand it.

It is my opinion that ESL only HINDERS Spanish speaking from becoming proficient in English. I formed this opinion because my husband began school speaking only Spanish, this was prior to ESL classes in CA. In fact, he didn't learn English until second grade and was still passed. (What does that say about our schools? That is for another forum.) My point is, he learned English quickly because he had to.

It is not helping the Spanish speaking by not requiring they learn English. English is the international language of business, I would say that is the main reason Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, East Indians etc. learn English in their homeland. They know English is the key to their success.

Having said all that, yes, it is a good idea to learn a second language...but do it because you want to, not because you have to communicate with someone who came to our country and refuses to learn our language.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Are you making the assumption that Spanish speaking children in our schools are incapable of learning English...even though we have English as a second language program in schools? PLEASE. I can't stand it.

It is my opinion that ESL only HINDERS Spanish speaking from becoming proficient in English. I formed this opinion because my husband began school speaking only Spanish, this was prior to ESL classes in CA. In fact, he didn't learn English until second grade and was still passed. (What does that say about our schools? That is for another forum.) My point is, he learned English quickly because he had to.

It is not helping the Spanish speaking by not requiring they learn English. English is the international language of business, I would say that is the main reason Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, East Indians etc. learn English in their homeland. They know English is the key to their success.

Having said all that, yes, it is a good idea to learn a second language...but do it because you want to, not because you have to communicate with someone who came to our country and refuses to learn our language.
Or worse yet expecting us to learn the language of illegal invaders so we can communicate with them. Why would we want to communicate with them other than to say "adios"? Ok, my Spanish is sufficient.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
 
304 posts, read 343,053 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What we need instead is better immigration laws. We have no shortage of would-be immigrants, but we are taking in the millions who cannot and will not adapt. Instead we should become more selective and choose those people who have some ability to learn our ways and who truly wish to become part of the American people. There are more than enough people in the world who could come and fit in and contribute.
Why should they learn English when they don't have to? They can go into any home improvement store and find signs in both English and Spanish. Packaging in the grocery store is in English and Spanish. They can vote, take their driver's license, read a hospital directory all in their native tongue. Even some commercials are in Spanish these days on otherwise all English stations. They have whole communities with stores and restaurants in Spanish. Church services are in Spanish. I'd say that pretty much covers all the bases.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,913,834 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Why should they learn English when they don't have to? They can go into any home improvement store and find signs in both English and Spanish. Packaging in the grocery store is in English and Spanish. They can vote, take their driver's license, read a hospital directory all in their native tongue. Even some commercials are in Spanish these days on otherwise all English stations. They have whole communities with stores and restaurants in Spanish. Church services are in Spanish. I'd say that pretty much covers all the bases.
They can vote and take drivers licenses? But then Asians do not enjoy the same benefit. My Thai wife did not enjoy such a benefit. She was forced to test in English. Why do we cater to a select few? Sounds like discrimination to me.
We really should cater to none. Either you can pass the test in the official language of our government or you can't.
Sounds like discrimination to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top