Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times

Advertisements

The only Spanish word I need to know to communicate with the illegal invaders is "adios".

Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post

I don't think illegal immigrants have little motivation to ability to learn anything.
Then why haven't they learned English?

What is the reason for them not learning English?

Why can't they learn the language of the country they are occupying?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We are the most successful country on the planet. So I wouldn't say we need to keep up with the rest of the world. As I said, there is no need for Americans to learn another langauge unless they are in the tourist industry or they plan on moving abroad for awhile. I can think of far more important things to study that would contribute to improving an American's economic status then learning another language they won't use.
If America sits on her heels and doesn’t adapt we won’t remain the most successful country on the planet for long. Increasing our language skills by adopting a second official U.S. language could be just the edge we need.

Quote:
You don't have to learn another language to understand different cultures in this country. Our nation is already quite diverse and we are subjected to these different cultures everyday. The Americans of those cultures already speak English for the most part anyway. So what's to learn since they can communicate with us in English about their cultural practices if we are curious about them?
Ha ha! Your use of the word “subjected” tells me all I need to know about what you think of cultural diversity.

Quote:
I have no intention of learning Spanish to commicate with illegal invaders. Why in the world would I want to communicate with law breakers? English is our language and no way should Spanish be on the same level as our national language.
Fine. Nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Wait why should I have to learn Spanish to appease the Illegals in this Country? They were the ones who chose to cross our borders Illegally. I don't see any reasons of why we need to learn their language to communicate with them, if they want to communicate with us then they should be the ones to learn English! If you move to a country that doesn't speak English they expect you to learn their language so why shouldn't it be the same here.

And I also agree with chicagonut..specially the last part.
Fine. And like I said to ChiNut, nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM

[quote=borderlord;11563179]
Quote:
We are the most successful country on the planet. So I wouldn't say we need to keep up with the rest of the world.

I suppose I could learn spanish beyond my 3 years in High School and I would still NEVER understand how they (illegals) feel that it is OK to sneak into a country, ( against the law) be found with fraudelent ID's and SSN (against the law) drive without a license or insurance, ( against the law ) Sell fraudulent documents, ( aganst the law) and then demand their rights in a country in which they have no loyalty to, nor have any intention of abiding by that country's laws. To me, that is as arrogant as it gets.
Let people learn any language they wish to learn...but do not "adopt" spanish ( or any other language ) as a second official language as a means to accomodate people who do not belong here in the first place.
jmo
JMO? Well, fair enough. I still think it would be a good idea, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Lets just make English official and quite fooling around. Enough of the BS too with printing voting ballots and other ducuments in other languages.
Hold on. English is already the official language, isn't it? As for the printing of voting ballots and other ducuments in other languages, I would say these actions point to the need for adopting Spanish as a second language. Officially adopting, that is. Spanish is already the unofficial second language of America.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The only Spanish word I need to know to communicate with the illegal invaders is "adios".
LMAO! Actually, quite a funny response.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Then why haven't they learned English?

What is the reason for them not learning English?

Why can't they learn the language of the country they are occupying?
Good questions all. But these don't make the points in my OP less true, do they?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
But if Spanish was our official second language then more of us could communicate with the Spanish speaking illegals. We would better be able to influence their behavior.

I’m not sure about all the issues you mention here. But I think it would be easier to assimilate Spanish speaking illegals into our large and growing middle class if Spanish was America’s official second language.

How much Spanish does one need to get them into the back of a truck at Home Depot?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How much Spanish does one need to get them into the back of a truck at Home Depot?
I've seen it done with no Spanish whatsoever. A wad of currency speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration