Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I've seen it done with no Spanish whatsoever. A wad of currency speaks volumes.
Exactly, so since that is probably 90% of where all interactions take place by the 10% or less of the population hiring them it doesn't make sense for everyone to learn Spanish.

Makes more sense to communicate with the Chinese.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly, so since that is probably 90% of where all interactions take place by the 10% or less of the population hiring them it doesn't make sense for everyone to learn Spanish.

Makes more sense to communicate with the Chinese.
Depends on whether you want your gutters cleaned or your teeth cleaned.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Depends on whether you want your gutters cleaned or your teeth cleaned.
I can clean my own gutters. I want a professional to clean my teeth.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,678 times
Quote:
Fine. And like I said to ChiNut, nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?
Nope! I have no need to worry about working for a Spanish speaking Company.
The point is they are ILLEGALS in this Country..They should NOT have any privileges at all! No drivers license, no being able to vote, no opening a business, no sending kids to schools, no nothing!! Until they become legal US Citizen! It makes no since this Country bends over backwards for these Illegals and in return they bring drugs and gangs into our Country, take peoples jobs and they eat up our taxes. It is one thing if your a tourist, but another if you choose to live here.
IF we should have to learn Spanish, then they should have to learn English! Communication works both ways!

Last edited by wolfeyes; 11-10-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Fine. And like I said to ChiNut, nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?
No, why should we? The illegals are already teaching us that we don't have to speak the language of our employers to have a job.

Besides, the chances of an American being hired by a Spanish-speaking company here in the US is practically nil. If an American went overseas to Spain for a job, I am sure he or she would learn the language first.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Good questions all. But these don't make the points in my OP less true, do they?
OK, I'm going to start a new thread asking just those questions. Will you be able to participate in the discussion? Will you be able to answer the questions then?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:
If America sits on her heels and doesn’t adapt we won’t remain the most successful country on the planet for long. Increasing our language skills by adopting a second official U.S. language could be just the edge we need.

Ha ha! Your use of the word “subjected” tells me all I need to know about what you think of cultural diversity.

Fine. Nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?
What Spanish speaking companies are there in this country? Even Spanish speakers in this country usually know how to speak English except for the illegal invaders that is. At any rate I would never even apply for a job in such a place anyway. But more and more because of the invaders some companies are requiring that an applicant be required to speak Spanish and discriminating against native English speakers. Which is utter BS in this English speaking country.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:
Hold on. English is already the official language, isn't it? As for the printing of voting ballots and other ducuments in other languages, I would say these actions point to the need for adopting Spanish as a second language. Officially adopting, that is. Spanish is already the unofficial second language of America.
No, English is not our official language yet but it is our national language all the same. Why would we need voting ballots printed in Spanish or any other language when becoming a citizen requires knowledge of the English language? What's so damned special about Spanish speakers anyway? We should treat them special because many of them were border jumpers? Seems like the opposite approach would be more appropriate under those circumstances. You do realize that other languages are spoken in this country besides Spanish, don't you?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,838 times
Quote:
One of the problems we have with illegal immigrants in the U.S. is that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with them, and therefore we misunderstand them. Too few U.S. citizens speak a second language. Other countries are FAR ahead of us in this area. Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well. I think we would better understand and appreciate the illegal aliens living among us if we could communicate with them.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French. I suggest Spanish in addition to English for us here in America. Spanish is a logical choice since we already have so many Spanish speaking U.S. citizens. This would help to avoid falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills.

More importantly it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S. I think they would be more likely to seek American citizenship if Spanish was the official second U.S. language.
What about the illegal Haitian population in Miami. Should Miami residence become bilingual in creole to better understand them also. Where do you draw the line.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
I think what the original poster (and others who would argue that Spanish should become an official language of the US) is not recognizing is that while Europeans can speak multiple languages it is because of their close proximity to other countries and of course it is their choice.
Look, if we were say Germany we could pick five different languages to speak based on proximity alone.

By this logic, it is all and good for US citizens in our Southern border states to speak Spanish. They propably do - or at least enough to get by. But why should someone who lives in North Dakota need to recognize Spanish as a second official language? They wouldn't.

Plus, Europeans (and I'll include the British in the description) choose freely what languages to learn. They are not forced to in order to placate a large illegal population. The day France recognizes Arabic or England recognizes Polish or China recognizes Korean as an official language is the day you have some credence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration