U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
I keep trying to figure out if their culture and countries are so great that we should adopt it, why do they keep fleeing them and invading the US by the millions? Why do the countries from which they hail perpetually remain 3rd world cesspools filled with poverty, crime and corruption?
That’s the 1 million dollar question. Why not remain in their homeland paradise, rather than fleeing to the USA? Sadly, with the assistance of our government, they are transforming this country into the third-world they left behind.

 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 AM
 
51 posts, read 54,628 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s the 1 million dollar question. Why not remain in their homeland paradise, rather than fleeing to the USA? Sadly, with the assistance of our government, they are transforming this country into the third-world they left behind.

That is the unfortunate truth in all of this. We are quickly becoming the hellhole that they left behind and are slowly but surely reassembling in the US.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:57 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,638,049 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
That is the unfortunate truth in all of this. We are quickly becoming the hellhole that they left behind and are slowly but surely reassembling in the US.
Agreed. If you live in a place (we'll call it 'back home' for the sake of fairness), and if life there is rough, tough, unfair, and harsh....and then you LEAVE, presumably you do so because you're going to a place (call it 'up here') that's BETTER than 'back home'. That's basic common sense. People migrate from 'bad' to 'better', instead of vice-versa.

After arriving in 'up here', if you then proceed to REJECT what you find here...the culture, the way of doing things, and the habits.....and if you persist in acting, thinking, relating, and living your life as though you were still 'back home'...and if you insist on congregating among huge numbers of like-minded people, all living like 'back home', and mistrusting 'up here'....guess what will happen? Give up? What will happen is that after awhile, "up here" will begin to resmemble "back home", and the problems you left behind will re-emerge here.

The reason 'up here' isn't like 'back home' is because our system here is different. We ignore that fact at our own peril. If you REALLY like things the way they were 'back home', perhaps the wise thing to do would be never to have left there. If you want to benefit by being 'up here', it would be prudent to begin integrating into the system up here.

No specific countries being mentioned here...just a general rule-of-thumb. Language, as such, isn't the main issue here. The main issue is assimilation. Can assimilation be done without learning the local language...and using it? I don't see how...not if you define 'assimilation' as I understand the term. Language is a big part of assimilation. There are other factors, too....but since almost ANY of these would provoke another argument, I'll leave it at 'language' for now.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
 
411 posts, read 403,183 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Then you must also realize the total Hispanic population includes illegal aliens. Actually, the phenomenal growth of the “Hispanic” population can be directly attributed to illegal aliens’ proclivity to irresponsibly procreate like rabbits.

Lets dont kid ourselves people have come to the US without documents since the beginning, only in the past few decades there have been more controls, the 45 million hispanic are the ones that are US citizens, and
some permanent legal residents on their way to citizenship, then there are 10-20 million undocumented, some of them here for many years, the total hispanics is of about 60 million, by 2050 it is estimated to be about 125 million.....
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
 
51 posts, read 54,628 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Agreed. If you live in a place (we'll call it 'back home' for the sake of fairness), and if life there is rough, tough, unfair, and harsh....and then you LEAVE, presumably you do so because you're going to a place (call it 'up here') that's BETTER than 'back home'. That's basic common sense. People migrate from 'bad' to 'better', instead of vice-versa.

After arriving in 'up here', if you then proceed to REJECT what you find here...the culture, the way of doing things, and the habits.....and if you persist in acting, thinking, relating, and living your life as though you were still 'back home'...and if you insist on congregating among huge numbers of like-minded people, all living like 'back home', and mistrusting 'up here'....guess what will happen? Give up? What will happen is that after awhile, "up here" will begin to resmemble "back home", and the problems you left behind will re-emerge here.

The reason 'up here' isn't like 'back home' is because our system here is different. We ignore that fact at our own peril. If you REALLY like things the way they were 'back home', perhaps the wise thing to do would be never to have left there. If you want to benefit by being 'up here', it would be prudent to begin integrating into the system up here.


So much logic and totally profound sentiments.

No specific countries being mentioned here...just a general rule-of-thumb. Language, as such, isn't the main issue here. The main issue is assimilation. Can assimilation be done without learning the local language...and using it? I don't see how...not if you define 'assimilation' as I understand the term. Language is a big part of assimilation. There are other factors, too....but since almost ANY of these would provoke another argument, I'll leave it at 'language' for now.
Indeed. If you can't communicate, or adapt to the laws and culture of the country in which you choose to migrate, it is highly unlikely that you are capable of assimilating in your new "homeland".
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,572 posts, read 18,014,175 times
Reputation: 5929
GOOD post Mac...you took the long way to explain what I called "mentality" of those who bring old ways with them and refuse to accept the new ways via assimilation.

Would be like trying to teach an old dog new tricks when it has a closed mind and refuses to budge.

Steve
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
 
411 posts, read 403,183 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, we have always been a melting pot. It isn't a target for the future. Just because we tolerate other cultures doesn't mean we don't have a basic and identifying culture of our own. Just because some groups want to segregate themselves from mainstream still doesn't equate to us not having a basic culture. I don't give a crap what Europe does. We are an English speaking country always have been and we have gotten along just fine with that but Spanish speakers want to change that. They fool no one with their "Americans should learn another language BS". It is only Spanish they want us to learn. We weren't born yesterday.
so what is that "culture" that you talk about like???.....
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Lets dont kid ourselves people have come to the US without documents since the beginning, only in the past few decades there have been more controls, the 45 million hispanic are the ones that are US citizens, and
some permanent legal residents on their way to citizenship, then there are 10-20 million undocumented, some of them here for many years, the total hispanics is of about 60 million, by 2050 it is estimated to be about 125 million.....
I have asked before. Please provide a link to those stats from a viable source.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
so what is that "culture" that you talk about like???.....
If you have to ask then you must not be an American but let's start with the English language, shall we? By the way, this has already been discussed and explained already in many topics in this forum. Are you saying you haven't read them?
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Lets dont kid ourselves people have come to the US without documents since the beginning, only in the past few decades there have been more controls, the 45 million hispanic are the ones that are US citizens, and
some permanent legal residents on their way to citizenship, then there are 10-20 million undocumented, some of them here for many years, the total hispanics is of about 60 million, by 2050 it is estimated to be about 125 million.....
For census data purposes, you do realize there is no distinction made between illegal Hispanics and citizen Hispanics, don’t you? As such, the total estimated number of Hispanics in this country includes illegal aliens.

As a matter of fact, attempts to require citizenship status to be included on the 2010 census have been defeated. Thus, again, the number of Hispanic “residents” will in fact include the estimated 9-15 million Hispanic illegal aliens. Actually, the total for illegals could be much higher, because there is no way to accurately determine how many Hispanics in this country are here illegally. Sorry, but that’s an irrefutable fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top