Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not necessarily. Many come here to give birth to avoid working.
Can we get some numbers on this because in my personal experience I've never seen anyone do this. I know hundreds of undocumented immigrants and all of them came here to work or to be with family that lives here. I'm guessing if this does happen it is a very rare occurence, I mean it isn't like most illegal immigrants are knowledgeable about frauding our social welfare systems, most have no idea how any of that works.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Can we get some numbers on this because in my personal experience I've never seen anyone do this. I know hundreds of undocumented immigrants and all of them came here to work or to be with family that lives here. I'm guessing if this does happen it is a very rare occurence, I mean it isn't like most illegal immigrants are knowledgeable about frauding our social welfare systems, most have no idea how any of that works.
Oh please, don't play dumb. You admit yourself that many come here to join family. Are you telling us that they don't make them aware of the freebies available ahead of time especially if they give birth in our country? Sure many of them don't come with that intention but after they are here it isn't long before they know how to use the system and they do.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh please, don't play dumb. You admit yourself that many come here to join family. Are you telling us that they don't make them aware of the freebies available ahead of time especially if they give birth in our country? Sure many of them don't come with that intention but after they are here it isn't long before they know how to use the system and they do.
I'm not playing dumb, I've talked to many people about this and none of them have had any idea how to work those systems...like I said, they come here to work and send money back home so they can build a house, start a business back home and/or send their kids to school. The ones I know who have come to be with family usually just want to work themselves or just be here temporarily to visit family for a few months and then go back home. Most of them I know have come here with the intention of just working for a certain period of time to make the money they need to make before they move back home.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not playing dumb, I've talked to many people about this and none of them have had any idea how to work those systems...like I said, they come here to work and send money back home so they can build a house, start a business back home and/or send their kids to school. The ones I know who have come to be with family usually just want to work themselves or just be here temporarily to visit family for a few months and then go back home. Most of them I know have come here with the intention of just working for a certain period of time to make the money they need to make before they move back home.
As I said, even those who may not know how to scam the system before coming here learn real fast how to. It is common knowledge that if a woman can give birth on our soil she gets an automatic citizen with all the goodies that go along with that. They think it will anchor themselves on to our country in that way and therefore the term "anchor baby" was born.

They know they or their children can attend school here for free also. They know their kids can get free school lunches and they know they can get free healthcare also. They end up using these things whether or not it was their intention before coming here.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Im tired of it because it decriminalizes an element that obviously already has no regard for law. It is misrepresentational to state that they only come here to work. Every legal immigrant that comes here only comes here to work. The more accurate statement to make regarding illegal aliens would be: "They only break our laws to make money." or "They only commit the crime of entering our country illegally because they want to score a profit."

For instance Ive never heard anyone say: "Well the robbers just broke into a bank building because they wanted to work, so that they could take home some money".

...I mean, sure there is work involved in a robbery, but more importantly they are breaking the law to do that work.
Robbing a bank does not compare. Who *pays* the bank robbers to rob the bank? Who wants to hire their services? Nobody.

Illegals, on the other hand, perform a service that society values. Illegals are in demand because they work hard for relatively low wages. Employers can’t find U.S. citizens who will take the difficult, dirty jobs that illegals typically flourish in. If employers could find citizens to fill these low skill positions, they would.

I am getting off point in answering your question. This thread concerns why America should adopt Spanish as a second official language.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
As I said, even those who may not know how to scam the system before coming here learn real fast how to. It is common knowledge that if a woman can give birth on our soil she gets an automatic citizen with all the goodies that go along with that. They think it will anchor themselves on to our country in that way and therefore the term "anchor baby" was born.

They know they or their children can attend school here for free also. They know their kids can get free school lunches and they know they can get free healthcare also. They end up using these things whether or not it was their intention before coming here.
Elementary school and healthcare are things that Illegals with children born outside of the US use just as much as Illegals with children born in the US. How are the "anchor babies" giving them more of an advantage in that regard?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Robbing a bank does not compare. Who *pays* the bank robbers to rob the bank? Who wants to hire their services? Nobody.

Illegals, on the other hand, perform a service that society values. Illegals are in demand because they work hard for relatively low wages. Employers can’t find U.S. citizens who will take the difficult, dirty jobs that illegals typically flourish in. If employers could find citizens to fill these low skill positions, they would.

I am getting off point in answering your question. This thread concerns why America should adopt Spanish as a second official language.

I contend that it does compare. Simply because a tangential party MAY or may not conspire with bank robbers, doesnt mean that the robbers are anymore criminal than illegal aliens. If someone knowingly sponsors a criminal enterprise which conducts robberies and reaps benefits from the crime, then they are equally as complicit in crime as large corporations are in their sponsorship of illegal aliens. And it is a crime to knowingly hire illegal aliens.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Elementary school and healthcare are things that Illegals with children born outside of the US use just as much as Illegals with children born in the US. How are the "anchor babies" giving them more of an advantage in that regard?
The illegal parents think their anchor babies are their ticket to remain here rather than being deported. They use the old sob story about the "breaking up of families" to not get deported.

These kids here illegally should be educated and cared for in their own countries and the fact remains that if the illegal parents hadn't given birth on our soil by entering our country illegally we wouldn't be having to educate and care for them either.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post

"Illegals, on the other hand, perform a service that society values. Illegals are in demand because they work hard for relatively low wages. Employers can’t find U.S. citizens who will take the difficult, dirty jobs that illegals typically flourish in. If employers could find citizens to fill these low skill positions, they would."

You really are naive, aren't you? Please provide proof of your assertsions.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The illegal parents think their anchor babies are their ticket to remain here rather than being deported. They use the old sob story about the "breaking up of families" to not get deported.

These kids here illegally should be educated and cared for in their own countries and the fact remains that if the illegal parents hadn't given birth on our soil by entering our country illegally we wouldn't be having to educate and care for them either.
As I recall something of that nature occurred in southern Florida with Elian Gonzalez several years back. I know a news story is released about these types of situations once in a while but it definitely isn't something that affects the typical undocumented immigrant and I don't believe that a significant number of them plan it out that way. I personally don't know anyone who purposely had kids here to try and protect them from deportation. In fact, everyone I know who gets deported just ends up sneaking back in anyways, so it'd be more of a temporary hassle than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration