Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Do not underestimate the pressure and political power that a monolytic group of 50 million legal US citizens have, amnesty will take place without a doubt, my recomendation to you, learn spanish pronto.....
Nope. Sorry to disappoint you

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Do not underestimate the pressure and political power that a monolytic group of 50 million legal US citizens have, amnesty will take place without a doubt, my recomendation to you, learn spanish pronto.....
No, there are not 50 million legal Hispanic citizens. There are however, about 260 million non-Hispanic citizens. Let's see, what group would have the most political clout? Besides I thought your side claimed that Hispanics are assimilating so why would we need to learn Spanish? Talking out of both sides of your mouth now?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The former came here legally under the laws of the time----------and, quite a few candidates were rejected at Ellis Island and had to return home.

If anything: our immigration laws needed to be revert to something comparable to pre 1965----------and, kept there for a generation (or two).
I wasn't talking about legal or illegal. But in this case it doesn't matter.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, there are not 50 million legal Hispanic citizens. There are however, about 260 million non-Hispanic citizens. Let's see, what group would have the most political clout? Besides I thought your side claimed that Hispanics are assimilating so why would we need to learn Spanish? Talking out of both sides of your mouth now?

I know. He sounds kind of racist, but to each his own.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ha,Ha,Ha, this is funny, if to live in the US, people needed to speak english correctly, then more than half of the population would need to go elsewhere, that's the fear of so many radicals in the US, they struggle to deal with one language,to have to deal with in a bilingual society is unthinkable, the fact is, that we already live in a bilingual english/spanish
society, they just don't know it........
No, we don't live in a bi-lingual society. The proportion of Hispanics to non-Hispanics just isn't there and Spanish is predominantly spoken only in the southwest and Florida.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I agree! All the more reason to adopt Spanish as a secondary official language.
How can we have a secondary "Official Language" when we don't legally even have a primary "Official Language"
Each state may have one (or more) official language but not the Nation. I do think that we should have an official language and it should be English but I would really like to speak Spanish better than the few bad slang words I picked up while living close to the border.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The point is easy, if you want to be successful in the usa, learn spanish, which is our "de facto" second language, and your chances for success will certainly increase......
Hmm, the U.S. has been the most successful country in the world while remaining a mostly mono-lingual society since its founding and no, Spanish has never been our "de facto" second language.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
First it was the Irish, then Italians and Polish then Asians, especially the Chinese now it's the Mexicans. In 100 years it wont matter.
That's true. However, there was no discussion of Americans learning Celtic, Italian, Polish, or Mandarin during these periods of immigration.

The aforementioned immigrants wanted to be here; they wanted to become citizens. They knew that learning the language was a top priority if they were to get ahead and make a decent life for themselves.

Why is there now discussion of Americans learning Spanish? Could it be that the illegals do not really want to be here; that they do not want to become citizens; that they do not want to make a cecent life for themselves HERE?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's true. However, there was no discussion of Americans learning Celtic, Italian, Polish, or Mandarin during these periods of immigration.

The aforementioned immigrants wanted to be here; they wanted to become citizens. They knew that learning the language was a top priority if they were to get ahead and make a decent life for themselves.

Why is there now discussion of Americans learning Spanish? Could it be that the illegals do not really want to be here; that they do not want to become citizens; that they do not want to make a cecent life for themselves HERE?
Not to mention that those immigrant groups came here legally and not illegally as most of those south of our border are doing. Big difference!

They even have the gall to call us racists for wanting English to be made our official language along with insisting we learn their language! It is utter BS!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
The point is easy, if you want to be successful in the usa, learn spanish, which is our "de facto" second language, and your chances for success will certainly increase......
I am successful. All three of my daughters are successful. Both of my sons-in-law are successful. None of us speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration