Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The USA also didn't become the wealthiest and strongest nation in the world by having many languages, we had English and just like people of India are surpassing us by learning English, we are slipping more and more into the third world by refusing to have a common language.
True. But America may not be the wealthiest and strongest for long. Maybe my suggestion of Mandarin was not a bad choice?

Quote:
English is the international language and it's a shame that so many children growing up in the USA getting free lunches at USA schools are not learning anything of English.
If other children spoke Spanish as a second language they could help the Spanish-only kids learn English.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Oops, shame on me for being such a racist. But I am glad that you agree to our need for an official second language—just not my choice of Spanish.

I suggested Spanish because it seems to be the most widely spoken language among illegal aliens. But, for the sake of fairness we should consider other languages. Maybe Mandarin?? Or possibly Swahili?? You suggest.
Foreign languages should be offered in our schools but a wide variety of them. Sure Mandarin is good, Arabic, Japanese -- many many languages. International trade would favor Japanese and Mandarin, science would favor Russian and French.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
True. But America may not be the wealthiest and strongest for long. Maybe my suggestion of Mandarin was not a bad choice?

If other children spoke Spanish as a second language they could help the Spanish-only kids learn English.
No they won't learn English. They would already be learning it if they had any desire to learn it. They would just continue to be lazy and let the Americans speak Spanish to them -- that's already the case.

We're not going to be the wealthiest or strongest because we're bringing in unlimited numbers of third world types who have little motivation to adapt or learn anything, and we're becoming more and more third world with it's gangs and graffitti and of course breeding habits.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
Quote:
The thing is, if more of us could communicate with Spanish speaking illegals then we could better influence their behavior. Less crime, less graffiti, better performance in schools. PLUS we would improve our language skills as a nation. WIN-WIN! What could be better.
It seems to me that we could communicate with the illegals if they chose to learn english. As far as crime, graffiti (crime) and, school performance....shouldn't that be a desire of theirs,regardless of the language they speak ?

And why only spanish?
Anyway, not on my watch.....we do enough for them already, just ask the taxpayer.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Because other immigrants, the Japanese, Chinese, Italians, and so on don't refuse to learn English or have their kids exposed to it. Other immigrants -- the Vietnamese for example picked up English very quickly, they had the ability and the desire to learn and adapt.
Very good point you have. These other immigrants who learned English would not need Spanish as a second official language. So it would be best to select Spanish as the official second language of the U.S.

Quote:
The poster is admitting that the Spanish speaking have no intention of learning, have no ability to adapt so that we must continue to adapt to them in order to accomodate them. They're coming for the money and easy life of government handouts, they expect to make no effort, refuse to learn anything new or about this country and it's culture. Other immigrants with more ability and desire to become American are turned away.
Yes, sadly it seems that many Spanish speaking illegals don’t speak English very well. At first, anyway. But I think you are wrong about the reasons they come to the U.S. I think most illegals come here to work. Having Spanish as a second official language would allow us to better supervise them in their new jobs.

Quote:
Cuantas estampillas de comida necesita? Tiene suficiente WIC cupones? Cuantos ninos tiene para poner en la escuela?
I don't necessarily agree. But I applaud your effort to support Spanish as a second official language inasmuch as you are responding in Spanish.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I'd rather have my kid learning English so he can better compete with that little kid from China or India someday who is going on to engineering college or medical school because his parents encouraged him to learn English.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The ironic thing is that 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. Spanish speaking people already have the vocabulary. Its just all about applying yourself.
Excellent point! We are just a small step away from knowing Spanish already. Why not make it official?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree. But I applaud your effort to support Spanish as a second official language inasmuch as you are responding in Spanish.
I only learned Spanish to travel in Mexico. It's funny how Americans will learn more Spanish for a 2 week vacation in Mexico than the "immigrants" will learn of English after 30, 40 years of living the good life here.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No because just like language, they don't expect to have to change or learn in any way.
But if Spanish was our official second language then more of us could communicate with the Spanish speaking illegals. We would better be able to influence their behavior.

Quote:
It's pretty much the reason they can't join the large and growing middle class of their own country, they can't adapt or learn. Mexico has free public schools and they don't finish -- because they don't want to finish school. That takes an effort. They don't want to reproduce responsibly - that also takes too much effort. Learn job skills? Nah, just move to the USA.
I’m not sure about all the issues you mention here. But I think it would be easier to assimilate Spanish speaking illegals into our large and growing middle class if Spanish was America’s official second language.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
It seems to me that we could communicate with the illegals if they chose to learn english. As far as crime, graffiti (crime) and, school performance....shouldn't that be a desire of theirs,regardless of the language they speak ?
Yeah. It does seem that way. Or at least it seems like it should be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
And why only spanish?Anyway, not on my watch.....we do enough for them already, just ask the taxpayer.
Maybe Mandarin?? (As mentioned above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration