U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Because:

A: about 40% of the businesses on the main street that runs along my neighborhood are Mexican, and a good chunk of those are likely undocumented. If they were ousted there'd be a ton of commercial vacancies, commercial building owners would go into foreclosure.

B: about 30% of my neighborhood is occupied by Mexicans and other Hispanics, with a good chunk of them undocumented, they were gone it would leave alot of vacancies in single family homes as well as multi-family dwellings which would cause more foreclosures, drive home prices down further, cause more vacancies, decay and property crime.

C:The increase in foreclosures would cause the property tax base to drop which would cut even more into city services, etc.

D: With all those people gone the local economy would be negatively impacted, local business would probably suddenly see a 30% drop in traffic, leading to more businesses closing, and adding to vacancies, foreclosures, etc.

Slig, while I can understand Your concern, You did mention (twice) the word "undocumented" . I'll bet that this demographic stat did not happen overnight, but took a few years to happen. In other words Your neighborhood not only allowed this to happen,but encouraged it to occur. Why build a neighborhood or community based upon ignoring the law and creating a "false economy" that was never there in the first place ?
Isn't it ironic that a neighborhood could be so negatively impacted simply because a law was enforced ?

Do You think it is the responsibility of the taxpayers in your neighborhood/ community/county/state , to foot the bill for Your poor choices?
What about the taxpayers in other states and their states and communities who are facing the same problems. ( maybe by their choice,maybe not) Should their federal tax money be spent to cover for Your states/communities failures, rather than their own problems ?

Slig, we're all bozos on this bus,but I think it is time to head in a different direction. We don't have enough money to tax us back into prosperity...

" The problem with socialism is that eventually You run out of other peoples money to spend"
Margaret Thatcher

Regards,
Borderlord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No business has the right to exist that isn't within our laws. No one has the right to be in our country illegally. It is unforunate that they created this mess but it is time to pay the pauper. We simply can't allow corruption to exist because it benefited "some" Americans. Life will go on and improve eventually for those neighborhoods and citizens. The neighhood's law abiding citizens should have objected long ago.
You don't understand how bad my neighborhood was before the Mexicans and Somalis occupied the area in the last 10 years. In the 90's Minneapolis was nicknamed "Murderapolis" and ground zero was on the southside in my community and the one bordering to the north. It's a much better neighborhood now, and there is no way we could afford to have it go back to how it was, it would be catastrophic. I agree that something should be done to improve the current system but you can't go and level out already existing infrastructure, aka already existing undocumented population. It would cause much more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You don't understand how bad my neighborhood was before the Mexicans and Somalis occupied the area in the last 10 years. In the 90's Minneapolis was nicknamed "Murderapolis" and ground zero was on the southside in my community and the one bordering to the north. It's a much better neighborhood now, and there is no way we could afford to have it go back to how it was, it would be catastrophic. I agree that something should be done to improve the current system but you can't go and level out already existing infrastructure, aka already existing undocumented population. It would cause much more harm than good.
On that same note Cities like Escondido have turned into giant Barrios that used to be nicer inner City neighborhoods, all thanks to the influx of Illegal Immigrant workers and their families. The schools in the area and even areas further out suffer thanks to busing programs that let them put their kids in schools around the County. ESL and the combination of NCLB has been a nasty combo for the school's Teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Send them up here then, anyone who can handle freezing their butts off in the winter is welcome in Minnesota as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Send them up here then, anyone who can handle freezing their butts off in the winter is welcome in Minnesota as far as I'm concerned.
Careful what you ask for There are 3 million and their families we can ship your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
We need more citizens up here to fill all the vacant properties in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper. I'm serious when I say they're welcome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
On that same note Cities like Escondido have turned into giant Barrios that used to be nicer inner City neighborhoods, all thanks to the influx of Illegal Immigrant workers and their families. The schools in the area and even areas further out suffer thanks to busing programs that let them put their kids in schools around the County. ESL and the combination of NCLB has been a nasty combo for the school's Teachers.
Escondido is a nice city. I don't think a city with a median family income of $58,000 is a Barrio. East Los Angeles, considered a true Barrio, has a median income of roughly $37,000. However, it is interesting to note that the economy of East LA would suffer if mass deportations were to occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
We need more citizens up here to fill all the vacant properties in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper. I'm serious when I say they're welcome here.
Eh? First you agreed to take in millions of illegals in MN and then you call them citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Eh? First you agreed to take in millions of illegals in MN and then you call them citizens?
Sorry for the confusion, I was going by the 2nd definition of the word "citizen."

1. a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection (distinguished from alien ).
2. an inhabitant of a city or town, esp. one entitled to its privileges or franchises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Do You think it is the responsibility of the taxpayers in your neighborhood/ community/county/state , to foot the bill for Your poor choices?
Borderlord
What do you mean my poor choices? I'm am not the landlord or comercial development owner who is renting to the undocumented. I'm just reaping the positive effects it has had on my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top