Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
We need more citizens up here to fill all the vacant properties in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper. I'm serious when I say they're welcome here.
Are you looking for working people that pay taxes to rent or buy these places or 15 Illegals in a 2 bed room apt and 10 cars parked on the lawns? Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words, as long as you are not directly impacted, all is well. Got it.
Listen pal, U.S. corporations' ability to compete with companies from China, India and other countries affects all Americans. The strength of our national economy depends on their ability to compete in the market.

The point I'm trying to make about people supposedly losing their jobs to undocumented workers is that I haven't seen any strong proof that it's happening and I think the same is for alot of the people who are bickering about it. At this point I'm convinced they are just trying to reach for excuses and pinning blame on undocumented workers, which in some ways it is similar to the Nazis blaming the Jews for all their mishaps...it just doesn't make sense to me and I refuse to buy into it. At some point people need to take responsibility.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Listen pal, U.S. corporations' ability to compete with companies from China, India and other countries affects all Americans. The strength of our national economy depends on their ability to compete in the market.

The point I'm trying to make about people supposedly losing their jobs to undocumented workers is that I haven't seen any strong proof that it's happening and I think the same is for alot of the people who are bickering about it. At this point I'm convinced they are just trying to reach for excuses and pinning blame on undocumented workers, which in some ways it is similar to the Nazis blaming the Jews for all their mishaps...it just doesn't make sense to me and I refuse to buy into it. At some point people need to take responsibility.
I’m not your pal, and I hear you loud and clear. It is your prerogative to embrace illegal immigration and all of its ramifications. It is also your prerogative to embrace global greed and the unscrupulous employers willing to sell their souls for profit. When the corporate elite lower wages to $.50/hr to remain competitive with the ‘slave’ wages paid in China and India, I’m sure it will be for the betterment of our country, and you will applaud their efforts.

No “excuses” are required. The veracity of the impact of massive illegal immigration is quite evident for all who choose to see.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:

Oh boy, here we go with the Nazi crap. I wondered how long it would take. Losing jobs is not the only thing involved in the costs of illegal immigration to U.S. citizens. It has all been discussed in here before over and over. Want to start with their healthcare costs and that would only be the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are you looking for working people that pay taxes to rent or buy these places or 15 Illegals in a 2 bed room apt and 10 cars parked on the lawns? Big difference.
I'm actually in the act of begging neighborhood organization to move towards increasing the density of the neighborhood, so the latter actually suits me just fine.

Quote:
I’m not your pal, and I hear you loud and clear. It is your prerogative to embrace illegal immigration and all of its ramifications. It is also your prerogative to embrace global greed and the unscrupulous employers willing to sell their souls for profit. When the corporate elite lower wages to $.50/hr to remain competitive with the ‘slave’ wages paid in China and India, I’m sure it will be for the betterment of our country, and you will applaud their efforts.

No “excuses” are required. The veracity of the impact of massive illegal immigration is quite evident for all who choose to see.
How are they selling their souls? They are taking advantage of an opportunity that lowers their labor costs and increases their operational efficiency, better allowing them to compete in their respected industry. "Slave" wages? How do you figure? Most of the time these jobs pay twice what the rest of the local economy in these places can provide. The people I know in places in Central America and Mexico who work for Coca-cola are pretty well off, with their cars and houses and from what I understand the situation is the same in places like China and Inda...which are both getting too expensive for alot of companies I might add. Alot of employers are now going to Eastern Europe for cheap labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh boy, here we go with the Nazi crap. I wondered how long it would take. Losing jobs is not the only thing involved in the costs of illegal immigration to U.S. citizens. It has all been discussed in here before over and over. Want to start with their healthcare costs and that would only be the tip of the iceberg.
I'm sorry but you can't help but notice the comparison. People need to quit crying about getting laid off and instead be motivated to work harder to succeed, that would be a whole lot more American and respectable in my mind. I've seen arguments with healthcare costs going back and forth. Honestly, I think it would be pretty easy to correct that problem by stricter enforcement of government aided healthcare to prevent fraud and better accountability for collecting on health bills. I would agree that just giving out free emergency room healthcare to whoever walks in is silly, it makes much more sense to bill them and then collect by any means necessary, start garnishing paychecks, repo property and possessions, etc.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-11-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm actually in the act of begging neighborhood organization to move towards increasing the density of the neighborhood, so the latter actually suits me just fine.

How are they selling their souls? They are taking advantage of an opportunity that lowers their labor costs and increases their operational efficiency, better allowing them to compete in their respected industry. "Slave" wages? How do you figure? Most of the time these jobs pay twice what the rest of the local economy in these places can provide. The people I know in places in Central America and Mexico who work for Coca-cola are pretty well off, with their cars and hosues and from what I understand the situation is the same in places like China and Inda...which are both getting too expensive for alot of companies I might add. Alot of employers are now going to Eastern Europe for cheap labor.
You remind me of those who justified slavery. After all, you sure can’t beat the profits realized from paying zero wages. Why not move all of our jobs to foreign countries. That would certainly increase the profits of the greedy corporations. There’s only one problem . . . . where would the citizens of this country work? We may soon have that answer.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
[quote=Slig;11583857]I'm actually in the act of begging neighborhood organization to move towards increasing the density of the neighborhood, so the latter actually suits me just fine.

I hope you are planning on living in this squalor too or are you just happy to pass this mess onto the existing community while lining your pocket slum lord style?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You remind me of those who justified slavery. After all, you sure can’t beat the profits realized from paying zero wages. Why not move all of our jobs to foreign countries. That would certainly increase the profits of the greedy corporations. There’s only one problem . . . . where would the citizens of this country work? We may soon have that answer.
You make it sound like I'm the only one who has accepted this fact. Try and find a U.S. based fortune 500 company that doesn't outsource at least one part of it's business out of the country. You need to read some books on globalization, get out of the 80's.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You make it sound like I'm the only one who has accepted this fact. Try and find a U.S. based fortune 500 company that doesn't outsource at least one part of it's business out of the country. You need to read some books on globalization, get out of the 80's.
I am well-versed on global economics. I simply have the ability to realize the damage it is doing to our country. Perhaps one day you will open your eyes, before it is too late. Things are not always as they appear.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
I'm not overly concerned about either of those possibilities but both are risks well worth all the benefits I receive from them being here. Plus since I'm bilingual it has opened up alot of career opportunities I wouldn't have had. If it wasn't for the state of California's huge Spanish speaking population I wouldn't have the job that I have right now.
So by your own words we see what motivates you. Regardless of the negative impact upon others as long as you stand to gain then it is ok.
No better than the mentality of the average drug dealer. They dont care who is hurt as long as it isnt them and they can make a profit.
I care about my neighbors and their children. I care about my fellow americans above all others on this planet. That is what seperates those of us with honor from those of us with none. Illegal immigration is not a victimless crime. Often the illegals themselves are victims. Only a very few stand to gain anything in this equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration