Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,179 times

Advertisements

nvxplorer: -I very much agree with you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 PM

340 posts, read 744,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
Maybe it's me. Before I my girlfriend and I moved to Kansas City, and right after we graduated from college back home in NYC, we worked for three months on the Texas border with all types of people and it was fantastic. I learned Spanish by working beside migrant workers. These people were so dear to me.

I am so tired of:

1. People calling them "illegals". It is mean-spirited and completely uncharitible. What happened to the charity that the people of this nation are supposed to possess?

2. This war against other human beings that is nothing more than a thinly veiled racism.

3. Absolute fear of learning something new. People don't want Spanish to become prevalent in this country. When I was in college I engaged in a study abroad program in a country where there were 5 languages! It was fantastic! It was really interesting.

Undocumented workers are not taking our jobs. They are primarily occupying low-end jobs that pay very little, and they work hard and do it for their familes. Obviously, this country has some wealth to go around, yes?
Yes, I am tired of the war (Lack Of) against Illegals...

Secure the Border, Round em' up, Ship em' off... War Over...

Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,179 times
Cribster, most of those people who entered the U.S. did so on a temporary bases, and will leave in time. I agree with you that far too many are coming to stay.

The 7 Million illegals working number is based on an estimate of 11 million illegals total in 2005, not counting many who work off the books. If there are actually thirty million illegals in the U.S., then the number working is MUCH higher than 7 million.

I will not Even try to argue about the actual number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. My point is that most DO work, -which is causing PLENTY of problems of it's own for U.S. citizen workers.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:14 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
did so on a temporary bases, and will leave in time

REALLY? I don't think any other country would do for them, what we do!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:14 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Just giving my 2 cents...again.
HUh.....I came over on a visitation (temp) visa (3 months validation), just to find out if I would like it here, or not.
Guess what...I liked it here, it's my home "away from home", and I STAYED....
I feel comfortable here, and the possibilities are endless. If I would have felt, that the US is not good, I would have never, ever stayed.
So, if I feel that way, coming from a modern edge country like Germany, and stayed, what do you think the hispanics are doing?
What the hell would they go back to....their slums?
Nope, I am saying with 100% certainty that they would stay, and NOT go back on where they came from!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This describes my anger as well. I simply do not like sneaky, dishonest people. I also do not like arrogant people. Demanding rights that do not exist combined with belligerant nationalism/ethnic supremacy is the height of arrogance.

My liberal friends are quick to point out nationalistic Americans. I agree with them; I also dislike belligerant Americans. What I don't understand is why the far-left pro-illegal crowd despises extreme nationalism only when it is displayed by Americans. When foreign nationals do it, suddenly it becomes "pride in one's heritage."
That's an accurate statement for sure. Well put. It just demonstrates the liberal agenda; they want the votes of the illegal aliens. Down here in Texas, the Texas Senate has been in gridlock over an issue of showing picture IDs when you vote. The Republicans want people to show a picture ID when they vote and the Democrats are screaming RACISM and intolerance toward the poor. What? How is it racist and intolerant to the poor when you're simply asked to prove who you are before voting? You have to show an ID to get on a plane, in some cases to buy liquor or cigarettes, to cash a check, but VOTING - something that determines the very fabric of this country is off limits? The liberals merely want to skew the voting process in their favor and will stop at nothing to gain the power to which they feel they are entitled. This country is going downhill, and fast - our whole political process is more corrupt than it has ever been and I fear within 10 - 20 years that we will have gone too far, if not already.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
What war??? We're just welcoming them with open arms as far as I can see?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Angry Illegal immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have plenty of friends of hispanic origin, name a country...
I also find the different cultures very interesting...

HOWEVER, if you break the law to enter this country...you are in essence illegal.

Do you have children in the struggling public school system?? I do, how much less would the system be struggling if we didn't have to educate peoples children who are not contributing to the taxes that pay for education...I wouldn't dream of going to someone elses country and taking resources meant for citizens...

In Mexico, pregnant women walk across the boarder just in time to drop their children on American soil, just so that kid is an American citizen...if I went to England and had a child, if both parents were American, the child would be American...NOT English...

Its time to change the laws so countries like Mexico can use our country as a dumping ground rather then doing what it takes to make their country better...no wonder they don't want a fence between the US and Mexico, they might actually have to do something to take care of their own citizens rather then leaving that to us.

Isn't it odd that you don't see Canadians doing this??
I live in Arizona and I too am sick and tired of what is happening in this country. As for the couple who feel that the illegals are not taking jobs that "white" people used to do.....BS. Have you gone to a trac housing developement? My husband is a licensed electrician that would now not survive on the prevailing wage in construction. Why? Because a illegal Mexican will do it for less, that's why. How does the illegal do this for less you say. This is how....if my husband and I didn't have to pay a house payment on a home that houses the two of us, if we didn't have to pay our car insurance, registration, medical insurance, dental insurance and grocery bill plus all the taxes we pay out of our paychecks, we too could live on much less. Get rid of them....the ones that benefit from the illegal population are the wealthy. It's all about greed and laziness. Wake up people.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

127 posts, read 378,317 times
Quote:
Maybe it's me. Before I my girlfriend and I moved to Kansas City, and right after we graduated from college back home in NYC, we worked for three months on the Texas border with all types of people and it was fantastic. I learned Spanish by working beside migrant workers. These people were so dear to me.

I am so tired of:

1. People calling them "illegals". It is mean-spirited and completely uncharitible. What happened to the charity that the people of this nation are supposed to possess?

2. This war against other human beings that is nothing more than a thinly veiled racism.

3. Absolute fear of learning something new. People don't want Spanish to become prevalent in this country. When I was in college I engaged in a study abroad program in a country where there were 5 languages! It was fantastic! It was really interesting.

Undocumented workers are not taking our jobs. They are primarily occupying low-end jobs that pay very little, and they work hard and do it for their familes. Obviously, this country has some wealth to go around, yes?
I have been friends with Latin Americans throughout my life and I remember a friend from Colombia who told me they laugh at our bleeding hearts in private and I don't doubt that. They also don't really consider themselves as one. The ones in Latin America that appear Euro or Spanish were stylish and educated. They did not like the Indian types. And the only thing they have in common with Mexicans is the language.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,324 times
Quote:

I am so tired of:

Here's my bottom line issue, as the child of legal immigrants: If one seeks the protection of a sovereign's laws, they should submit themselves to the jurisdiction of those laws. At the very least. Illegals, unauthorized, undocumented, whatever. They have violated this principle. Until they submit themselves to the jurisdiction of the laws of America, they should not share in the benefits of those who have. That would be uncharitable to the actual citizens of this nation. In a world of limited resources, we must prioritize. And I think many would contend that your last sentence is false, and we do not have wealth to go to undocumented when there are needy people in America who are going without, when there are people waiting in the immigration line who are just as needy as these undocumented. The issue of charity you are describing seems to be selective, and excludes certain people equally deserving of that charity, if not more so, because of the rules and regulations they have respected and adhered to.

Undocumented workers are essentially cutting in line. That is a slap in the face of the process, that is a slap in the face of those who decide to demonstrate how much they want the protection of this nation's laws by submitting themselves to its jurisdiction, and abiding by the process. It's like if you run one mile around a track. Some people run all four laps around the track. Some people cut across the track (like some of us might have done when we were in middle school when the teacher wasn't looking). They aren't the same, they haven't run the same amount, and they aren't entitled to the same result.

It's tremendously insulting to see the support for treating undocumented workers the same as those who respect this country enough to abide by any rule imposed. It's the same with regular laws. If a law-breaker is treated the same as a person that respects laws, I would believe the person who respects the laws would feel tremendous insult and affront at this.

Citizenship should be earned. It's not an entitlement for the entire world. Those that respect the rules should be recognized as such in a substantive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration